Musing about SPAM

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Musing about SPAM

Postby jeffszusz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 am

I never understood SPAM. Where's the payoff? Does anyone ever see a spam ad and go, "Hey! Cheap medication? Just what I was looking for!"

I'm baffled. Has anyone ever clicked on a spam link in email, on a forum, or anywhere and then proceeded to spend money there? Know anyone who has?

If you have, what kind of crazy are you? Share your story!
jeffszusz

Re: Musing about SPAM

Postby wunderworks » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am

jeffszusz wrote:I never understood SPAM. Where's the payoff? Does anyone ever see a spam ad and go, "Hey! Cheap medication? Just what I was looking for!"

I'm baffled. Has anyone ever clicked on a spam link in email, on a forum, or anywhere and then proceeded to spend money there? Know anyone who has?

If you have, what kind of crazy are you? Share your story!

It's not about the spam itself, that's just the tiny appendix on the end of the giant money making machine. Spam is the flier of the electronic world - they're paid per piece - so even if they throw all 10K fliers in the dumpster they've still made their money.

Spammers acquire stupid and gullible business owners who know jack shit about advertising and sign them up for cpa or cpi (cost per ad or cost per impression) systems where each time a person sees an ad they get paid. Thus they throw out the spam to as many people as possible and get a ton of money (and even a few responses) for very little work since most Spam is automated by bots these days.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Musing about SPAM

Postby jeffszusz » Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am

Ah okay, the spammers themselves don't actually expect to make money from ad responses. I didn't know they were scamming vendors, I thought they were underhanded vendors trying to bully and trick people into purchasing things.

Something new every day.
jeffszusz

Return to Out of Character