The Aspect Thread

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Re: The Aspect Thread

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:35 am

jonathan_sicari wrote:"I wield an Orkish blade"

Invoke: When wielding a blade forged by Ork.
Tag: The unwieldy Ork weapons leave their wielder vulnerable to a swift stab by their opponent(s).
Compel: Distrusts ven and veth bladecrafting and can be forced to give up a good ven blade for Ork.

Sounds good - Bonus for using an ork weapon, tagged by anyone who recognises the flaws of the ork weapon and can be compelled to give up a Ven blade in favor of a [cursed, artifact, poisoned, dishonorable, humiliating, Insulting to Ven Culture] blade. Nice.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Black King » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 am

wastevens wrote:The 'tag and invoke in the same circumstances' thing is basically how all the Senvu aspects work. You Invoke them when swordfighting, but someone who knows your fighting style can Tag you.

I only see one, in the section of Aspects where he makes the D&D classes into Aspects. Still don't agree with that, unless or some reason being able to see through the style prevents the invoke in which case it sounds great. I think that's probably how I'd run it. Other than that one it seems the way the example aspects are designed and it doesn't seem that's the intentions behind the Aspect mechanics. I don't think it's a horrible way to do it, only that a better one could be chosen. Perhaps you can assume that the Aspect would be balanced out by the in story ramifications of the aspect.
Black King

Postby jonathan_sicari » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 am

So still working on making a 'warlord' style character and thinking of a strategist aspect. I'm thinking something like:

Read the Land (Master of Murder?):
Invoke: 3 dice while leading an army (involved in Mass Murder?).
Tag: I'm thinking something like when Miles Vorkosigan in A Civil Campaign is asked "At least I don't regard my relationships as an act of war, is she the enemy then?" by his brother Mark (paraphrased from memory).
Compel: ? No idea here, something that causes him to attempt to attack a province in season actions?
jonathan_sicari

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 am

How about:

General Born
I: When personally leading an army in battle
T: When discussing matters of a personal/emotional nature
C: To seek redress upon the battlefield

?
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby jonathan_sicari » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Keith Fyans wrote:How about:

General Born
I: When personally leading an army in battle
T: When discussing matters of a personal/emotional nature
C: To seek redress upon the battlefield

?

Got interrupted when I was going to respond to this. Yes, that looks perfect.
jonathan_sicari

Postby basil montebanks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 pm

I have an Aspect that I thought of for a 7th Sea character that I wanted to re-create for HotB.

The Hat Makes the Man

Invoke: Add three dice when using a hat in social interactions.

Tag: Gain two dice for social interations when the Ven is without a hat. He feels vulnerable without it.

Compel: The Ven must retrieve his hat when lost such as the wind blowing it off or must preen it so that it will look its must splendid.
basil montebanks

Postby Judd_of_Kryos » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 am

Spy from beyond the veil

The veiled houses conspire and you are their agent, placed into a position of power. Will you seek to unveil them through the senate or is a bloody revolution necessary?

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you are either being patient or brutal.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice if they are of the elk, as their House is half veiled.
Compel: Feels compelled to seek out the buried histories that lead a veil going over four Great Houses.

Back from the dulla

You shamed yourself, your house, your family, your sword, your blood and for a year and a day the Senate dressed you in black with a gold mask. For a full year and a day you guarded your worst enemy with your spear as best you could. Now you are back, sword in hand.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when fighting in a situation where you have a longer reach over your opponent.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice in a social situation when they remind you of the folly that led to your shame.
Compel: Feels compelled to talk to those wearing black as if they were people, as if they were present, as if they were not shamed, thus shaming everyone involved.

I've had the above aspect in my head for a while. The following aspects came to me tonight when I thought that many barons would have risen up from vassal positions into power.

...and I couldn't sleep.

Former Master of the Road

You traveled your lord's domain, quelling trouble and hunting ork before claiming your barony.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you are trying to survive without a roof over your head, out in the harsh glare of Shanri.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice in any situation that occurs in your home; you just aren't used to being in one place for so long, dammit.
Compel: Feels compelled to solve any given problem by traveling to the heart of the danger and facing it yourself.

Former Spymaster

No one knows that you used to be the duke's spymaster. That is because you were so fucking good at your job.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when creating mischief in another noble's domain without their knowledge that you are there.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice in any situation where you are directly confronted, bluntly and directly.
Compel: Feels compelled to see your neighbor's lands for yourself. Spymasters cannot be trusted...you'd know.

Former Maid/Valet

You served a great lord/lady scrubbed their feet, stitched them into their clothes and brought them their drink. And while you served you soaked up their courtly knowledge.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice in knowing the inner workings of a ven household from talking with or observing the servants.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice in any situation where they hold rank over you.
Compel: Feels compelled to defend a mistreated servant.

