The Aspect Thread

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

The Aspect Thread

Postby Memona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:13 pm

I've been wanting a thread where people can post their Aspects. There are others in this forum, but they are scattered and separated by page counts. One of the problems I have with the game is attempting to get new players into the feel of Aspects. A thread full of Aspect and advice would be great.

----

So instead of talking in abstracts, I'll start with my own. Here are some aspects that I've been working on for my game.

Antipodes
Invoke: This aspect can be invoked when you use weapon that of unlike your opponents. For example, if an enemy uses a weapon, you can use your fists or a tool.
Tag: This aspect can be tagged when he uses the same type of weapon. For example, if he is using his fists to defend himself, the enemy could also use his fists.
Compel: The character thinks in unusual ways, always trying to exploit others weaknesses. Use this compel to have him slip with that bit of information.

A Serpent in my campaign has this Aspect. His name means "the Hand and the Sword".

"I'm Really Left-Handed"
Invoke: This aspect can be used if you fight left-handed.
Tag: This aspect can be tagged if you use your own left hand or if the character is forced to use a two-handed weapon.
Compel: The character is a show off. He will attempt to use right-hand as much as possible, finding the opponent just not worthy of his skills.

The Princess Bride anyone?

Resourceful Sneak
Invoke: This aspect is used for stealth risks.
Tag: The character can be tagged to spot him if he is trapped in a barren room, or extremely well-lit. This also includes empty hallways. He cannot use his resourcefulness to get out of this one.
Compel: The character feels he can get himself out of just about any type of situation. He will go into dangerous situation even those he shouldn't.

The characters in this campaign will learn very quickly to bottleneck certain rooms with lighting and debris-free rooms or they will suffer.

Poisoned Teddy Bear
Invoke: The character can invoke this aspect when attempting to start a Romance or convince people to start a Romance.
Tag: The character also suffers from hurting her lover. The character can receive two dice to convince the Poison Teddy Bear to hurt or harm her lover.
Compel: Start a Romance or consider starting a new one.

My version of Lady No.

Closet Homosexual
Invoke: The character can invoke this Aspect to hide his homosexual nature.
Tag: If the character knows of his homosexual nature, the character can use it as leverage. He can be tagged in risks involving contracts and deals.
Compel: Because of his bottled sexual tension, the character is more interested in pleasing men than women. Compelling this aspect when he will take a man's side on a issue, even if would benefit him more to side with a woman.

Darrin Steele in my campaign has this Aspect. It's odd what some players will do with Style Points.

"I Fights Better When I'm Drunk"
Invoke: The character fights better when drunk. He receives three bonus dice when he is drunk and is fighting.
Tag: Fighting better when drunk is also dangerous. When he is drunk and someone notices his patterns, he can receive two bonus dice.
Compel: The character will aimless and crazy acts.

This one is pretty simple. But it works best with one below.

Alcoholic
Invoke: The character receives three bonus dice for resisting narcotics or other addictions. His one truth love in life is the drink.
Tag: The character is loud and boorish. When drinking, which is almost always, he can be tagged with risk that are required to be proper and upstanding.
Compel: The character must find a good drink, even if it does involve drinking that possibly poisoned goblet...

Here is one of my attempts at making a Disadvantage an Aspect.

"Kidney, Liver, Stomach, Heart."
Invoke: The character can invoke this aspect if he is attempting to hit a specific location on a ven. His understanding of the ven anatomy is surprising.
Tag: The character's understanding of the ven body makes his slightly cold and aloof. Ven are no longer people but simple wet sacks with soft objects inside. Another character receives two bonus dice against the ven who uses this aspect with risk involving the character to change his mind in helping another.
Compel: The character is amused by the way he kills an enemy. He must spend at least a few seconds looking at the downed fool.

I've always been fond of the Butcher from Gangs of New York. One of my player's spy master has this one and it works perfect.

Irresponsible
Invoke: The character understands how to party, at least. This Aspect can be invoked when attempting to make narcotics or convincing people at a party.
Tag: The character doesn't really care if the world falls apart around him. As long as he's having fun. This can be tagged with any type of business attitude is required. In other words, he can be made a fool with trade agreements.
Compel: The character will do something completely, well, irresponsible.

