Ramus Tal - The Sea Wolf!

"We are either tools, or weapons."

Moderator: Snag

Ramus Tal - The Sea Wolf!

Postby wunderworks » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Ramus Tal
Family Name: Tal - Abundant Field (literally: Abundant Earth (Veth) from which Springs the Blooded (Hajkalay)
Invoke to gain 3 dice when Ramus leads others
Tag for 2 bonus dice when attempting to have Ramus trust his inner circle.
Compel Gain a Style Point when attempting to help your allies and the Veth.
Public Name: Ramus - The Scepter (The Tool of Kings and Emperors)
Invoke to gain 1 die when Ramus works to forward the interests of his Liege
Secret Name: ******** (tu es vengé!)

Three Things
1. He is the Infamous Sea Wolf
2. The People Love Him
3. Only his sister knows his past

Title: The Sea Wolf, His Excellency, the Count of Akre, Lord Grey

Family
Mother - Tal Baroness of the Wolf (submissive)
Father - ******** Marquis of the Elk (dominant)
Older Brother - dead
Older Sister - 2nd born - Lady Grey - Sonaj Steele
Ramus was 3rd born

Personal
The Shadow of the Wolf
Married: to Vengeance, she takes the form of my sister. She holds our lands while I seek out our enemies.
No Children

Strength: W Cunning: 4 Courage: 3 Beauty: 2 Wisdom: 2 Prowess: 4

Aspects (1 Bonus Point)
The Sea Wolf
Ramus is feared by others as a capable pirate, skilled swordsman, and a wicked debater. The wise are careful when they speak to him lest he call them out in a duel for having insulted him with their foolishness.
Invoke: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to influence others.
Tag: Tag for 2 bonus dice to uncover my identity when I try to hide it from someone.
Compel: "I have a reputation to maintain." Gain a style point to maintain my ruthless fame.

Able Seaman
Home at a life at sea, Ramus has become a capable sailor, but has picked up their bad habits as well. He can haul lines, climb, and pick up large barrels. But he has also picked up salty language, course manners, and ignoble attitudes.
Invoke: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting Strength Risks that sailors might do.
Tag: Tag for 2 bonus dice when pointing out his flawed manners.
Compel: Gain a style point to revel in the Sailor's Delights - salty language, course manners, and questionable behavior.

The Subtle Senvu
The Tulpa Senvu, the swordsman who fights with the subtle hand. The left-handed warrior is feared by his opponents as he can slip through their every block and deal lightening quick death as he changes the angles of all blocks and attacks as easily as he switches the hand holding his weapon. No angles help though when facing an enemy with a ranged weapon. As a master swordsman it is dishonorable to use my blade against the defenseless.
Invoke: Gain 3 bonus dice when fighting with the same hand as your opponent.
Tag: Tag for 2 bonus dice when fighting an enemy armed with a hand held ranged weapon (bow, gun, magic item).
Compel: Ramus gains a Style Point when he is compelled to spare a defenseless opponent.

Well Traveled
Ramus has traveled as much as most Falcons - his Senior Ship master is a Falcon - and he knows a lot about different ven, their lands, and what is going on. You would to if you drink in a different port every week. Being as busy as he is Ramus has little time to peruse ancient tomes of knowledge. That, however, does not make him incurious.
Invoke: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting real-world based knowledge risks.
Tag: Tag for 2 bonus dice when attempting a risk about ancient or book knowledge.
Compel: Ramus gains a Style Point when compelled to pry into a current event.

Eyes of Sorrow
Ramus has grey eyes. Some say that those born with grey are born to mourn as they see things others do not see. They see the world as dark, cold, and as bitter while those with green eyes see the joy in the world, brown eyed ven are said to see the work, and blue eyed ven see knowledge that will benefit the world. The grey are doomed to see the awful truth.
Invoke: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to see the world as it really is.
Tag: Tag for 2 bonus dice to show Ramus the evil in others.
Compel: Ramus gains a Style Point when compelled to assume the worst about a situation.

Contacts
1. Telamon Sinjin - His Sailing Master
2. TBD

Devotions (1 Bonus Point)
1. Suaven Shajar Sheeda - The Silver Fang - Devotion (3) - The Subtle Hand, Teeth and Claws, Wolf Downs the Elk
2. Suaven Alexei Ballan - The Unseen Elk - Devotion (1) - Elk Outwits the Wolf

Artifact (2 Bonus Points)
The Shadow Blade
A Swift and Subtle blade made of Orichalcum. The Shadow Blades were said to have been the swords used by the Senvu Guard of the Sorcerer Kings. Carried by each Senvu candidate, on the darkest night into their ritual of initiation, these golden Orichalcum blades became a deep black and seemed to grant their owners preternatural swiftness and maneuverability. The Senvu Guard were able react at speeds that defied logic. One moment their blade was in their scabbard and the next they were inside their opponent's guard. Ramus can spend a Style point to gain three points towards any strike bid. He may also spend a Style point to gain two free wagers in any Prowess Risk.

Sorcery (1 Bonus Point)
The Bloody Portal (Kalay Haj - The journey returning to one's own blood.)
This ritual creates a lodestone that sings to the sorcerer's blood and allows the sorcerer to travel to the lodestone. To create the lodestone the Sorcerer recites the ritual as they coat the object in their own blood (Rank 1 Injury). The sorcerer now always knows the direction the lodestone. The sorcerer can at any time within a year and a day repeat two key words and the name of the lodestone. This opens a portal for the sorcerer to the lodestone.

