Definitely need rules for Converting Dark Heresy now!

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Definitely need rules for Converting Dark Heresy now!

Postby wunderworks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 am

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... =78&esem=1

HO BOY! Rogue Trader is coming out - how do we add a wager system to the Dark Heresy soon to be Rogue Trader System!?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Definitely need rules for Converting Dark Heresy now!

Postby jnborawski » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 am

Belsthar is in my Dark Heresy game, we were talking about it and though we haven't ironed out a rule set by any means however here is how I was thinking of suggesting we try it on our Sunday game...

For every detail you (the player) wants to add or change which would be applicable within the scope of the roll you may change the difficulty of that roll by increments of -10. As with any non-combat modifier in the system I would not allow this to be done beyond a maximum change in difficulty of -30, I.E. 3 details.

Of course in a game which has less of a focus on collaborative narration and more of a classical approach to defining the details or persons, places, things (being that they are for the most part pre-defined) any detail which is given which may interfere with the basic structure of the storyline may be over-ridden by the story teller, specifically so that the game does not run away with itself.

Furthermore, last Sunday we adopted two other rules which are presented in Mr. Wicks wonderful game, specifically whom ever introduces a person/place/thing gets to claim three things about it:

Say... a player high-jacks a Truck in the name of the God-Emperor, well they get to give three details about the truck... its a dirt-stained off white, its open topped, and it has a hateful clutch. (heck for that last one I might give them back a used fate point similar to a style point since a hateful clutch might come back to bite them in the butt)

And when ever a major thing such as a location or important NPC makes an apperance everyone (all players around the table) may take a turn adding a detail about that person/place/thing. An example:

On Sunday I introduced Interrogator Li, in my mind he was a rather flat generic stern inquisition type figure, after we had gone around the table he had acquired a long flowing white top knot, a blind eye with a scar down his face, a very slight frame and a peculiar out of sector accent. Sure I, as the Story Teller could have made those details up... but gosh it was fun to have everyone pitch in and to be honest it took a little pressure off of me while adding some flavor and getting the players involved.

A word of warning, when utilizing the suggestion above be careful that you do not Over do it! Use this collaborative narration for important things. In a game which is not completely driven by the collaborative narration we see Houses of the Blooded, and is instead more of a traditional role playing game, pausing for every object or character you come by to build a library of details slows the story down to much... so enthusiastic was I at this ideas possibilities I had to have a player remind me that "Hey we don't Really need to go around to define extra details for the hospital we're raiding, its a hospital, lets just move on!"

I think this is because of the fact that Houses of the Blooded is a game and a setting which is actively created as you go and with a game like Dark Heresy there is already a very rich pre-made setting and pre-laid story line the players are to follow, so stopping to much to create more material slows down the pre-made games progression as opposed to facilitating said progression as in Houses of the Blooded.
jnborawski

Postby wunderworks » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:45 am

All of your suggestions and ideas are excellent! I was considering something along the -10 to -30 per And statement idea. I'm happy you were able to give me first hand advice on how it actually worked in session as well. :) Thank You!

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby jnborawski » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:33 pm

wunderworks wrote:All of your suggestions and ideas are excellent! I was considering something along the -10 to -30 per And statement idea. I'm happy you were able to give me first hand advice on how it actually worked in session as well. :) Thank You!

You're quite welcome!

I was standing there with Belsthar in the mens bathroom with a friend of ours who had Way to much to Drink Way to Fast (he ended up becoming a Countess as opposed to just a Count at our HoTB Demo) who was nursing the toilet and in our idle conversation between force feeding this fellow water and cleaning away copious amounts of alcoholic stomach contents from our poor friend Belsthar mentioned that "There has gone to be a way to utilize these awesome mechanics from Houses of the Blooded in our Dark Heresy game! What if we were to bid fate points... or degree's of success?" and walla! I decided not to bid fate points because you get precious few of those as it is and you really need them for certain things... such as not having the Warp eat your psyker whole or to avoid untimely demises... But the degree's of success works out great! And of course thanks to Mr. Wick again for the inspiration and this awesome book, our gaming group is looking forward to playing Houses of the Blooded once we've finished reading it!
jnborawski

Postby wunderworks » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

jnborawski wrote:
wunderworks wrote:All of your suggestions and ideas are excellent! I was considering something along the -10 to -30 per And statement idea. I'm happy you were able to give me first hand advice on how it actually worked in session as well. :) Thank You!

You're quite welcome!

I was standing there with Belsthar in the mens bathroom with a friend of ours who had Way to much to Drink Way to Fast (he ended up becoming a Countess as opposed to just a Count at our HoTB Demo) who was nursing the toilet and in our idle conversation between force feeding this fellow water and cleaning away copious amounts of alcoholic stomach contents from our poor friend Belsthar mentioned that "There has gone to be a way to utilize these awesome mechanics from Houses of the Blooded in our Dark Heresy game! What if we were to bid fate points... or degree's of success?" and walla! I decided not to bid fate points because you get precious few of those as it is and you really need them for certain things... such as not having the Warp eat your psyker whole or to avoid untimely demises... But the degree's of success works out great! And of course thanks to Mr. Wick again for the inspiration and this awesome book, our gaming group is looking forward to playing Houses of the Blooded once we've finished reading it!

Why is it that we tend to come up with the most brilliant of ideas in bathrooms? Someone should study this phenomenon.*

* - Doot Doo, do, do, do. Doot do, do, do! Phenomena!

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Out of Character