Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Hello,

I'm Fabien.

I discovered John Wick's work thanks to Legend of the Five Rings (I especially liked 'Way of the Scorpion') and when I saw he was demonstrating his latest game at Phoenix Con Games, I knew I had to sign up.

I fell in love with the Houses of the Blooded system then, pursued it online, downloaded the Preview and ran a very successful game with it. Since then, I've been modifying a thing or two to see if running Zelazny's Amber with the system is a viable option.

I haven't ordered the Houses of the Blooded book yet, but I'm looking forward to the day I hold it in my hands.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what other people's experiences with it have been.

Cheers!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

Postby isawachuck » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi, I'm Charlie.

I started following John's work ever since the L5R CCG and I'm still a HUGE fan. I used to run a L5R website (The L5R Archive) for a few years and I helped to promote his 7th Sea and Orkworld RPG. To this day, I still take part in 7th Sea and L5R sessions every 1-2 weeks.

Recently, I was able to take part in a Houses of the Blooded session that was run from the preview. Let's just say that when we took a mid-session break, I hopped on my laptop and ordered the book immediately. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Keep up the great work John!
isawachuck

Postby ElectricPaladin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm

My real name is Mark. I'm in San Francisco, California, and I cannot wait to get my hands on Houses of the Blooded. My favorite thing about roleplaying is getting to portray passionate people who do inadvisable things to further their passions and ambitions; so, of course, I'm excited about the culture and politics of the Ven. The system also sounds pretty nifty.

I also own Seventh Sea and Legend of the Five Rings, and I'm increasingly fond of John Wick's work, but my introduction to Wick was actually with Houses of the Blooded, which I first heard of on Sam Chup's podcast The Bear's Grove and then again on the Sons of Kryos.

I'll have more to say when I actually own the book.
ElectricPaladin

Postby blooded_jason » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Jason here, posting from Eugene, Oregon.

I first came across John's work when my friend introduced me to 7th Sea after severals years without gaming, when I'd essentially given up the hobby. We went into a 2-year campaign and never looked back. I played in a short-lived L5R game and then lost track of John's stuff until I discovered Play Dirty! on IPR, which led me to his website and eventually Houses of the Blooded.

No actual HotB play experience yet... I impatiently await the day that IPR starts sending it out. Though I own the book, I'll be a player and not a story guide.
Generation Speedkill (Nice day for a public suicide!)
blooded_jason

Postby serenityalways » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 pm

My name is Chris. Many know me as the High Lord Mhoram. Other names I don't care to repeat.

I met John for the first time at DarkCon 2 years ago. I have been following his games ever since. I play GURPS primarily, but I have John's systems to be a breath of fresh air in the what I consider unevolved Gaming community. Not that we, as gamers, are unevolved, but the games themselves seem to be. John is, as are others, taking that the next level. Would that be transgaming? Whatever.

I have run Cat and I have played Houses & Discordia. I watched with drunken delight as Jon managed a Necronominopoly game. And, in what is a crowning achievement, played Mafia D&D with John as the GM.

I own a signed copy of Play Dirty, which my players both love and hate.

During the day, I pretend to be a Business Analyst in the Security department at the world's largest retailer.

That's enough for now.

Serenity Always,

Chris
serenityalways

Postby SavageInOz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 am

My name is Daniel and I'm all the way down under in Australia. Preordered the LE edition of HotB and can't wait to get my hands on it although the pdf has been great. Have played a little L5R and 7th Sea but mostly bought Houses on the strength of the Design Seminer videos which really spoke to me about the sort of game I wanted to run.
SavageInOz

Postby Loki » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 am

Hey gents and gals. I'm Thomas and live on the frozen iceberg in the middle of the Atlantic ocean known as Iceland.

I became a fan of Wick's l5r work a few years back and nicked a copy of Play Dirty (much to Iceland's roleplaying community's dismay) and pre-ordered the limited edition the moment I heard that it was released.

I'm starting up a Houses game and ran into some difficulties but I'll be sure to sort through them before trying again.

It might be worth mentioning I'm studying philosophy at the university of Iceland with a keen interest in political philosophy (especially Machiavelli, Thomas Hobbes, Spinoza and other like-minded philosophers).
Last edited by Loki on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Since it is difficult to join them together, it is safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Loki

Postby gavken » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 am

My name is Gavin and I've been following John's work since 7th Sea. I am the proud owner of 2 copies of Orkworld and have bought the standard printing of HoTB - just waiting for the physical book to be sent out.

Gavin
Gavin

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 am

I am Richard Logue. I am John's webguy for the Houses site and admin for the forums here and the News Blog. If you see or read anything that should be brought to my attention, please do so! If you have any ideas that could make the Houses site a better site, please let me know. I have a few cosmetic changes in mind for these forums and the blog and such, so you may see them soon-ish.

As for me, I've been a pen-and-paper gamer since before my 12th birthday in 1980. I started, as likely most of us, with AD&D. Once I began discovering other RPGs, my "world" exploded. As for John's games, I latched onto 7th Sea as soon as it was avaialble and fell in love with the world and the system. It still remains as either my favorite or second favorite RPG. (It's in constant battle with Shane Henseley's Deadlands for the top spot.) Along with 7th Sea, L5R has become another favorite.

I'm excited to see folks posting in the forums. Houses of the Blooded promises to be a grand adventure!
"Someone smarter than me once said that heroes are cowards, just like everyone else, but their conscience gets in the way."

Jefferson Carter

Weekend Hero - my gaming sites, forums, and blog.
Richard
Site Admin

Postby JohnWick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

Hello. My name is John and I'm an orkaholic.

This is my first meeting.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Next

Return to Out of Character