The portal is not direct. It carries the sorcerer and whoever journeys with them along a winding howling path, a path that only the mad open their eyes upon. Eventually, the path opens onto a portal that stands before the lodestone. To the observer the journey seems instantaneous. Each portal closes as soon as the sorcerer steps through them. Thus, any companions must enter the path before the sorcerer and exit before he does.

Maneuvers
Injure (1)

Domain
County Akre & The Falize Barony

Regions:
Karak Castle: Level 1 with a Shrine to Suaven Alexei Ballan - The Unseen Elk
Falize Village: Level 1 with a Shrine to Suaven Shajar Sheeda - The Silver Fang
The Red Coast: Level 1 Shoreline
Grunestal Farms: Level 2 Farmlands

Vassals
Spouse: Lady Grey, my sister
Personal Guard (1): The officers of the Vrentae
Secret Army (2): The crew of the Vrentae
Spy Network (1): The Occidental Society - sailing merchants
Roadmen (1): Buccaneers - hunters and explorers of Akre
Last edited by wunderworks on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Ramus Adrente

Postby wunderworks » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm not completely happy with the last two Aspects - can anyone help me out firming them up? Particularly the Tags and also the Compel for the Wily Aspect.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:01 am

I think that Wily is a bit broad in its applications.

The other thing I am seeing is the contradicting elements in the last two Aspects.

Vengeance keeps him narrow-minded and focused on his goal. Yet he tries not to be predictable.

If I knew of his vengeance, I would expect to use it against him, calculating his moves based on what his Revenge goals were... But the Wily Aspect sort of cancels that, doesn't it.

I'm trying to come up with a good Tag and Compel for Wily but I'm not quite there either because I see where you're going with this.

Perhaps his Vengeance is too broad? Narrow it down to a person/persons responsible. This ensures that he is unpredictable and surprising unless it comes to Revenge. He uses Wily, unless he's in Revenge mode, essentially...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:05 am

Nihilistic Mind wrote:I think that Wily is a bit broad in its applications.

The other thing I am seeing is the contradicting elements in the last two Aspects.

Vengeance keeps him narrow-minded and focused on his goal. Yet he tries not to be predictable.

If I knew of his vengeance, I would expect to use it against him, calculating his moves based on what his Revenge goals were... But the Wily Aspect sort of cancels that, doesn't it.

I'm trying to come up with a good Tag and Compel for Wily but I'm not quite there either because I see where you're going with this.

Perhaps his Vengeance is too broad? Narrow it down to a person/persons responsible. This ensures that he is unpredictable and surprising unless it comes to Revenge. He uses Wily, unless he's in Revenge mode, essentially...

Actually that seems to sum him up nicely, much better and more concretely than I could. He was more of a story in my head and I hadn'y quite figured him out yet. Thank You.

His revenge is definitely against a group of powerful people (to be determined), but he also sees his life as one large act of revenge against a system that betrayed his parents - still working on those details. Thus he is gaming the current system (piracy) while retaining his status as a blooded of the ven. Wily is too broad, I need to narrow its field, but still not sure how. Maybe make it sort of like a sneaky aspect that applies to misdirection attempts. A, "LOOK OVER THERE!" aspect. ^_^ I'm still stuck on the Revenge Tag though. Ugh.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 am

Bitter Milk of Revenge

Tag: "Pick Your Moment" - When others attempt to get the character to stay his revenge for a more opportune time, they get two bonus dice.

(Also Ben, I'm dying for an excuse to make an aspect something like this:

"Look! It's a 1967 Chevy Distraction with Dual Cams!")
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby wunderworks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:22 am

Snag wrote:Bitter Milk of Revenge

Tag: "Pick Your Moment" - When others attempt to get the character to stay his revenge for a more opportune time, they get two bonus dice.

(Also Ben, I'm dying for an excuse to make an aspect something like this:

"Look! It's a 1967 Chevy Distraction with Dual Cams!")

Emily, my wife who you haven't met yet (but might come to the play test), works with me in the same office and she had to ask why I was coughing and laughing so hard as I read your post.

I've been spending every idle moment, btw, trying to come up with a sig quote that is better than your "My Plains produce Win!"

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

So I updated Ramus, what do you all think?

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 am

I like the Eyes of Sorrow :)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:05 am

Tsanuri wrote:I like the Eyes of Sorrow :)

Thanks! I was trying to come up with something to help his Cunning out, where he picks up details, and I remember this short story I read a long time ago about Civil War sharpshooters having a lot of grey eyed members in their ranks. They said that grey eyed people had better vision, but they also saw the world more grey than anyone else. I am horrible at describing stories, but needless to say, it was excellent and has stuck with me. This is where the Aspect Sprung from.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Ramus Tal

Postby wunderworks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 am

I have updated Ramus to include the ideas I've been wanting to incorporate since abandoning the idea of another character to play in Living Shanri.

What do you think of the changes? Specifically, I changed his family to Tal and developed a meaning to that family's name. I dropped one of the Aspects since it didn't really work in the Live Action, and I reworked his sword and added a dash of Sorcery. There were also some cosmetic changes to his lands and vassals.

Tell me what you think. :)

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Blooded of the Wolf