Spiral Binding the HotB Book

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Spiral Binding the HotB Book

Postby FCWesel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:01 am

Hey gang, I love Mr. Wick's book, but over time I know I am just going to wreck that binding. I am looking at going to get it spiral bound so that it'll lie flat and be a bit easier to read and use. Has anyone else done this already? I am going to go to a couple places today and see about it. One trick will be to make sure that the book's text is not interrupted by the spiral.
FCWesel

Re: Spiral Binding the HotB Book

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:43 pm

I've done a print-out of the earlier preview version of the rulebook sent out around the end of June/beginnig of July. I had it spiral bound with a plastic spiral without any issues, except that the spiral is a bit too tight. Pages were reduced to DIN-A5 (about half letter-sized). So far, I am quite happy with the result and I've been using the book for almost two months now.

At no point does the spiral binding interfere with the text.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby miasma13 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Man, don't wreck the book. As you have the PDF do the print out,
bind it and wreck to the limit.

Value your books ;)
miasma13

Postby khelek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:18 am

miasma13 wrote:Man, don't wreck the book. As you have the PDF do the print out,
bind it and wreck to the limit.

Value your books ;)

What he said! I printed it and GBC bound it (not as nice as spiral) and it works fine. and the text is easy t read. I printed on 8.5x11 and was very concerned that the book was mostly white space. When I got the real thing and saw that it was a smaller type book I was very happy. It is nice looking. Definetly Banking Style in the Solis Cover! (and it never goes out of fashion).

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:43 am

I've actually been debating bringing the PDF into a local copy-shop and seeing how expensive it would be to get printed and spiral bound.... If I ever get off my lazy ass I'll post details and pictures.... but it might not ever happen.
Rob Justice

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 am

Well, if you get a rough guesstimate pricing, let us know how much that's going to run. I've been thinking about something similar for the games at my house, just so there's more copies of the book to go around during game.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby WilliamPall » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am

robjustice wrote:I've actually been debating bringing the PDF into a local copy-shop and seeing how expensive it would be to get printed and spiral bound.... If I ever get off my lazy ass I'll post details and pictures.... but it might not ever happen.

One thing I've contemplated about the printing of the PDF is to print four pages of the book per sheet of paper. I was somewhat worried about size of the lettering, but when I test printed the character sheet (which is four pages) it didn't come out too horribly small.
It definately would cut down on the number of pages printed, and since some copy center places charge per page printed . . .
WilliamPall

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:10 am

WilliamPall wrote:One thing I've contemplated about the printing of the PDF is to print four pages of the book per sheet of paper. I was somewhat worried about size of the lettering, but when I test printed the character sheet (which is four pages) it didn't come out too horribly small.
It definately would cut down on the number of pages printed, and since some copy center places charge per page printed . . .

Thats how my copy of InSpectres was printed and I figured I'd try the same with Houses. It worked great for that book... *shrugs*

I'll head out tonight after work and get prices... now that I feel obligated to. Hahaha
Rob Justice

Postby wunderworks » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:21 am

Someone should tell Wick and see if he can eventually have spiral bound ver. of the book for sale at IPR.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Alright, my local Kinkos said its going to be upwards of 10 cents a page for black and white printing plus $6 for spiral binding.
Rob Justice

Next

Return to Out of Character