Another disadvantage as an Aspect. When I look at this aspect, I know just how harsh the penalty will be.

"Don't Break the Dishes"
Invoke: The character's wrath comes full force when someone breaks one of his families well prized possessions. This tag can be invoked against such offenders.
Tag: The character is very protective of his prized possessions. When holding a piece of his possessions hostage, the character can be tagged.
Compel: Roam the halls of his castle in search of offenders.

A person who violates the traditions of the household? What type of person would do this? This Aspect is useless because of it.

Club Foot Darling
Invoke: The character has a club foot. This places her at a weakness, but also give others her sympathy. When attempting to gain mercy or sympathy from other people, you may invoke this aspect.
Tag: The character is not very proficient with certain physical skills. The darling can be tagged when it depends on footwork.
Compel: The character will hobble slowly, even when time of the essence.

Lady S is a very different type of woman in my campaign. A master of a bow and a club footed darling.

Overweight Spy Master
Invoke: The character is large, but he is also very good at his job. When attempting a risk involving the security, the Spy Master receives three extra dice.
Tag: When bribed with food, the Overweight Spy Master will be likely to listen.
Compel: The character will attempt to get a bite to eat, sneaking into the kitchen when he should be spying on the lady.

A fat spy master? Why not?

-----
How about this? Let's see how everyone does colors as Aspects.
Last edited by Memona on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memona

Re: The Aspect Thread

Postby Memona » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:48 am

Colors Aspects

I've been debating on making a system that works with colors. Here we have what the color does. I'm thinking about allowing my players to make Goods that instead of banking style can make a certain color. The colors should fade over time, as Good-crafted aspects is a powerful advantage. I system involving the 'potential' of the color might worth looking into, but that would better served in the House house rules.

Also, if you use it on a rose to give to another character, you may invoke the aspect for an entire story. This is covered under the rules for "adding an aspect to a scene".

Black
Invoke: The color black is the color of being veiled. You can trigger this Aspect when you are attempting to not be noticed.
Tag: The color black is also the color of shame. If someone acts out of place, this can be tagged to stimulate the shame further.
Compel: The character returns to the background, forcing him to get out of direct social action.

Red
Invoke: The color of red is the color of passion. When you are attempting to start a Romance or declare Revenge, you can invoke this Aspect. If you are in a Romance or Revenge, you may invoke this aspect to force someone who is interfering with your Romance or Revenge to get out of your way.
Tag: The color of red is also the color of irrationality. If someone is convincing someone of attempting to do something that is dangerous.
Compel: The character can be compelled to start a Romance or Revenge with another character.

Grey
Invoke: Grey is the color of murder and suicide. When attempting to confront the direct cause of death of the character who you are mourning, you can invoke this Aspect.
Tag: Grey is the color of death, where there is no return. When attempting to confront the cause of the death of the character who you are mourning, another can invoke this Aspect.
Compel: The color of Grey can cause someone to act over dramatic when confronting the cause of the character's death.

Yellow
Invoke: Yellow is the color of madness, illness and Cthulthu. You can invoke this color to surprise someone with your vile antics.
Tag: Yellow is just plain disgusting. This color can be tagged for ALL social rolls.
Compel: Someone else attempts to kill you. In fact, everyone might attempt to kill you. Just stop wearing yellow.

Green
Invoke: Green is the color of youth. When attempting show off your Strength, sincerity or vigor, you can invoke this Aspect.
Tag: Green is also very naive. This color can be tagged when naivety comes into place.
Compel: Green is also the color of generosity. You can invoke this aspect to force someone to give meaningful something away.

Blue
Invoke: The color of knowledge. This color can be invoked when giving other people knowledge.
Tag: The color of Blue can also be overwhelming, and people who are attempting to overwhelm you can try. This color can be tagged when you someone is trying to overwhelm you with stimuli.
Compel: You approach someone or someone approaches you seeking knowledge.

