Ashkelion Yvarai as character

"Never enough."

Moderator: Snag

Ashkelion Yvarai as character

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Okay, this is my first take on a character I would like to play.

The character is based around a movie title that acquires a whole new meaning when put into context of ven society: "I know what you did last summer." With this foundation, I decide that my character uses movie titles as aspects and meanings.

Also, I know that I am most interested in playing a Fox, Serpent or Wolf. All these virtues interest me. Especially, Beauty of the Fox seems to be a very useful virtue to have in this game. So I am aiming for a gossipy character who is set to exploit the neat new mechanics of the game (Romance, Art, Insults, Speeches, and Contracts).

First, I am going to roll up the family:

Father: a Fox
Mother: a Serpent
First born, 4 surviving siblings (3 brothers and 1 sister)
The title of his parents is/was "Count".
Also, Ashkelion is married.

Then it is time to choose the house. I choose Fox as my house and Yvarai as my family.

Now, naming the character. I was planning on Ush'tay, because I like sound and meaning of the name. But, alas, there so many Ush'tay's in my home and convention games, that I am going for "Ashkelion" here. The meaning of this name is "The Lion in Winter". I am not going to reveal the character's secret name here.

I distribute my virtues like this:
Strength of the Bear: 2
Cunning of the Elk: 2
Courage of the Falcon: Weakness
Beauty of the Fox: 4
Wisdom of the Serpent: 3
Prowess of the Wolf: 4

Ashkelion is more at home at parties and castles than out in the wilderness. He has a sharp tongue and can take care of the resulting duels.

His aspects are:

"I know what you did last summer."
Ashkelion is a known court gossip and well connected among the younger nobility.
Invoke: He can invoke his aspect to know something about another character. Especially, things the other character would have liked to remain hidden.
Tag: Someone can tag this aspect to when being known as a gossip hurts the reputation of Ashkelion or when Ashkelion's integrity is at stake.
Compel: The aspect can be compelled to have Ashkelion hunt for latest gossip.

Rebel without a cause
Ashkelion likes to test the boundaries of accepted ven social norm.
Invoke: He can invoke the aspect to Insult and disgrace people.
Tag: Someone can tag this aspect when lack of manners and respect could hurt Ashkelion.
Compel: The aspect can be compelled to have Ashkelion behave inapropriately or to have him Insult someone of higher social standing.

Of the suaven, Ashkelion ist devoted to Talia Yvarai (Rank 2) and Gwanal Yvarai, the suaven of Forbidden Love (Rank 1).

His barony looks like this:
Llangollan Castle (rank 1)
Caellyr Village (rank 1)
Bran Forest (rank 2)
Bodhmin Swamp (rank 2)
Carowen Shoreline (rank 1)

His vassals are:
Wife: Kavamadii Thayl (rank 1)
The Servants of Llangollan (rank 1)
Mxura, the Herold (rank 1)
The Veil of Dys (rank 1 spy network)
Yvaya Brandurlan (rank 2 roadmen)

His bonus points are spent on:

Durbin Fort (rank 1 ruins)
An additional aspect: "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon"
The sorceries inherited from his Serpent mother:
"The Curse"
"The Oath"
"The Twins"

Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon
Ashkelion has studied the swordplay of the Wolves and the art of the sanjien of the Foxes. From this, he has developed his own refinements of the fighting style both deadly and beautiful.
Invoke: Ashkelion can invoke this aspect in a formal duel.
Tag: Someone who studies his fighting style can point out its weaknesses. Tag this aspect to gain two dice in a duel against Ashkelion.
Compel: He still seeks to prove the validity of his fighting style, so Ashkelion actively seeks out duels. Compel this aspect to have Ashkelion issue a challenge either of a true or imagined slight.

So, that is my first character.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Re: Ashkelion Yvarai as character

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Pretty cool. I like the idea of using movie titles for your Aspects. I am curious as to what his fighting style weakness is.
FCWesel

Postby ElectricPaladin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:25 pm

I like it, and I'm very pleased with the idea of us populating Shanri with ven on this board... it will make running the game much easier.
ElectricPaladin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:25 pm

FCWesel wrote:Pretty cool. I like the idea of using movie titles for your Aspects. I am curious as to what his fighting style weakness is.

I am going to steal the weakness from one of players. The style is not really suited to mass murder and leaves Ashkelion at a serious disadvantage. Opponents can tag the Aspect "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" to gain two dice against Ashkelion in mass murder.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Return to Blooded of the Fox