All Call To The Unblooded.

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

All Call To The Unblooded.

Postby Loqua » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:46 am

John mentioned that several people were intrested in playing an unblooded and I was just wondering if anyone else out there was taking the plunge and wanted to gab about the ups and downs of playing the dirt people. I will start.

Ups!

I find the Unblooded to be very fun because of the challenge of playing one. My friends (and Ben :P) can tell you that I am a big voice kinda guy and now I am forced to play someone whose very survival depends on not speaking up. The Unblooded though are very good at just sitting at the edge of a scene and listening. I play with some very good people who don't even acknowledge my presense unless they need someone. This really plays into the servants having all sorts of inside info.

John has plans for the Unblooded. One of the many benefits to having the guy who wrote the game be your Narrator is you get glimpses into upcoming things. Peasant Magic is only the beginning. John already has given me some stuff for the "Talashan" aspect which are really cool. I won't get into them here because they aren't official yet, but you can be an Unblooded proper bastard in good ven style. John has also let onto darker, unspeakable things that the Unblooded do....

You can have more freedom as an Unblooded. The Ven are handicapped by their rules of decorum, which don't apply to us. I was speaking to an ork in front of 3 other ven and they didn't care. I think it might've been refered to as "dirt talking to mud." Use this to your advantage to have some fun game play. Poison someone's meal, your dirt, surely you don't possess the brain power to use poison! Watch the ven turn on each other, giggle on the inside.

Downs!

Biggest problem I am having is interacting with the game. Thus I am having problems generating style. Thus, I was the only one at the end of my last game with zero style. Some of this was expected, but even after that I still finding it to be rough. I can't intiate conversation and if I do, its generally to follow an order or get berated. Since most of my "style" comes from being behind the scene-ish, many players dont see what I am doing and thus no one is pointing at me and saying "Style that man!" I take some blame as well, as I should try my damnest to interact, but I am also trying not to get killed. Prepare to spend a lot of time being quiet. I also think this has to do with the group I game with, many of them will give style for something really funny/stupid/outlandish and not for maintaining good RP. Its called "failing upwards," and its not a bad thing, its just not the best evironment for what I am trying to do. I am trying to work out a way to get around these issues, but I haven't come up with anything I like. I am sort of abusing the "friendly game" we have to slide myself into situations, but its still nominal. The only thing I could think of is to go amongst the peasants, but then I have to pull a narrator away from the game to do that and thats just wankerish.

You are dirt. You get treated like dirt. You may have the best damn Unblooded char concept ever, but one word from a Blooded PC or NPC and its all over. Hopefully your Narrator will be kind (For a bit) and give you some passes, but don't expect it. It all can fall down at a moments notice.

Ryan's Do's and Don't For Unbloodeds! (These are all Ryan's opinions)

DO attach yourself to a PC. You get someone to speak up for you and they get a free NPC Vassal. It works for both people. I recommend scouting ahead and finding a PC that fits with what you want. My rugged mountain man wouldn't work with the Fox. I found me a Falcon, damnit!

DON'T try to play your Unblooded as some independent minded FIGHT THE MAN guy. You can get killed for no reason and it really detracts from the main part of the game. Namely, the Blooded. Fight the man should be done secretly, not out in the open.

DO get yourself a power. Peasant Magic, Talashan, or both. These powers give you a niche that non of the Blooded can do and may get you a stay of execution if you are damn useful.

DON'T overuse the powers. Its bad. Its wankerish. It gets you on "You get killed avenue." Remember, your powers are considered bad because they aren't from the Suaven. Blooded hate that.

DO still be a ven. Remember, no one expects anything from you and no one looks to you when shit goes south. If you are able to stir the pot a little, then good on you.

DON'T get caught. Ever. Never. Ever. Have some style ready as throw it down as an "Oh shit" button. It is VITALLY IMPORTANT LIKE SUPER IMPORTANT that your wagers and style go to covering your ass. Do your dirty, leave the evidence under someone elses bed.

So, thats my thoughts. Other unblooded have the same expieriences? Different ones? Let us head to the fire and talk while the Blooded party :)

EDIT: Wow, that was a big post. I didn't know I could write this much in one sitting!
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Re: All Call To The Unblooded.

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Ryan, that's some great advice! Thanks for that!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Loqua wrote:My friends (and Ben :P) can tell you that I am a big voice kinda guy and now I am forced to play someone whose very survival depends on not speaking up.

Dude, I am so right there with you.

Loqua wrote:Downs!

Biggest problem I am having is interacting with the game. Thus I am having problems generating style. Thus, I was the only one at the end of my last game with zero style. Some of this was expected, but even after that I still finding it to be rough. I can't intiate conversation and if I do, its generally to follow an order or get berated. Since most of my "style" comes from being behind the scene-ish, many players dont see what I am doing and thus no one is pointing at me and saying "Style that man!" I take some blame as well, as I should try my damnest to interact, but I am also trying not to get killed. Prepare to spend a lot of time being quiet. I also think this has to do with the group I game with, many of them will give style for something really funny/stupid/outlandish and not for maintaining good RP. Its called "failing upwards," and its not a bad thing, its just not the best evironment for what I am trying to do. I am trying to work out a way to get around these issues, but I haven't come up with anything I like. I am sort of abusing the "friendly game" we have to slide myself into situations, but its still nominal. The only thing I could think of is to go amongst the peasants, but then I have to pull a narrator away from the game to do that and thats just wankerish.