Lavender
Invoke: The color of parties! When attempting to entertaining others or trying to find entertainment, you can invoke this color.
Tag: The color of lavender is also very whimsy. When attempting to force someone to do something fun instead of worrying about duty, the person can tag this color.
Compel:

White
Invoke: The color of Solace. Those who wear white can also be empowered by a certain Suaven who has passed into Solace. You can invoke this aspect when dealing with that particular Suaven's domain. For example, the Suaven of Bridges allows the person to invoke anything involving bridges.
Tag: Enemies of the Suaven know your mannerisms. They may tag this aspect when trying to work against or knowing the Suaven's mannerisms. For example, the Suaven of Bridges is at a disadvantage when fighting on land and the enemy knows it.
Compel: You prepare of Solace, giving thanks to the Suaven at an inappropriate time.

Brown
Invoke: This color of labor. The character may invoke this color when he is attempted to be forced into the game but does not want to be involved.
Tag: When you are actually in the game, you are at a disadvantage. This can be tagged when attempting to deal with ven politics.
Compel: Ignore the luxuries of others, instead focus on business at hand.

Gold
Invoke: Invoke this color when trying to find reason in a situation.
Tag: Gold is also soft and easy to shape. Someone may tag this aspect when trying to show you a different way of thinking.
Compel: Gold is soft, but can be slow. You must reason in a situation when action should be taken.

Silver
Invoke: Silver is the color of emotions. When you are attempting to reconcile or brew emotions in others, you may invoke this color.
Tag: Emotions are also double edged. When someone is attempting to reconcile or brew emotions inside of this character, they may tag the silver.
Compel: Silver is harder to change. When you've set an emotion in your mind and you want to change it, someone may compel this aspect to keep that emotion fresh.

---

Let me see how you do colors!
Memona

Postby Democritus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:29 pm

First a few replies to your aspects. I've only listed the parts I would change and given a short explanation why.

Blue (Wisdom is a Deep Blue Sea)
* Tag: The color of Blue can also be overwhelming. This color can be tagged when you are learning something new and are overwhelmed with information.
Being overwhelmed with knoweledge/information instead of general stiumli seemed to be more fitting to me

Silver (Heart of Silver)
* Tag: Emotions are also double edged and you can easily be swept away in them. When trying to cause emotion in you, a ven may tag the silver.
I just didn't like the Tag and Invoke being so similar. Also note that the reconciling or weakening of emotions is not part of silver. Silver can only cause and strengthen emotions.

I fight better when I'm drunk
* Tag: When he has to fight sober other characters can cut through his aimless movements easily.
* Compel: The character will be prone to show off during a fight or otherwise humiliate his opponent
Once again the tag is trying to be different than the invoke. Giving someone bonuses when he's fighting durnk and then giving someone else a bonus for that too just doesn't seem to work as well. Now fighting sober is a problem :)
Also the Compel is a bit more focused now and I think more troublesome.

“Kidney, Liver, Stomach, Heart.” (my favorite for the neat compel )
* Tag: The character's understanding of the ven body makes his slightly cold and aloof. Ven are no longer people but simple wet sacks with soft objects inside. Another character receives two bonus dice against the ven when it's about the emotions of other people.
Again I've tried to work on the Tag. The previous one was too tight - helping people. I've broadened it and made the character someone who has trouble understanding other people's emotions. He can deal fine with his own but he just doesn't get other people. Sounds like it would be a nice lot of trouble in Romance :D

I've been trying my hand at a few Solace Aspects so I have some on hand when I suddenly need some for an NPC.

Clouded Eyes (Solace)
* Tag: Her clouded eyes are beginning to have trouble picking out details. Can be tagged when trying to hide things, especially in bad lighting conditions.
* Compel: Can be compelled to have her eyes cloud up and distract her for a moment

Frail Voice (Solace)
* Tag: (2d) The frail voice can easily be overwhelmed in debates. When arguing with the ven, the aspect may be tagged.
* Compel: Speaking hurts so sometimes it's just better to not speak. Compel the ven to keep quiet for a few moments.

Thin Skin (Solace)
* Tag: (2d) The aging and cracking skin is vulnerable to extremer temperatures and humidities. You can tag this aspect for bonus dice for physical risks in uncomfortable conditions.
* Compel: Try to get away or avoid the uncomfortable and aching areas. Stay in the castle in winter, don't enter that swamp.

Ghostly Skin (Solace)
* Tag: (2d) As the ven nears solace, his skin grows increasingly pale and waxen. A sight that can make others uncomfortable. Tag this aspect for bonus dice when the ven is trying to gain sympathy or tries to be sincere.
* Compel: As his skin grows paler, so does his heart hardens. Compel this aspect to show no compassion or sympathy for another ven.

