Fyx Sheeda

"We are either tools, or weapons."

Moderator: Snag

Fyx Sheeda

Postby JLHBurnett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 pm

I want to make a warrior-poet--a man who's adept with verse as well as violence. He sees swordplay as an art-form. He'll probably be a bit of a bravo, and I've come to enjoy playing "kinda' dim" characters over the years. This character could work as either a Fox or a Wolf, depending on where I want to focus his abilities.

Let's roll for them parents!
It just so happens I get a 4 (Fox) and a 6 (Wolf). Honest!
I decide to make my mother the Fox, and my father the Wolf. Kind of predictable, but oh well. I roll some more dice. Mom gets a 2, Dad gets a 5. Look's like Father was the dominant spouse.

I'm starting to like the idea of the cocksure bravo, so I decide to take the martial route and chose to make my character a Wolf.

I roll for siblings and discover that I am the fifth of five children. Ah ha! I'm the baby. While my father harshly drilled me in swordplay, my mother obviously spoiled me and introduced me to the arts and poetry.

More dice roll, and it looks like I have two brothers and two sisters. Oh! I'll make them two sets of identical twins. Is there something sinister going on in my family?

Finally I check my parents' status. I roll a 1. Just lowly Barons. I haven't used any of my three points yet, so I may as well bump the roll up to 4 and make my parents a Count and Countess.

Time to pick a name. I don't want to use the major Wolf name "Adrente." Looking at the list of Wolf names, I choose "Sheeda" beacause Grant Morrison had a cool race of evil critters in Seven Soldiers called The Sheeda. Scanning through the list of first names, the phrase "I am alive" catches my attention. I like that--affirming, sure, bold. I choose the name that goes with it, "Fyx."

Baron Fyx Sheeda, blooded of House Wolf!

Time to pick a wife. I decide to make her a Serpent, and the dominant one at that. I name her Deta Mwrr. Her sorcerous family might have something to do with the twins in my family. Some insidious ritual no doubt. Fyx isn't wise or interested enough to deal with most of the household duties, so he's going to be the submissive one in the marriage. This may have been part of the marriage arrangement between the Mwrr and Sheedas as well. I decide that we don't have any children.

Time to choose virtues. Even though he's Blooded of the Wolf, I decide to make Beauty his highest Virtue. Wisdom will be his weakness. Fyx spent most of his childhood learning swordplay or reading poetry and romances. He wasn't a very good study. No, wait! Maybe his parents deliberately kept him under-educated, so he wouldn't recognize whatever insidious rituals and pacts they were performing. The Sheeda family is turning out to be pretty shady.

Here's how my Virtues break down, including the bonus point for house Wolf.
Strength: 2
Cunning: 2
Courage: 3
Beauty: 4
Wisdom: weakness
Prowess: 4
Fyx is good in a fight and has an eye for the artistic. Slick-talking and brave, he is perhaps a bit reckless. He's not too bright, and probably a bit clumsy. Just the type of character I like to play!

Let's get some Aspects.

Bravo Swordsman
Invoke: Three extra dice when fighting with a sword.
Tag: Fyx's sword style (Sheeda Do'Kay, Talon of the Iron Wolf) was designed for an urban environment. When forced to fight in the wilderness, his opponents can tag him for extra dice.
Compel: It's a great dishonor to back down from a fight. If challenged to a duel, others can compel Fyx to accept the challenge, no matter how foolish that might be.

Poetic Heart
Invoke: Three extra dice when reciting or creating romantic poetry.
Tag: Fyx thinks with his heart more than his head. Females can tag this aspect for extra dice when trying to persuade him to do something.
Compel: Fyx is easily distracted by music and verse. Other players can Compel him to focus attention on nearby poetic performances, ignoring the rest of his surroundings.

On to contacts. Since I'm not part of a group yet, I pick an NPC. Let's make Tshanja Tal, Fyx's old fencing instructor. Old Tal is in the Winter of his life, and Solace madness is starting to effect him. Fyx trusts the old man more than anyone.

For Devotions, Fyx splits his worship between Ashalim Avendi, Falvren Dyr, and Talia Yvari. Falvren and Talia are the Suaven of his childhood. As he's grown older and more independent, he's grown more curious of Ashalim, the Beggar Brigand.

Now for my Province, which I decide to call Tatvash Ni Devah ("Valley With the Light of a Thousand Fireflies").
Devah Castle (1)
Village of Kendrik (1)
Avendi Farm (1)
Sunrise Hills (1)
Sunset Hills (1)
Kalistos Forest (1)
Dredmire Swamp (1)

Time for Vassals.
The Valley Wardens (Roadmen 2)
Gus (Valet 2)
The Thorned Wolves (Personal Guard 1)

Bonus Points, then I'm done.
Three points go to a Bloodsword. This was a wedding gift from my parents. I imagine it as a dark red falchion decorated with a wolf/heart motif.
My fourth point boosts my village to 2, and the fifth point improves my personal guard to Rank 2.

Now I'm done!
Here's how Fyx looks...

Baron Fyx Sheeda of Tatvah Ni Devah, Blooded of the Wolf
Virtues
Strength: 2
Cunning: 2
Courage: 3
Beauty: 4
Wisdom: weakness
Prowess: 4

Aspects
Bravo Swordsman
Poetic Heart

Devotions
Ashalim 1
Falvren 1
Talia 1

Items
Bloodsword 3

Contacts
Tshanja Tal

Domain
Devah Castle (1)
Village of Kendrik (2)
Avendi Farm (1)
Sunrise Hills (1)
Sunset Hills (1)
Kalistos Forest (1)
Dredmire Swamp (1)

Vassals
The Valley Wardens (Roadmen 2)
Gus (Valet 2)
The Thorned Wolves (Personal Guard 2)

Three True Things about Deta Mwrr
Sorceress
Hair White as Snow
Keeps a Giant Cobra in the Dungeons

Three True Things about Tshanja Tal
In his Winter Aspect
Honestly Likes Fyx
Collects Raven Skulls.

Three True Things about Gus the Valet
Mute
In his Autumn Phase
Married to the Cook
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Re: Fyx Sheeda

Postby ElectricPaladin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 pm

So, technically, you have to roll for your wife's existence, too. But I won't tell if you don't. And if you're willing to remember this kindness when the time comes.

Great character in all ways, though. I may steal him for a game. A poetic soul with a vicious side, ignorant of the scheming going on around him, but passionate enough to make that to everyone's detriment.
ElectricPaladin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:18 am

I like the character. I've been thinking about some sort of warrior poet as well. But that NPC hasn't turned out so well. I might pattern her on your character.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby JLHBurnett » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback! :)

And ohmigosh! They discovered a map of Fyx Sheedah's lands!
http://housesoftheblooded.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Postby scowilli5 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:56 pm

2 style points for the map. Great character I may steal him as well. He's the kind of characters that's passionate enough to get into trouble but lacks the wisdom to get out of it. One things for sure he won't go quietly.
scowilli5

Return to Blooded of the Wolf