Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

Postby StevilGenius » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:20 pm

I got the same feeling while reading this!
it does sound like a AA meeting.

Hi John,
when you die, do I get to eat your ork hands because that's what you use to talk with? jk.

John and I [Steve Swarner (Master Suana)] are on the same page about gaming. I first met John either late eighties or early nineties when he signed on with the Sea Dogs, the main inspiration for a good chunk of content in 7th Seas ;)

He's been fighting the good fight and gaming the good game since well before I met him. He has given himself to this craft of his and stayed true through feast and famine. Really: salad bar and famine, mostly famine.
I remember the writing days where we walked and talked our way to the post office to ship his latest writing but had to stop by the grocery store to recycle the 2 liter coke bottles he was living off of to get money for postage. But those days were worth it, huh John? Back when you were living with Kachiko. That was back before he or I worked for AEG. Yeah John really got me that job, that's how I got most of my jobs back then. A friend would say to the boss "He may not look like much, but he's got it where it counts". I remember John helping me with my resume' where instead of listing talents I listed an unending list of Games LOL.

I have had the pleasure of gaming with John GMing: Vampire, Call of Cthulhu, Amber, Space 1889... then Playtesting L5R (card and RPG) with him as well as all the in house projects of the time. I have also had the pleasure of beating him at every board game I could con him into playing (From Go to Robo Rally) :) altho he is deadly at Once Upon A Time the card game, go figure. After getting such a Storytelling GM experience I could never go back.

So I am a Gamer. That's how my mind works. Maybe not Ender or Flynn, but I see every game a chance to break it down and figure the puzzle that it is. John helped me stop playing to solve it, but to take a moment to live it out and let the story be all there is.

I believe RPGames need to play well with others. When playing Cops and Robbers (my vote for 1st RPG btw) don't shout out "Bang! Bang! Missed me! Bang! Bang!" take the opportunity to die and die well. Then the others will catch on and start playing well with others too.

Fight the good fight
Game the good Game
"Story over Dice!"

ty John.

edited a typo
Last edited by StevilGenius on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevilGenius

Postby scowilli5 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi all my name is Scott and I live in sunny Portland Oregon (well at least it is today). I heard about Houses while listening to the Sons of Kryos podcast. As John was talking about the game I knew I had to introduce this game to my friends. I can't wait to get my copy and pour over it. The PDF is great, but it just can't compete with the real thing. I'm interested in reading about other peoples games and see where they take things.

Well that's it for now,
Cheers
Blooded of the Tree frog
Action is eloquence.
William Shakespeare Should be a Ven quote
scowilli5

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:12 am

*everyone in unison* Welcome John.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby King Turnip » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 am

Despite the fact that these threads always seem to be dancing the twelve-step, it feels obligatory to post.

I'm Justin, post-human Homo Universalis, from Sacramento, CA. I have a wife who does not game and a daughter who is young. Because of the responsibilities in my life, I get very little time to game.

I am a philosopher and a writer, which looks deceptively similar to being unemployed.

I have strong opinions, and express them strongly. I do, however, recognize that reasonable, informed, and good people can come to the opposite position; "Reasonable people can reasonably disagree."
Resonable People Can Reasonably Disagree.
King Turnip

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 am

I am Ashkelion Yvarai. Three things true about me:

1. I live in Germany.
2. I sometimes go by the name of Marquis de Carabas or just Carabas.
3. I've already run "Houses of the Blooded" at two conventions I attended.
4. I'm running a weekly game of "Houses of the Blooded" on Friday nights.
5. I am getting to play "Houses" on August 30, 2008. A lot sooner than I ever got to play V:tM. :D
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Nimea » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, I am Nimea.

Some truths about me:
- I live in Germany.
- I always go by the name of Nimea - at least on the Net. It means Purified.
- I haven't run any HotB session yet.
- I take part in a weekly HotB game on Friday nights.
- I have to run a session on August 30th - much sooner than I am mentally prepared. But we grow with challenges.
- And I know the difference between three truths and five. ;) :lol:
Nimea

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Nimea wrote:
- And I know the difference between three truths and five.

I know I wasn't going to say anything... ;)
"Someone smarter than me once said that heroes are cowards, just like everyone else, but their conscience gets in the way."

Jefferson Carter

Weekend Hero - my gaming sites, forums, and blog.
Richard
Site Admin

Postby gavken » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 am

I think he has an aspect "Can't count" which is terribly useful in justifying why you've split the booty in an unfavourable way to the others :-)

Gavin
Gavin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 am

gavken wrote:I think he has an aspect "Can't count" which is terribly useful in justifying why you've split the booty in an unfavourable way to the others :-)
Gavin

Sanna sava? Are you serious? ;)
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby stone » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:17 pm

My name is Greg, and I too am a Game-aholic.

No relief in site - I just returned from Gencon where I spent all my time gaming instead of trying to roust up booty for the local convention I run. There was just no way to not play in the live action 7th Sea "Dance, Dance, Montaigne Revolution" and a myriad of other eye catching events. As is a VERY common theme so far among us, I too love 7th Sea - played, GM'd and enjoyed for years now.

But I will be talking my 7th Sea group into Houses of the Blooded over the next couple of weeks. I picked it up at Gencon from John and spent my entire return plane trip engrossed in the book. Obviously we are fans here, but I'll say it anyway - wow, what a book.

Anyway, I live way out in Montana (USA). I hike and fish during the summer (except gencon, of course) and play games in the winter, hibernating like any good bear should do. I spend my day job in a small cubicle with no windows, but that comes equipped with the Health Insurance, Steady Paycheck, and Retirement Plan aspects. The compells can be ugly, but at least I can invoke Steady Paycheck to go to Gencon and buy a bunch of gaming books.

I am also raising two young gamers with my wife. But I probably won't play HotB with them. At least, not the kids.

I am excited about implementing a HotB game right now after just reading the book. The wheels are turning. I am also very happy to start becoming a member of the community here and helping to support this fine work - so "Hi everybody!"

Greg
stone

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character