Grave Touch (Solace)
* Tag: (2d) The touch of the ven is uncomfortably cold. Tag this aspect to gain bonus dice when trying to rouse negative emotions for the ven, when physical contact is or was involved. Even if it was as little as a handshake.
* Compel: As others retreat from your embrace, you find yourself needing their warmth and closeness even more. Compel this aspect to force your physical presence on others. Touch their arms creepily as you shake their hand, hold them in an uncomfortably long hug.

edit: Some more. I seem to be on some kind of run here. I've also found it's easier when trying to add some "personality" to the aspects and not have them be purely physical. For example the Grave Touch above - with people shying away you need their closeness even more. Makes for a great compel.

Ptosis* (Solace)
* Tag: She was once a beautiful and well endowed woman but age has left little of that. She might still have the style but her sight no longer enchants the men, yet she keeps wearing those low cut gowns. Use this tag to resist her advances or to discredit or insult her because of her obvious lack of tact and beauty.
* Compel: Compel her to attempt to seduce a ven, especially if that someone is a Spring.

Bony Fingers (Solace)
* Tag: His hands are old and bony, and his fingers numb. They are far from nimble. Tag this aspect when competing in a physical risk that depends on manual dexterity and sleight of hand.
* Compel: The old bony hands don't open lightly. Compel the ven to physically hold on to something that he should give away.

Brittle Bones (Solace)
* Tag: The old bones are fraile and are prone to breaking under strain. Use this aspect when in a unarmed combat and other Strenght risks that deal with large weights.
* Compel: Using the bones hurts, even for mundane tasks. Compel the character to shy away from a possibly harmful physical risk.

Failing Memory (Solace)
* Tag: As the ven's memory is fading he is less and less sure of the past. Tag this aspect when involved in a Wisdom Risk about old knowledge.
* Compel: As his memory fails he finds it hard to know who to trust. Compel this aspect to mistrust a ven, even your closest friends.

Droopy Eye (Solace)
* Tag: Her eyelids don't ever seem to open fully, making it difficult to make use of her entire field of vision. Tag this aspect when something (a blade, a bird, a stone) is coming from above.
* Compel: Knowing that her sight is failing she is growing increasingly watchful and nervous. Compel to make her pay more attention to imaginary dangers than real ones.

* yes, this does in fact mean saggy breasts. Age isn't pretty. Deal with it.
Democritus

Postby Democritus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:11 am

A couple new ones I built for/with one of my players

I have no past so I can be anyone

* :invoke: [+3] This aspect can be invoked when you are trying to behave as someone else, whether a nameless servant or impersonating a specific ven.
* :tag: [+2] You don't know herself too well so when you are not actively playing someone else, your own insecurities can be tapped in Beauty Risks.
* :compel: You are interested in other people's lives to better play their parts. Others can compel you to try and find out more about the private and personal life of other ven… more than they are willing to let you know.

Nothing cuts like a Scathe

* :invoke: [+3] You can invoke this aspect when you use your special brand of criticism to Insult someone
* :tag: [+2] You are so used to delivering and recieving criticism that you are easily flustered when complimented. Other ven may tag this aspect in Beauty risks when trying to win your favor, attention or goodwill with the help of compliments.
* :compel: You can't help but point out the mistakes and failures of others. Others can compel you to insult or criticize someone for an actual or imaginary wrongdoing or mistake
Democritus

Postby Brazenleo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:01 pm

So I seem to find myself always liking a concept for an Aspect that ends up being really damn hard to define into a good, workable aspect. Here's two that I've put together. I'd love feedback on them to try to make them better.

Momma's Boy
Invoke: Gain dice to protect your Mother’s person or reputation.
Tag: When you are distracted by protecting your Mother, gain dice on any risk outside of your interest.
Compel: You must come to your Mother’s aid when you think she needs it.

In Character thoughts: My Mother was a source of inspiration and comfort to me in the harsh brutality of my father’s house. As a result I have developed an affection for her some may consider “improper”. I don’t care. I will Protect her. I will Protect her. Don’t get in my way!