Former General

You led your lord's secret armies...not that your lord ever had any such thing.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when leading ven into Mass Murder.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when engaging you in a civilized duel; you are used to the mad as ork heat of battle, mud and death.
Compel: Feels compelled to spit on peace; you are a hammer and you see the world as a series of nails.

Former Personal Guard

You kept a ven safe with your own blood.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when keeping someone save with your body.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when attacking you and you are alone.
Compel: Feels compelled to protect someone. This person can be defined at the beginning of each season.

Former Mayor

You held a city in your hands and kept it safe.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when trying to find someone valuable in a city.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when you are stuck in the wilderness.
Compel: Feels compelled to do justice in any city, making it a better place.

Former Swordsmaster

Once you had your own Swordsman Academy with a shrine to old one-eye and eager students in your hall but now you have an entire domain. Can your sword solve every problem?

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when either teaching the sword or making art (be it a speech or an opera) about how good you are with the blade.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they attack you and neither of you has a sword.
Compel: Feels compelled to draw the blade when doing so will bring you glory.

Former Court Scholar

You discovered rituals for your lord and investigated sorcery because, y'know, sorcery is illegal and wrong.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when researching sorcery.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they are under the effects of sorcery that is unfamiliar to you.
Compel: Feels compelled to investigate sorcery.

Merchant Blooded

Your family rose up, made money, married well and here you are, the first to be blooded, to carry a sword and put on any color that you wish.

Invoke: You gain 3 dice when haggling.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they are in a place of high society (party, opera, you know) and they can remind you where you came from and even infer that you aren't truly blooded. Yeah, they are threatened by you. You are the herald of the end of this age and they know it; they can smell it.
Compel: Feels compelled to be more ven than ven to follow a law, a custom or a ven way beyond the limits any other ven without so very much to prove would take it.
Dictionary of Mu

"Trust me when I say this. Your game shelf is barren without this game. Lacking. Empty. But take care: this book will beat the holy hell out of your other books if you leave it alone too long." - John Wick
Judd_of_Kryos

Postby Judd_of_Kryos » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 pm

The ven wear different colors to communicate their moods and pursuits to others in the Houses but for some a color's mood is more than just a cloak or a hem. For some a color outlines everything they wear, it is a part of their name, a part of their very being and will continue to be until they see a dragon and that color is erased from their soul.

Grey
Tears are not enough.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice you are creating something that will allow ven to remember your lost loved one.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they play upon your loss for their own gain.
Compel: Feels compelled to finish anything left undone by the deceased.

Green
Spring is in my veins.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice in a social situation when you admit that you have done something wrong.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice reminding you of what you have done wrong in the past year.
Compel: Feels compelled to seek forgiveness.

Lavender
Entertain me.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you draw someone to you to entertain you.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they are being amusing in a social situation.
Compel: Feels compelled to seek out mirth no matter where it might be or who it might be with.

Blue
I want to know.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you are seeking knowledge directly from someone smarter than you are (books and scrolls don't count...but spectres and ork totally count).
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they debate you with cold, hard facts.
Compel: Feels compelled to seek out those wiser than you.

Brown
I am not playing the game.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice in a social situation when you are cutting through bullshit to get done what needs doing.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they mention that you are acting like a peasant.
Compel: Feels compelled to finish the task at hand.

White
I am ready.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you attempt to finish up the loose ends of your life.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they are young, dumb and full of disrespect. Kids these days!
Compel: Feels compelled to dispense wisdom, whether its wanted or not.

Gold
I rule.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you are acting as the highest ranking noble in the room, even when you aren't, especially when you aren't.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they acknowledge that you are their better.
Compel: Feels compelled to give orders.

Silver
I govern.
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you are dispensing justice in your domain or on behalf of the Senate.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they quote Senate Law.
Compel: Feels compelled to go by the letter of the law.

Yellow
Help me.
(Yellow Note: There's very little worse in a game than someone playing an insane person poorly. Its insulting. Every other player has to give their okay for this aspect. Don't use the Yellow to act goofy. Bad form.)
Invoke: You gain 3 dice when you seek help from another to cure the madness that infects your brain.
Tag: Your opponent may gain 2 dice when they play upon your madness in a social situation.
Compel: Feels compelled to do things that show the thin veneer that holds ven society together in ways that will make everyone very uncomfortable.
Dictionary of Mu

"Trust me when I say this. Your game shelf is barren without this game. Lacking. Empty. But take care: this book will beat the holy hell out of your other books if you leave it alone too long." - John Wick
Judd_of_Kryos

Postby Misery Rex » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Two from Renna Yvarai

It Always Ends in Flames...
Invoke - Manipulate Social Mayhem
Tag - Burnt by Own Mayhem
Compel - Cause a Social Disaster

Jewel Of the Yvarai
Invoke - Getting Noticed
Tag - Being Noticed
Compel - Get Noticed!