I will make it a personal OOC goal of improving my own game play to try and make sure you get style whenever you deserve it. I can think of at least two instances where you deserved style and I failed to point it out. I will try better next time we game.

Loqua wrote:Ryan's Do's and Don't For Unbloodeds! (These are all Ryan's opinions)

DO attach yourself to a PC. You get someone to speak up for you and they get a free NPC Vassal. It works for both people. I recommend scouting ahead and finding a PC that fits with what you want. My rugged mountain man wouldn't work with the Fox. I found me a Falcon, damnit!

DON'T try to play your Unblooded as some independent minded FIGHT THE MAN guy. You can get killed for no reason and it really detracts from the main part of the game. Namely, the Blooded. Fight the man should be done secretly, not out in the open.

DO get yourself a power. Peasant Magic, Talashan, or both. These powers give you a niche that non of the Blooded can do and may get you a stay of execution if you are damn useful.

DON'T overuse the powers. Its bad. Its wankerish. It gets you on "You get killed avenue." Remember, your powers are considered bad because they aren't from the Suaven. Blooded hate that.

DO still be a ven. Remember, no one expects anything from you and no one looks to you when shit goes south. If you are able to stir the pot a little, then good on you.

DON'T get caught. Ever. Never. Ever. Have some style ready as throw it down as an "Oh shit" button. It is VITALLY IMPORTANT LIKE SUPER IMPORTANT that your wagers and style go to covering your ass. Do your dirty, leave the evidence under someone elses bed.

So, thats my thoughts. Other unblooded have the same expieriences? Different ones? Let us head to the fire and talk while the Blooded party :)

EDIT: Wow, that was a big post. I didn't know I could write this much in one sitting!

You need to read the L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Corean Chronicles, specifically the last three books. The whole blooded vs. unblooded balance is played out perfectly in these books. Seriously awesome.

Also, I was thinking that the wall between blooded and unblooded is probably relaxed substantially by certain blooded when they are not amongst their peers, or if they are only in the presence of their closest 'friends'.

^_^
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Loqua » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks Ben, I appriciate it. I know that with the new rules and everything the LARP was pretty hectic. Don't divert from your fun just for me though, the point was not to complain just to inform.

I need something to read, so maybe I will check those out.

Yeah, maybe I need to sneak over to your non-existant little haven over there. Are you guys running a cabal in Living Shanri?
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Postby Snag » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:11 am

Don't y'all be breakin' my dishes. Them's the dishes I use when company comes over.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby wunderworks » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 am

Loqua wrote:Thanks Ben, I appriciate it. I know that with the new rules and everything the LARP was pretty hectic. Don't divert from your fun just for me though, the point was not to complain just to inform.

I need something to read, so maybe I will check those out.

Yeah, maybe I need to sneak over to your non-existant little haven over there. Are you guys running a cabal in Living Shanri?

NP, part of my gaming experience is to try and improve on my ability when I run/play. I like it better when I get better. As for our cabal I am hoping to put something together soon to run for the Westsiders. I have eight potential players but I need to ask them to firm it up - most likely will only get four definite yeses.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 am

I have this perverse desire to find someone who's as big a fan of Stephen Fry's and Hugh Laurie's (Yes, Dr. House) Jeeves and Wooster and run a tragic ven duo of those two. It would be AWESOME! Jeeves the Unblooded but immensely capable Gentleman's Gentleman, and Wooster the Blooded of the Fox with too much time and an unhealthy interest in Low Theater and Music of the Unblooded.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 am

wunderworks wrote:I have this perverse desire to find someone who's as big a fan of Stephen Fry's and Hugh Laurie's (Yes, Dr. House) Jeeves and Wooster and run a tragic ven duo of those two. It would be AWESOME! Jeeves the Unblooded but immensely capable Gentleman's Gentleman, and Wooster the Blooded of the Fox with too much time and an unhealthy interest in Low Theater and Music of the Unblooded.

My narrator NPC unblooded is patterened off of Alfred. :geek:
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby wunderworks » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am

Snag wrote:
wunderworks wrote:I have this perverse desire to find someone who's as big a fan of Stephen Fry's and Hugh Laurie's (Yes, Dr. House) Jeeves and Wooster and run a tragic ven duo of those two. It would be AWESOME! Jeeves the Unblooded but immensely capable Gentleman's Gentleman, and Wooster the Blooded of the Fox with too much time and an unhealthy interest in Low Theater and Music of the Unblooded.

My narrator NPC unblooded is patterened off of Alfred. :geek:

Oh, very nice, Sir.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Jeeves and Wooster

Drats, my mob all love it (except Artyom, but he is Russian and dosn't know how much he loves it yet... must show him...)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Next

Return to Out of Character