"I am the Rival"
Invoke: Gain dice when contesting with another ven for some sort of “prize”.
Tag: Any current rivalry will consume your attention. Any risk happening on the sidelines of your rivalry may gain dice.
Compel: You must Contest for the sake of it. Compelled to place yourself in the path of others to test their Worth and prove your own.

This is the meaning of the character's name.
In Character thoughts: I Chose my name. Adversity builds Strength, something I have always lacked. I must test myself at every opportunity. Contest for every Prize. Challenge every Rival. All are Rivals. Fight. Strive. Win. For I prove my Strength not in my body but in my Courage and my Cunning.
--------------------------------------------------------

"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle."
— Albert Einstein
Brazenleo

Postby TheDragonMaster » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 am

Aspects are always the hardest part of character creation for me, so I figured I'd help out with this project in my own way. I've collected all of the aspects from the characters on the forum (in the House subforums anyway), done some minor reformatting, and here they are.

I'm working on compiling a list that has Invokes, Tags, and Compels sorted out (invokes in one list, tags in another list, compels in a third), to make creating new Aspects easier and will offer that up here when it's done. Can't begin to tell you how many times I had the aspect all ready, barring a tag, compel or invoke.

Demonic Strength
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when dealing with his prey.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when trying to befriend others - You creep people out
C: Gain a style point when you use your strength to show off in a dosconcerting way

The Fur Hides All Scars
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when trying to hide your secrets
T: T for 2 bonus dice when trying to understand Love
C: Gain a style point to ignore someone who needs your help

The Bloody Cudgel
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when fighting in a dirty fight
T: T for 2 bonus dice when you try to act refined
C: Gain a style point when you threaten someone more powerful than you

Blind Conviction
I: When preventing others from steering her off course with flowery language
T: If she wants to change her mind on something
C: To uphold your possition unto death or solace

Defender of Monn Row
I: When leading an entreanched force in mass murder
T: When brought to battle in open ground
C: To urge defence in battle

Loves to Ride
I: When controlling her horse
T: When at sea (becomes seasick)
C: To take to the saddle

Dirty Brawler
I: When making a hand-to-hand attack
T: She comes accorss as being harsh
C: To make a hand-to-hand blow when provoked (a head-but during an argument, a knee to the groin when in a sword lock, stomping on someone's hand when she allowed them to retrieve a weapon)

Overbearing
I: When getting others to follow her order
T: When she is attempting to ask for something
C: To take charge of a situation

Nobody’s Fool
I: When trying to discern if she is being lied to
T: When using the whole truth to coax her support
C: To look people up and down while grilling their stories

Skin like old leather
T: When she attempts to seduce another
C: To pass up the chance for Romance

Arthritic Knuckles
T: When attempting actions requiring manual dexterity
C: For a hand to sieze up

Favorite with the Ladies
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when flirting, seducing, or chating up the woman around you.
T: You have difficulty swaying a group of men to your point of view. Can be Tged when ever someone is trying to influence a group of men to their point of view.
C: Used when another character or GM wants him to flirt with a group of women.

I Know Your Family (inspired by 'Well-Known', p.159)
I: "I know a relative of yours". Gain three bonus dice in social situations when knowing the right person is useful.
T: When using disguises.
C: To be at every possible social gathering and to meddle in all social circles.

* Intercepted Letter
I: "I know your Secret." Gain three bonus dice when attempting to find out someone's secret.
T: In social situations involving trust.
C: Overhearing conversations, being nosy about even mundane things.

Don’t Teach your grandmother to suck eggs
I: knowledge of how things work
T: Unfamiliar with new concepts, technologies, and imports
C: When I was a kid...

I am telling the truth.
I: When trying to convince someone of her intentions
T: When lying
C: Say things true.

We have met, haven’t we?
I: When remembering information about new characters
T: They remember information/rumors about her too.
C: Greet everyone.

Well Mannered
I: Knows the courtly system of manners like the back of her hand.
T: Pauses when rudeness shows up in its party dress.
C: Will not break the rules of etiquette.

Busybody
I: When interfering in the lives of younger ven around her.
T: When trying to keep secrets from her.
C: Interfere in the lives of all ven who obviously need her wisdom.

Observant
I: To notice things meant to be hidden
T: slight of hand can fool her.
C: To seek out information.

Brittle Bones
C: What did I come in here for?

