Ciphers

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Ciphers

Postby wunderworks » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am

Nihilistic Mind wrote:It was cool! But John had all the fun of deciphering it... More, please!

I'm already working on a cipher that a group of you will have to separately work on to solve. ^_^
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:54 am

Nice, thanks!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Azazel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 am

I have finally came up with a decent list of encryption algorithms that can be used in game without killing the feel of it! I'll give some brief details but you can google it in any case.
So here are some ideas:

• Caesar cipher: Simple monoalphabetic substitution, the alphabet is shifted X numbers
  • Monoalphabetic Substitution: Using only one alphabet and a key word, shifting letters according to the key word
  • Polyalphabetic substitution: Same as above but using more than one alphabet (a matrix of letters)
  • Grille method: Writing random letters around the plain text to conceal the message. Can only be read using a card with strategecally punched holes
  • Tattooing a message on slave's head and letting the hair grow back
  • Polybius chequerboard: Creating a X by X matrix and filling it with letters, thus any letter can be found by numbers (i.e. coordinate 1,1 will be A, so 11 = A
  • Hidden mesages within wax tablets: Writing messages on wood and the covering it with innocent looking wax
  • Secret inks: Lemon juice and milk are invisible unless heated

That's it folks!
Azazel

Postby wunderworks » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 pm

Azazel wrote:I have finally came up with a decent list of encryption algorithms that can be used in game without killing the feel of it! I'll give some brief details but you can google it in any case.
So here are some ideas:

• Caesar cipher: Simple monoalphabetic substitution, the alphabet is shifted X numbers
  • Monoalphabetic Substitution: Using only one alphabet and a key word, shifting letters according to the key word
  • Polyalphabetic substitution: Same as above but using more than one alphabet (a matrix of letters)
  • Grille method: Writing random letters around the plain text to conceal the message. Can only be read using a card with strategecally punched holes
  • Tattooing a message on slave's head and letting the hair grow back
  • Polybius chequerboard: Creating a X by X matrix and filling it with letters, thus any letter can be found by numbers (i.e. coordinate 1,1 will be A, so 11 = A
  • Hidden mesages within wax tablets: Writing messages on wood and the covering it with innocent looking wax
  • Secret inks: Lemon juice and milk are invisible unless heated

That's it folks!

Awesome! Thanks for the additional ideas. My first cipher was a Caesar cipher with the X shift in the bottom corner in regular ink and the code itself in Secret lemon juice ink. :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Out of Character