How does one find a new gaming group anymore?

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

How does one find a new gaming group anymore?

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:04 pm

I find myself in an odd, but possibly typical, situation.

My local gaming group has broken up recently. It was small to begin with. I was the GM who ran anything and everything we played. I had three players, all of whom I met and were friends of mine from gaming groups and stores of old. They were all three decent players with individual strengths and weaknesses that made them decent players. We had fun at our gaming sessions.

Why did the group break up? It was a lengthy process of decay, I think. We really had no set game. We had a few games that we all enjoyed and played sort of "round robin" with to keep gaming from going stale. So there was never really any progress in one campaign or another. Mind you, as the group's GM, I would have preferred to pick a game and run a campign until the story ended and then start a new campaign with a different game. But my players wanted "round robin." And then they'd sometimes complain that their characters weren't advancing.

On top of that, our gaming schedule was becoming more and more wonky. We were gaming two Saturdays, then taking a Saturday off. Two Saturdays, then taking one off. It worked fairly well until one of the players decided he couldn't make that schedule. So we switched to a simple every other Saturday routine. That went okay until one of us got sick on the Saturday we were supposed to play and we called off the game. Then there was an unfortunate string of "not able to make it this week" for one reason or another from various people.

So one of the players decided our gaming wasn't stable enough and that he was going to quit. That left me with only two players. So I mentioned that we should put gaming on hiatus for awhile so we can find a new player or three to join the group and figure out what we were doing. At that point, one of the remaining two said, and I'm paraphrasing here (but not by much), "consider all my characters retired. I'm through with gaming." And I haven't even heard from the last player since.

So I'm left without a gaming group, and I'm not sure where to begin to find a new one or even join an existing one. How does one do it anymore? I have three local game stores in my area, but none of them really promote finding new groups or players.

It's a shame too. I'm really one of the more enthusiastic GMs you might find. I created a forums for my group. I like to make websites for the campaigns/games I run. I commission artists, when I can, to bring a visual element to my game. I love running games.

Any words of advice for me or new tricks for me to learn to find a new group?
"Someone smarter than me once said that heroes are cowards, just like everyone else, but their conscience gets in the way."

Jefferson Carter

Weekend Hero - my gaming sites, forums, and blog.
Richard
Site Admin

Re: How does one find a new gaming group anymore?

Postby JADettman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:47 pm

I'd start with http://www.nearbygamers.com and putting up a posting in your LGS. It took about a year but it worked for me. :D
JADettman

Postby serenityalways » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm

I get that feeling. I left Phoenix greater than 10 years ago. I have only recently had a gaming group again that I have enjoyed since I left Phoenix. And then suddenly there were 2.

I started by talking subtly with several folks that were not gaming that used to. They were all peopel I worked with, but that worked well. I talked about games of the past, getting them interested, seeing who was wanting to play. I then, over the course of several months, handpicked 3 people. 2 from work and my daughter. After about 3 months, we added a 4th -- one of the other players daughter. She is a bit young, but she is learning.

And suddenly, I am gaming consistently every other Sunday and every Wednesday. I have quit smoking, I have slowed drinking down alot and I have started caring about my life again.

Odd, what gaming does. I started gaming when I was 14 (back in 1980). I started with the Blue D&D book playing a wizard named Mhoram. Seems we started in the same year, so maybe we can use the same methods.

I don't know if this helped you, but it hope it does. Good Hunting.

"You see, it's like I've always said: 'You can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word.'"
- Marcus to Lennier: "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"
serenityalways

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trudging along looking for a group to join or put together.

And thanks, JA, for the heads up on that nearbygamers.com. I went there and registered and am looking at the other folks in my area.
"Someone smarter than me once said that heroes are cowards, just like everyone else, but their conscience gets in the way."

Jefferson Carter

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 pm

I had a very regular weekly friday game for years with 5-6 players. Then there was a falling out between two groups of players and for a while, fridays were just me (the GM) and two players so if anyone canceled gaming, we would end up not gaming at all and just hang out.

Recently I tried very actively to find more players for friday nights and I've had the most success with penandpapergames.com .

It's more active than nearbygamers.com , although I did find one player on nearbygamers.com that is very reliable.
Right now, I'm still kinda testing the waters and find out what the group dynamics are...

Finding a regular gaming group that is on the same page as you is a hard thing. Best of luck with it!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Skaldsaga » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:20 pm

I've had decent success with http://www.penandpapergames.com/
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:08 am

Three years ago I moved from Minneapolis, MN to Springfield, MO leaving my old group behind. The first weekend I was in Springfield I trucked out to every local gaming shop in town on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I would target any group with a GM screen, a Chessex mat out on the table, or an abnormal amount of books\dice on the table. I would boldy stride up to these people, thrust out my hand and proclaim, "MY NAME IS ROB! I AM NEW IN TOWN! I DEMAND A GAMING GROUP! WHERE MIGHT I FIND ONE!". Ok, so maybe those weren't the EXACT words, but you get the idea. I basically just started talking to everyone, asking what they were playing and how long they have been in town. Eventually I found a couple groups, then a couple of those players were douchebags so I trimmed them from the group, I introduced the good gamers to other good gamers and organically our group grew to its present state.

If you don't have access to a great gaming shop like I do (I'd plug my local shop but since they sponsor my show it might just seem like shilling despite the fact that they are a great shop that I'd plug even if they weren't sponsoring me) then I guess its time to hit the streets and other nerdy locations. Comic shops, general hobby stores, various mall stores. If you're rural its going to be harder and I have no advice for that.

All else fails, move to Springfield, MO. There is a massive gamer population here and I can even find a Houses game for you to get in on Friday nights :D
Rob Justice

Postby wunderworks » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:27 am

Our Site Admin has a Meat Body!? I thought he was a digitized Transhuman entity with fully-realized civil rights! Man, don't I feel silly.

Where're you located? If'n you're in teh land of the Valley of teh Rising Phoenix Sun valley peoples aka Maricopa County, AZ, I might knows a few people. I also know a guy in Alabama, Conn, SoCal, and Minnesota.

We'll find you a game to keep your meat body occupied. :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm actually a Transfat Meat Entitiy, thank you very much.

I live in the very nice, but seemingly under gamer-populated Tampa Bay area, in Florida. I've always wanted to live in the southwest really. I'm slowly convincing my wife that we need to move to Arizona, but she's having none of it until the kids turn 18 and have flown the coop. She likes it out yonder as well; she used to live in New Mexico. So I know she's game, if it just weren't for those pesky kids.... Ah well... what's another seven or eight years?

Yeah, I'm still looking around here in the mean time. I've got a couple leads, one of which I'll be addressing in a thread here soon. All is not lost yet.

Richard

Jefferson Carter

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Who knows, maybe the kids would like it out here too...!
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Next

Return to Out of Character