Living Campaign

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Living Campaign

Postby JLHBurnett » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 am

Combine the "Living Shanri" idea with John's promise of a HotB LARP book, and I'm all sorts of giddy!

In my perfect world, all my friends who still walk around in their black trench coats and talk about the Treaty of Thorns and the Anarch Revolt will soon be walking around in crimson capes and talk about the Betrayer War and The Anguish.
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:18 am

John, we're going to need drop cloths up in here. The drool is starting to puddle up!

::Fetches a mop::
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Alexai Adrente » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 am

devilaether wrote:I disagree. I think the game is rather perfectly designed (mechanically speaking) for a Living Campaign. Granted, having bad players WOULD ruin it.

But, to quote the author... "Why are you playing with bad ones?"

Letting the RPGA anywhere near HotB would be a killing offense. True Pain, one might say.

I know the Ven embrace the concept of dichotomy, but your statements are in fact mutually conflicting.
Also, it's partly my fault, for when I used the term RPGA, what I really meant was "People who tend to participate in Living-format campaigns". I'm old school, when the RPGA was the only game in town.
As you said, having bad players would Ruin it. One of the missions of the Living campaign is to be as inclusive as possible of players. And as to "Why are you playing with bad ones?", the response is that "I have no choice, I have to play with whomever I'm marshalled with at a Con."

Though I eagerly await any announcement from The Wick on the subject, and will hold my judgement till then.
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
Alexai Adrente

Postby devilaether » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

For one, I don't think anyone is going to be forcing us to conform to the conventions of other Living Campaigns. We can be as haughty and exclusive as we like. :)

Secondly, consider how lethal HotB is. I suspect that bad players will be weeded out rather effectively through Revenge. 'Bad form' is likely to result in an ever expanding target on ones back.
devilaether

Postby Skaldsaga » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I’m delighted and terrified at the prospects of this. :o
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby adidasfiend » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:57 pm

=D
So much potential. rambling will commence...
WOW. Each season could be recorded at a central site,
the logistics could officially suck. Depending on the amount of players/groups thats alot of record keeping. Will there be an equivilent to TU's like the LG rpga?
then a culmination grand event at the end of each year. because winter sucks. the book even says so. hey wait, wickedcon is in the winter. A great culmination at john's bday con would be perfect. Like a Ven Senate, or a Great Winter Court. It could be a mix of LARP and tabletop.

For those don't have the luxury of living in the valley of the hot, they could coordinate and try to get an winter con....GenCon could be a Summer season story, bucking the trend that GenCon is the main event. The Main Event would be the Winter event...

brain overload...
i get this mental image of john ringing his hands cackling "ITS ALIVE!!"
adidasfiend

Postby wunderworks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:38 pm

adidasfiend wrote:=D
So much potential. rambling will commence...
WOW. Each season could be recorded at a central site,
the logistics could officially suck. Depending on the amount of players/groups thats alot of record keeping. Will there be an equivilent to TU's like the LG rpga?
then a culmination grand event at the end of each year. because winter sucks. the book even says so. hey wait, wickedcon is in the winter. A great culmination at john's bday con would be perfect. Like a Ven Senate, or a Great Winter Court. It could be a mix of LARP and tabletop.

For those don't have the luxury of living in the valley of the hot, they could coordinate and try to get an winter con....GenCon could be a Summer season story, bucking the trend that GenCon is the main event. The Main Event would be the Winter event...

brain overload...
i get this mental image of john ringing his hands cackling "ITS ALIVE!!"

Well you could have a standardized form linked to a server hosting a central website. The form could contain a place for the ST to enter his groups ID# and then all the specific mechanics that occurred during each season. This way there is a centralized and simple system in one location (with a back-up) that keeps track of everyone's development. It'd be the first MMORPG - Massively-Multiplayer-Offline-Role-Playing-Game. :lol:

The game can run in Real Time with groups meeting twice a month so that the average group meets nine times a season.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby JLHBurnett » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:48 pm

adidasfiend wrote: then a culmination grand event at the end of each year. because winter sucks. the book even says so. hey wait, wickedcon is in the winter. A great culmination at john's bday con would be perfect. Like a Ven Senate, or a Great Winter Court. It could be a mix of LARP and tabletop.

The concept of a great big live-action Ven masquerade at Gencon or Origins fills me with glee.

Heck, I might try and cobble together some like that for Halloween. Oh, if only I had more time!
Never enough time to finish all your plans. How very Ven.
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Previous

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion