Play by Post

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Play by Post

Postby Nevermet » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Hello.

On another website, some people and I are putting together a HotB PbP game. As much as I love HotB, I have little experience with PbP or PBEM. I have tons of experience with certain kinds of chat (I will be scarred by New Bremen for life), but that doesn't really apply. I have two questions.

First, I was curious how other people die-rolling in a Play-by-Post forum. One poster suggested something that seems like it could work, but I'm still curious in finding a few other ways. This is less me being dissatisfied with the suggested way of handling it, and more me just seeing what else is out there.

Second, I was thinking PbP is a really good format for a game that emphasizes seasons, with the posts taking the form of in-character letters that the PCs and NPCs write back and forth. While this idea sounds really nifty to me, I really have no idea what I'm talking about (how to do it, etc.). For this specific game and others, this is an idea I'd like to either develop more or see what other people are doing. (as an aside, I had an RPG years ago called de Profundis that dealt with RPing through letters. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in, like, 7 years so I am assuming it is lost forever.)
Nick the Nevermet.
Always interested in Houses of the Blooded PBEM or PbP games.
Nevermet

Re: Play by Post

Postby Snag » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Nevermet wrote:Hello.

On another website, some people and I are putting together a HotB PbP game. As much as I love HotB, I have little experience with PbP or PBEM. I have tons of experience with certain kinds of chat (I will be scarred by New Bremen for life), but that doesn't really apply. I have two questions.

...New Bremen? Good heavens, you were on WBS or IMC?

Nevermet wrote:First, I was curious how other people die-rolling in a Play-by-Post forum. One poster suggested something that seems like it could work, but I'm still curious in finding a few other ways. This is less me being dissatisfied with the suggested way of handling it, and more me just seeing what else is out there.

I believe if you shop around, you'll eventually come across a forum that has a dice roller built in. I vaguely recall coming across one, once upon a time.

Nevermet wrote:Second, I was thinking PbP is a really good format for a game that emphasizes seasons, with the posts taking the form of in-character letters that the PCs and NPCs write back and forth. While this idea sounds really nifty to me, I really have no idea what I'm talking about (how to do it, etc.). For this specific game and others, this is an idea I'd like to either develop more or see what other people are doing. (as an aside, I had an RPG years ago called de Profundis that dealt with RPing through letters. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in, like, 7 years so I am assuming it is lost forever.)

A friend of mine once participated in a D&D forum game. What they did, was do individual stuff throughout the week, with one day and timeframe set aside for as many players as possible to be on and be able to do stuff as a group, that way nobody's group enjoyment hinges on someone that had real life intrude.

On that note, may I also suggest using the Midnight Game or the Valet Game rules for folks whose characters get stuck in scenes, that way if they're still in limbo come group day, they can still play.

Midnight Game: HotB p. 382-383
Valet Game: http://www.housesoftheblooded.net/blog/?p=35
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Nevermet » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Snag wrote:...New Bremen? Good heavens, you were on WBS or IMC?

Once again, my hopes to look like I have a clue are dashed, as I'm not quite sure what you mean. :geek:
I was active on NB from fall of 2000 to january 2002. They used digichat. I played in the moderated boards, mainly in Changeling.

I now have images of Houses of the Blooded run as New Bremen. ....eep.

Snag wrote:I believe if you shop around, you'll eventually come across a forum that has a dice roller built in. I vaguely recall coming across one, once upon a time.

Snag wrote:A friend of mine once participated in a D&D forum game. What they did, was do individual stuff throughout the week, with one day and timeframe set aside for as many players as possible to be on and be able to do stuff as a group, that way nobody's group enjoyment hinges on someone that had real life intrude.

Snag wrote:On that note, may I also suggest using the Midnight Game or the Valet Game rules for folks whose characters get stuck in scenes, that way if they're still in limbo come group day, they can still play.

All these ideas make a lot of sense. Thanks!
Nick the Nevermet.
Nevermet

Postby Mishka » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:42 pm

For a dice roller, you can just use www.invisiblecastle.com

For everything else... That's for your imagination to solve ;)
Mishka

Postby Nevermet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:24 am

Mishka wrote:For a dice roller, you can just use http://www.invisiblecastle.com

For everything else... That's for your imagination to solve ;)

Thanks!
As for my imagination, well, we'll see. ;)

Also, as an aside, I learned a lot of important gaming lessons while I was on New Bremen:
    If your character doesn't match what other people in the game thinks is cool or useful, then he isn't.
    If your character isn't designed for the spotlight, don't be surprised if he never gets it.
    Self-destructive characters can be MUCH more fun to play, and as a paradoxical result, you may end up playing them longer than boring but 'safe' characters.
Nick the Nevermet.
Nevermet

Postby Mishka » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:10 am

Except that I've always ended up in the spotlight when I wanted it less for now :P

There are multiple styles of running PbP games (I am currently designing one, and I've ran two and played in about five more). Here're some of those I've played in:

www.shinomen.freeforums.org - Kyuden Shinomen
www.samuraimura.informe.com - Maigo no Samurai Mura
www.kyudenasako.fallenash.com - Winter Court: Kyuden Asako (I'm currently playing this one)
www.wcls.informe.com - Words Cut Like Steel
www.bowmancs.com/itow/index.php - In Time of War

Maybe some will give you neat ideas of how to organize/run a game ^^
Mishka

Postby Nevermet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:20 am

Again, cool and thank you.

With all the help, I'm gonna feel lousy if the game doesn't get off the ground.
Nick the Nevermet.
Nevermet

Return to Out of Character