Masterpiece

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Masterpiece

Postby StevilGenius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 pm

I am hardly through a tenth of the book, and I am taking a small moment to praise before I dive right back in.

John, this is your Masterpiece.

excuse me while I get back to reading.
StevilGenius

Re: Masterpiece

Postby FCWesel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 am

At least until the next one... ;)
FCWesel

Postby StevilGenius » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:40 am

No offense to his other work, all of which I truly enjoy...

But this work puts all his skills together showing he is no longer a very accomplished Journeyman but a Master at his art.

With earlier works like L5R, he was dealing with mechanics and old school character evolution that he didn't truly embrace in his heart.
Houses of the Blooded mirrors his view for a RPG at every turn, and very nicely I might add. A view I whole heartedly agree with.

Oh I am sure he will do great work later... many expansions and add ons to this new Baby of his and continue making great and fantastically fun games.
I just think they won't be this moment, where he turned the corner and made EXACTLY what he wanted with all his heart in it, just when he brought all his skills he honed in the game designing trenches together in one Masterpiece.

I'm not saying it is all down hill from here or he's plateaued. No one claims to a master of his craft "Hey Leonardo! Isn't it all a bit redundant?!?" unless you're an ass and talking to DiCaprio. ;P

I love and worked with John on some of what I might refer to as his earlier Journeyman work. I am not belittling the Journey, John has always shown he has the skills in him. I just think this is the piece where he has shown his Mastery.
Every Hero must make his Journey. John knows me and my preference for Joseph Campbell that I treasure the Hero's Journey. So he knows I don't think less of his other games, but realize this is where he put it all together. Well Done John.

Now I will leave it for someone else to try to deflate him in hopes his ego might not burst. jk ;)
StevilGenius

Postby serenityalways » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 am

Well, he can't hold his liquor. That might deflate him a bit.

"He is the Wick. He does not drink. So we drink for him."

Or so it was said. :mrgreen:
"You see, it's like I've always said: 'You can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word.'"
- Marcus to Lennier: "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"
serenityalways

Return to Out of Character