Self-Destructive
I - Alexai sees the right choice, but he consciously chooses the wrong path. Additional dice when performing a foolhardy stunt.
T - Alexai's own recklessness can be used against him for additional dice in a contested roll
C - Always looking for an excuse to cause trouble, Alexai can be Cled to make an ignorant decision

Momma’s Boy
I: Gain dice to protect my Mother’s person or reputation.
T: When I am distracted by protecting my Mother, gain dice on any risk outside of my interest.
C: I must come to my Mother’s aid when I feel she needs it.

“I am the Rival”
I: Gain dice when contesting with another ven for some sort of “prize”.
T: Any current rivalry will consume my attention. Risks happening on the sidelines of my rivalry may gain dice.
C: I must Contest for the sake of it. Cled to place myself in the path of others to test their Worth and prove my own.

“I Keep My Friends Close…”
I: (3 bonus dice for) Finding out information about others.
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) I may give out more information than I intended.
C: (a Style point makes me) Curious. Though the words nosy and busybody may have been mentioned once or twice…

More Balls Than Brains
I: (3 bonus dice for) When taking a particularly risky action with a high probability of failure.
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) If I have to take time to make decisions.
C: (a Style point makes me) Take dangerous risks.

A Thoughtful Wife
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting Beauty Risks.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when pointing out his flawed nature.
C: Gain a style point to revel in the Sailor's Delights - salty language, course manners, and questionable behavior.

Yellowed Barnacles
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when facing more than one opponent - ven or orc.
T: T for 2 bonus dice to call on the many scars you have from previous violence.
C: Telamon gains a Style point when he speaks of the Horrors o' the Deep.

Well Traveled
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting real-world based knowledge risks.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when attempting a risk about ancient or book knowledge.
C: Telamon gains a Style Point to scoff at those who live in Ivory Towers.

Penavu
I: Telamon gains 3 bonus dice when fighting with a bow.
T: Telamon can be Tged for 2 bonus dice when others point out that favors a Tool.
C: Telamon gains a Style point when he spares the unBlooded.

The Ocean's in my Blood
I: (3 bonus dice for) Working on/with the Sea
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) Get antsy when far from the ocean.
C: (a Style Point makes me) Spend time around water

"I Will find you..."
I: (3 bonus dice for) Searching for things
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) I examine things too closely
C: (a Style Point makes me) Look for additional details

Intellectual Savage
I: Intellectual Savage grants bonus dice whenever unorthodox ideas that Ithuro learned of while traveling the Great Enemy are a part of his cunning plans.
T: To mark him as a black sheep and a savage in the public eye.
C: To force Ithuro to become tactless due to his pragmatism.

Wrestles with Ork
I: Wrestles with Ork grants bonus dice while wrestling or grappling.
T: To have other Ven mock him or question the propriety of a Ven not carrying a sword.
C: To force Ithuro to fight without weapons.

Watchful
I: On Wisdom risks pertaining to perception.
T: Push a conservative agenda.
C: To se danger where there is none

The People’s Roadman
I: When fighting to protect someone other then myself
“As a Roadman I constantly had to place my blade between innocents and Orks”
T: when my opponent knows my fighting style
“Tales of how I fight float about the lands, all it would take is a little study”
C: to feel the need to risk my own life to protect others
“I served as a Roadman for so long its easy to fall back on those instincts”

The Romantic Rogue
I: to appear as a dashing, daring, romantic scoundrel
“Women love a bad boy… at least for a night.”
T: to foul up my Romance with the truth about a scoundrel.
“When the truth about a rogue comes out, its always worse then the fiction.”
C: to force me to avoid my current Romance
“I can never promise if I will be there in the morning…”

“I have Hidden my face before.”
I: when trying to disguise myself on the roads
“I spent years as a Roadman with no one being any wiser to my Blood.”
T: when trying to tell others of my exploits
“Many a times my deeds on the road were attributed to someone else…”
C: to force me to seek shelter in anonymity.
“Things are just simpler if you are not of the Blood.”

Looks Good On Paper
I - Golden Quill (When expressing himself in writing)
T - Fair Distraction (Unable to concentrate in the presence of great beauty)
C - Copyeditor (When a document is poorly written)

Land-Snatcher
I: Any risk involving the thievery of Lands
T: To discover my land-snatching intent.
C: Cannot deny an invitation to another lands.

