Optional Rule - Larger Armies Opinions?

Suggestions for making "Houses of the Blooded" a better game and a better website. One suggestion per post, please.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Optional Rule - Larger Armies Opinions?

Postby LiquidWeird » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:18 pm

roc wrote:Also Martial Law.... if your areas are setup properly (given enough time to do so) one set of farms could support 12-20 Secret Armies (using the Rank 3 +2 loyalty bonus thing... 12 (3 food per farm 4 times a year) at the least because the loyalty bonus adds in quickly))

So that would just about make the SpyMasters interference worthless, and in a war game, it is the unseen threats that are the most fun.

With an army that vast, you could force your laborers to work (half heartedly no loyalty) for all of their lives and become a horrible tyrant, and with limits on the army by number of farms rather then amount the farms pump out, there would be no reason not implement "Chairman Mao" government system, and have nothing to fear from the Spymaster, simply because it would take the Spymaster completely crippling all of your vast farms instead of one.... it could also serve to keep your army sizes under control (if someone builds to the max and then does not have the food to pay.......)

Edit: Fixed math

Also looking at it this way... I suppose if you left it the way the book puts it you could severly limit the size of a secret army.... hmmmm being able to get a rank 12-20 secret army from one plot of land is pretty insane....

Remember, I'm the GM, not the player trying to twink it. The Spymaster still needs to have a fair shake at detecting it

So Army size limited by number of farms regardless of their rank is fine. I dont' need a rank 80 Army in one area locking it down and being invincible. That's godmode and no fun. Maybe the Imperial Army can be like that, huge expanses of 100 Provinces each with 5 Farms, a Mountain and a Forest and nothing but barracks as Holdings.

Hmm. Taxes. Now we need Taxes. 2 Resources a year per Province paid as a tax to the Empire...

Man, this never stops.
LiquidWeird

Re: Optional Rule - Larger Armies Opinions?

Postby wunderworks » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 am

LiquidWeird wrote:
roc wrote:Also Martial Law.... if your areas are setup properly (given enough time to do so) one set of farms could support 12-20 Secret Armies (using the Rank 3 +2 loyalty bonus thing... 12 (3 food per farm 4 times a year) at the least because the loyalty bonus adds in quickly))

So that would just about make the SpyMasters interference worthless, and in a war game, it is the unseen threats that are the most fun.

With an army that vast, you could force your laborers to work (half heartedly no loyalty) for all of their lives and become a horrible tyrant, and with limits on the army by number of farms rather then amount the farms pump out, there would be no reason not implement "Chairman Mao" government system, and have nothing to fear from the Spymaster, simply because it would take the Spymaster completely crippling all of your vast farms instead of one.... it could also serve to keep your army sizes under control (if someone builds to the max and then does not have the food to pay.......)

Edit: Fixed math

Also looking at it this way... I suppose if you left it the way the book puts it you could severly limit the size of a secret army.... hmmmm being able to get a rank 12-20 secret army from one plot of land is pretty insane....

Remember, I'm the GM, not the player trying to twink it. The Spymaster still needs to have a fair shake at detecting it

So Army size limited by number of farms regardless of their rank is fine. I dont' need a rank 80 Army in one area locking it down and being invincible. That's godmode and no fun. Maybe the Imperial Army can be like that, huge expanses of 100 Provinces each with 5 Farms, a Mountain and a Forest and nothing but barracks as Holdings.

Hmm. Taxes. Now we need Taxes. 2 Resources a year per Province paid as a tax to the Empire...

Man, this never stops.

You may not want to limit the army based on the farms so much, but make armies consume less when they are garrisoned vs. when they are on the move.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Suggestions and Feedback