Attention John: HotBlooded online chat suggestion

Suggestions for making "Houses of the Blooded" a better game and a better website. One suggestion per post, please.

Moderator: Snag

Attention John: HotBlooded online chat suggestion

Postby jeffszusz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 am

Hey John, I just noticed your call out (on livejournal) for a suggestion for an online HotBlooded chat - I think your best bet is to get an IRC applet set up on housesoftheblooded.net and have it connect to an already-established Internet Relay Chat network and join your room.

This means you don't have to run a chat server, or fork out money for someone else to run it for you. It also means that many players (like me) can use our own IRC clients if we so choose.

As a side benefit, players can create a nigh infinite number of rooms for seperate games, separate rooms in a castle, out of character chatter, etc. just by joining a room that doesn't exist yet - the room is created on the fly.

My favorite applet for IRC is free; it's called Mibbit; check it out at http://www.mibbit.com/

Edit: If you go this route, i'll be joining you with a close to 24/7 presence from X-Chat (my local client of choice)!
jeffszusz

Re: Attention John: HotBlooded online chat suggestion

Postby wunderworks » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:13 pm

That's an excellent suggestion. Do you have any ideas regarding character sheet storage or online dice rolling for the IRC?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby jeffszusz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:42 pm

As for dice rolling, there are plenty of free dice bots out there; In fact, I believe irc.magicstar.net has one that's integral to the server and doesn't need anyone to run a bot themselves.

If the available dicebots aren't ideal, anyone with Google can write a dice script if they want to take the time for it. I could always ask the guys I know of who already write their own dicebots, if need be.

For character sheet storage, i'm not sure how you'd do it on IRC if you need it automated. We usually email our charsheets to the GM or post them on forums in the groups I've played in.
jeffszusz

Postby wunderworks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:16 pm

So I just came across this article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 ... yed-dd.ars

HOLY COW! As soon as I can get on Wave I'm all over this. What does everyone else think? Anyone have Wave access yet and what do _you_ think?

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:23 am

I'm already testing Wave for RPGs. I totally failed to get into the Twitter thing - too many factors against it for my style of play - but I'm liking Wave. Once I've got my head around all the functions and I free up a little more time I was thinking of starting a game and mentioning it here...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 am

Tsanuri wrote:I'm already testing Wave for RPGs. I totally failed to get into the Twitter thing - too many factors against it for my style of play - but I'm liking Wave. Once I've got my head around all the functions and I free up a little more time I was thinking of starting a game and mentioning it here...

OMG! Do you have any Invites left!? :)

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Unfortunately not, but soon... sooooon :) I really want the full version so we can customize the panels for a HotB Game
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh, As an aside, rather than just waiting on me getting a fresh batch of invites, why not try https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignup/ and tell them why yo want it... RPG use would really test it out and prob be good for finding faults
Keith Fyans

Postby jeffszusz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:42 pm

I've been using Wave and i'm wondering really what would make it more useful for RPGs than a chat or forum?

There's no real definite linear timeline involved, and anyone can edit anything on the page. This is good for writing a story perhaps, but playing a live RPG? It's looking like a really great replacement for email and facebook messaging, and it has some features a forum could benefit from (like inserting messages between messages that are already written) but it doesn't really replace Chatting for me.
jeffszusz

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Well, join my Wave (search for Houses of the Blooded), join up and we can take it up from there :)

Personally all the 'problems' you list are advantages in a Friendly Game. Sure, someone could edit and twink the game, but they are wankers and the replay funtion would trip them. It is chat with grouping and tyhe ability to go back and edit and amend, and better yet to do this live if you want.

I like the idea, it may not work, but I'm gonna try it out.
Keith Fyans

Next

Return to Suggestions and Feedback