Gregarious
I: [3] When making a first impression
T: [2] Friends I have lost can T me
C: I can be Cled to make a new first impression

Unorthodox Duelist
I: When using my strange style of dueling
T: Classic style duelists have an easy time getting by my defense
C: I can be Cled to avoid dueling

Blood Sword
"The blade is my brush"
I: When using my Blood Sword in a duel
T: When another Ven is not wearing a Blood Sword
C: I can be Cled to act in a violent way

Drunken Muse
"I can hear her sing to me, after a drink"
I: [3] When drinking wine I find my muse when taking beauty risks involving art
T: [2] When drunk my handwriting is hard to read
C: When drunk, I can be led to make art on the spot

“I can resist anything . . . except temptation”
I. To turn an offered temptation to my advantage.
T. Figure out what sort of bender I am on and you can turn it against me (“Flying monkeys!”)
C. To succumb to any seduction attempt, offer of pharmacopeia, and so on

Sardonic Wit
I. To best you in a duel of wits and words.
T. Cannot resist being witty even when being direct would be better, “takes me three paragraphs to introduce myself”.
C. To insult some one I should not, to be bitter when uncalled for, and so on

Gonzo Alchemist
I. That can be made into an intoxicant, let me show you.
T. I have tried something before it was ready (“When did you grow that second head, madam?”)
C. To create and try a new drug on the fly, to acquire a new ingredient or recipe, and so on.

"I know what you did last summer."
I: He can I his aspect to know something about another character. Especially, things the other character would have liked to remain hidden.
T: Someone can T this aspect to when being known as a gossip hurts the reputation of Ashkelion or when Ashkelion's integrity is at stake.
C: The aspect can be Cled to have Ashkelion hunt for latest gossip.

Rebel without a cause
I: He can I the aspect to Insult and disgrace people.
T: Someone can T this aspect when lack of manners and respect could hurt Ashkelion.
C: The aspect can be Cled to have Ashkelion behave inapropriately or to have him Insult someone of higher social standing.

Academy Elite
Top graduate in your Academy Class
I: When called upon for knowledge-based risks
T: You tend underestimate the uneducated
C: Prefers the ideas of the Educated.

Grew Up in a Wolf Household
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when fighting on the Defensive
T: T for 2 bonus dice when you are on the Offense.
C: Gain a style point to avoid fighting.

Enlightened Madness
I: to see the pattern in things
T: to be distracted/obsessed by details
C to make me obsess over some something - even when the castle is burning down around me)

Politely Ignored
I: can say things out loud and not draw wrath,
T: to off-hand anything I say
C: to bring about wild ranting & raving

My Eyes Weep for Your Trust
I: (3 bonus dice for) Earning people’s trust
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) I use trust to my advanTe
C: (a Style Point makes me) Reluctant to make promises

The Dust of the World on My Fingertips
I: (3 bonus dice for) Knowledge of sorcery
T: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) A little creepy
C: (a Style Point makes me) Gain more knowledge

Historian: "Only by understanding our past can we determine our future."
I: When making claims about Ven history.
T: In social risks where forcefulness or brevity is called for.
C: Too much perspective makes short-term decisions seem inconsequential, and thus I can be led to make them more or less at random.

Senvada
I: Researching new sorceries or making Wisdom/Cunning Risks regarding sorcery and the sorcerer-kings.
T: Creepy. Tagged in charm/seduction situations.
C: Now that I have tasted the forbidden knowledge of the sorcerer-kings, I can never get enough.

"...But the blow never landed..."
I: To avoid a blow in Prowess risks.
T: When they start to realize I always duck, they start aiming lower.
C: To back down from duels.

Beautiful Vengeance.
I: sway other ven with the beauty of his vengeance.
T: hot-headed and brash, even in social situations where calm and culture would be better.
C: treat a social situation as just another opportunity to search for his brother's killer... or, once he has found him or her, to pursue Vengeance.

The Silver Fang
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to influence others.
T: T for 2 bonus dice to uncover my identity when I try to hide it from someone.
C: "I have a reputation to maintain." Gain a style point to maintain my ruthless fame.

