Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Introduce yourself - Everyone's doing it!

Postby wunderworks » Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 am

Welcome!

Check out some of the main forums for ideas on how to make running a one-shot LARP easier and fun. :)

What other Wick games do you enjoy?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Ariosto1516 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am

Mostly L5R and Seventh Sea. I'm a huge 7th Sea fan. In fact, I'm playing in both an L5R and 7th Sea game currently, and if things go well, running a HotBlooded campaign.
Im Anfang war die Tat - Goethe
Ariosto1516

Postby Tshanja » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:53 am

Hello everyone!

Just found HotB a month or so ago, and haven't been able to stop thinking about running it for my local group. I'll probably make a few posts soon with some questions, so thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Tshanja

Postby wunderworks » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

Tshanja wrote:Hello everyone!

Just found HotB a month or so ago, and haven't been able to stop thinking about running it for my local group. I'll probably make a few posts soon with some questions, so thanks in advance for any help you can give.

No problem, and welcome! Vote in the House poll if you haven't already, and what's the coolest thing about Houses of the Blooded to you? :D

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Tshanja » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:13 am

wunderworks wrote:No problem, and welcome! Vote in the House poll if you haven't already, and what's the coolest thing about Houses of the Blooded to you? :D

Well, the mechanics are neat - I love the idea of loose rules around a collaborate storytelling game. I really like the attitude towards RPGs and DMing, in general. There are several spots where the book describes how a situation tends to go down in most RPGs, and it really hit home, and the alternative that these rules provide DOES sound like more fun, and I think there is a lot that both DMs and players could take away and apply to other games if they wanted to. I recommended this book to everyone in my group before we had a chance to try out the game (see my thread in the actual play forum) because I thought a lot of the tips and advice in it would apply to our current game, and we'd all take something away. I was also secretly hoping they would read the rules and want to play them as much as I do. Luckily, we had a chance to play it in a one-shotter, and everyone enjoyed it, so we might have a chance to turn it into more than a one-shotter.

I'm a big fan of games that involve intrigue, politics, and the possibility of betrayal to keep everyone on their toes. I'm also a big fan of Game of Thrones (read the books, after being introduced by HBO). In our current D&D game, we've introduced some domain management rules that are similar to the Season Actions, and that's how I originally stumbled onto HotB. I was looking for rules that I might be able to incorporate into those - but it turned out that I liked HotB as a whole better, and now I'm looking at just running HotB for my group, rather than another D&D game where we try to have domain management in the background between levels. I was really excited when I read some early stuff about the Wilderness sourcebook, since it looked like that would let me easily bridge the gap between the two (for players who are more fond of dungeon-crawling than rulership) - but it looks like a lot of the planned expansion books have been pushed out a ways.

I'll probably be tossing some ideas around in the "Rules of your House" subforum soon that are along those lines, and I'd be interested in feedback, since I'm still new enough to the system that I might easily shoot myself in the foot.
Tshanja

Postby Colonel Rippe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 am

Hey, my name's Cyril, and I'm from the magical and fantastic land of Ottawa, Canada.

I, unfortunately, haven't been able to run a game of HotBlooded yet, since my current group is still working through their adoration of Dark Heresy's Critical Charts, but I'm looking into introducing some other friends of mine to roleplaying using the setting. So, since I practically fell in love with how Mr. Wick put together HotBlooded, what with the whole archaeological "we think this is how it is, but hey, there's differing opinions" angle, I stumbled upon the main site and the forum looking for any sort of fan-community.

So, hi!
Colonel Rippe

Postby wunderworks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome! As to your question:

/Very Seriously

The ven actually existed.

/removes tinfoil hat

Nah, just pullin' your leg.

/SeriousFaceisSerious

No, they really existed in a time before Atlantis.

*Nods Sagely.*

;)

If you could run HotB with your friends what sort of pseudo setting would you create? One with airships, pirates, and cities built on canals? Or dark jungle Suaven, massive stone temples, public blood sacrifices, and fashion of feathered capes? Or something else? :D

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Colonel Rippe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:02 pm

wunderworks wrote:Welcome! As to your question:

/Very Seriously

The ven actually existed.

/removes tinfoil hat

Nah, just pullin' your leg.

/SeriousFaceisSerious

No, they really existed in a time before Atlantis.

*Nods Sagely.*

;)

If you could run HotB with your friends what sort of pseudo setting would you create? One with airships, pirates, and cities built on canals? Or dark jungle Suaven, massive stone temples, public blood sacrifices, and fashion of feathered capes? Or something else? :D

If I'm starting some new people into it, I'd probably lean towards Arabian Nights/Oriental style images, with the 'ocean' being a more metaphorical ocean of sand. Bears descending tall, forbidding mountains in pursuit of the vengeful Falcon who killed their Ohlrex, while Foxes lay in perfumed lounges, unable to smell the sickly sweet poison painted onto their sweetmeats, and Elks approaching Solace look gravely over the bowed backs of a thousand thousand clay Veth. And the Wolves and Serpents? Well, they're probably scheming not too far away...

However, once I get a good group together, I'd be interested in modifying the rules to make an attempt at a mix of Film Noir and Urban Fantasy. Powerful families hiring witch doctors and occultists to help them better their standings, while unknown monstrosities stalk the streets at night. Probably have to modify up the holdings a bit, but I think it could work well.
Colonel Rippe

Postby wunderworks » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:57 pm

OMG Film Noire VEN IS BRILLIANT!

AND not to ignore your other idea, I very much like your Arabian Nights take. :)

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Mortimer_Phist » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello, I'm Aleksey. I live in Russia, in Ural region.

Houses of Blooded for me is a game that somehow joins almost all elements that I wanted to see in an RPG of my dream: roleplaying the nobles with cooperative narration, simlpe but fine and elaborate rules and the feeling of beauty and tragedy. I haven't yet played it for I have to translate and explain some important questions to my gamers. But I hope we'll begin soon.
Mortimer_Phist

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character