bad form, but had to share

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

bad form, but had to share

Postby alexanderthesoso » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:28 pm

So, came up with a gag that would lose me SO much style, but had to share here. My characters name is S'Alee (saw ah lee) but its already being shortened to simply sah lee . I had a mental conversation about introducing myself as S'Alee steele, son of s'alee, son of s'alee, son of s'alee . Therefore, I am S'alee the fourth, though my family simply calls me.... S'alee forth. :lol:
alexanderthesoso

Re: bad form, but had to share

Postby [ak][aramis] » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm

My wife says, "Kill it! Kill it! That's so bad it needs to die."

Me, I just groaned and showed it to the wife...
Never grab a tiger by the tail.... unless it's sedated or dead!
[ak][aramis]

Postby Loqua » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 am

....You were doing so well too.
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Postby Bards-Tale » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 pm

alexanderthesoso wrote:So, came up with a gag that would lose me SO much style, but had to share here. My characters name is S'Alee (saw ah lee) but its already being shortened to simply sah lee . I had a mental conversation about introducing myself as S'Alee steele, son of s'alee, son of s'alee, son of s'alee . Therefore, I am S'alee the fourth, though my family simply calls me.... S'alee forth. :lol:

I don't know if it is truely bad form or just fun with puns but I think it is LoL funny :lol:
"Some men see things that are that ask 'why'. I see things that never were and ask 'why not'?"
Bards-Tale

Postby alexanderthesoso » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 am

With puns, its a matter of knowing your audience. For example, at last game, when John first announced the impending storm, i shoved a fist in my mouth to keep from shouting, "So, is that our distant early warning?" He MIGHT have giggled and allowed it, but then you never know. (Its a rush album title)
alexanderthesoso

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 am

My group turned the big mean ogre into the jolly green giant... so we appreciate puns...

But the timing needs to be right... Of course, we named him rokujin... Green-man 緑人 (pun of land-man and of 6-man, as well). I'm thinking he'll be of clan Ao あお (green).

Note that 緑 has three readings: ryoku, roku, and midori... and can used in names for any. And means (amonst other things) Green.
Last edited by [ak][aramis] on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ak][aramis]

Postby wunderworks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Bad Form is when the game's mood is broken because of something someone said. And I've given up plenty of style for doing so in my time. It's hard not to, but it's good to keep it in play so as to let the mood remain high and without interruption.

I've gotten into the habit of letting off some of the puns after then game ends so as to keep my pun engine strong and not burst from the pressure. ;)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm

A pun, no matter how relevant, is still bad form if it causes people to stop, groan, and make obnoxious and vociferous replies out of character... :lol:

Rokujin got me booed at. And something soft thrown my way.
[ak][aramis]

Postby alexanderthesoso » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 pm

wunderwurks, sounds like a situation tailormade for telepathy, so you could inflict a target with said thoughts. After all, it would be so appropriate to use psi to reduce PSI.

and thus every one has to sigh
alexanderthesoso

Postby alexanderthesoso » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 am

Additional bad form. WIth the search on for a suaven that is hidden somewhere, my character has a new quote (not really)

for he is truly his blooded's keeper and the finder of lost Suaven.
alexanderthesoso

Return to Out of Character