Anti-spam suggestions

What the title says.

Moderator: Snag

Anti-spam suggestions

Postby drnuncheon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 am

Seems like the last few times I've visited all the new posts were spam.

Another board I frequent (which also uses phpBB) restricts new posters to reading and posting to a single "Account Confirmations" forum which restricts them from spreading their vileness too far. Once someone has proven they are a real person they get unlocked and can see and participate in the rest of the site.

Obviously that solution might not be completely ideal as you want the forum to be accessible to anyone, but you could consider restricting posting privileges for new accounts in some way.
drnuncheon

Re: Anti-spam suggestions

Postby wunderworks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

drnuncheon wrote:Seems like the last few times I've visited all the new posts were spam.

Another board I frequent (which also uses phpBB) restricts new posters to reading and posting to a single "Account Confirmations" forum which restricts them from spreading their vileness too far. Once someone has proven they are a real person they get unlocked and can see and participate in the rest of the site.

Obviously that solution might not be completely ideal as you want the forum to be accessible to anyone, but you could consider restricting posting privileges for new accounts in some way.

Usually, I am on top of the spam, but this last few weeks I've been slammed with a musical I am in and have let my duties here slide a bit.

If we set the bar too high for people to join it tends to kill our user base growth even for legit users. I'd love for there to be an automated way to confirm that people are not spammers, and we've pretty much killed all the Spambots. It's the actual live spammers who can get through, and in the past we had restricted people to the Welcome message and we had a few spammers say hello and act cool then spam like crazy once given access. So that doesn't really work well.

The best I can do for this board (as in the software) is what I'm doing now, and if I could confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the IPs they're coming in from are their IPs I'd drop the Low Orbital Ion Cannon on every one of them. But that wouldn't be nice to do if it's some poor idiot ISP in the Ukraine, Russia, or China (where they all seem to be coming from) who doesn't know how to make his/her ship watertight.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Forum Rules and Guidelines