Veteran Campaigner
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when making physical risks typical of a soldier.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when pointing out his flawed manners.
C: Gain a style point to use the rough language and manners of the campaign trail.

The Sava Senvu
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when fighting with the same hand as your opponent.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when fighting an enemy armed with a hand held ranged weapon (bow, gun, magic item).
C: Griffin gains a Style Point when he spares a defeated enemy.

Well Traveled
C: Griffin gains a Style Point when led to pry into a current event.

Eyes of Sorrow
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to see the Feint within the Feint.
T: T for 2 bonus dice to show Griffin how evil the world really is.
C: Griffin gains a Style Point when led to assume the worst about a situation.

The Sea Wolf
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to influence others.
T: T for 2 bonus dice to uncover my identity when I try to hide it from someone.
C: "I have a reputation to maintain." Gain a style point to maintain my ruthless fame.

Able Seaman
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting Strength Risks that sailors might do.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when pointing out his flawed manners.
C: Gain a style point to revel in the Sailor's Delights - salty language, course manners, and questionable behavior.

The Subtle Senvu
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when fighting with the same hand as your opponent.
T: T for 2 bonus dice when fighting an enemy armed with a hand held ranged weapon (bow, gun, magic item).
C: Ramus gains a Style Point when he is Cled to spare a defenseless opponent.

Well Traveled
C: Ramus gains a Style Point when Cled to pry into a current event.

Eyes of Sorrow
I: Gain 3 bonus dice when attempting to see the world as it really is.
T: T for 2 bonus dice to show Ramus the evil in others.
C: Ramus gains a Style Point when Cled to assume the worst about a situation.

Family Trees
I: to know of another ven's family tree
T: if he is unsure of some ones lineage
C: to learn the lineage of people new to him, no matter how impolite)

Suffers No Bastard-Blooded
I: in violence against a Blooded Ven born of common (grand)parents
T: when he is acting against someone who is "pure"
C: to seek the death of those Blooded born of common ancestry - Including himself!)

Honorable Sword
I: Trained in the Good Form of Fencing, honor, stell, blood. He wins 3 dice for fencing.
T: He never uses tricks or trys to win non honorable advanTe in duel. (opponent can claim 2 dice).
C: The code of honor. Can't fight with an unarmed, injured or incompetent (unless attacked). Must give mercy if the opponent surrenders... and so on.

My Tongue is as keen as my sword
I: He is fast to answer with a clever statement, full of irony... +3 dice in Debate
T: He can be driven to a "trap" so he can look mean. Opponents can claim 2 Dice.
C: He always must say the last word. He can't just bite his tongue...

Dreams of blood
I: When plotting or carrying out plans to harm another Ven
T: When trying to solve problems through non violent ways
C: To commit acts of violence against those he thinks have wronged him

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
I: To bend others to his will and force them to agree with his plans
T: To not see something, metaphorically or physically
C: To act in an imperious, arrogant and tyrannical manner

Bravo Swordsman
I: Three extra dice when fighting with a sword.
T: Fyx's sword style (Sheeda Do'Kay, Talon of the Iron Wolf) was designed for an urban environment. When forced to fight in the wilderness, his opponents can T him for extra dice.
C: It's a great dishonor to back down from a fight. If challenged to a duel, others can C Fyx to accept the challenge, no matter how foolish that might be.

Poetic Heart
I: Three extra dice when reciting or creating romantic poetry.
T: Fyx thinks with his heart more than his head. Females can T this aspect for extra dice when trying to persuade him to do something.
C: Fyx is easily distracted by music and verse. Other players can C him to focus attention on nearby poetic performances, ignoring the rest of his surroundings.
TheDragonMaster

Postby TheDragonMaster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Thought I'd add a few aspects that came from my Random Aspect Generator. I'll grant that the last one would probably count as bad form, but it was too perfect to leave out .

Lousy Drunk
I: when he is drunk and is fighting.
T: When someone is attempting to reconcile or brew emotions inside of this character
C: What did I come in here for?

Swordman of House Caplan
I: Trained in the Good Form of Fencing, honor, steel, blood.
T: Classic style duelists have an easy time getting by my defense
C: to seek the death of those Blooded born of common ancestry - Including himself!)

Savage General
I: To bend others to his will and force them to agree with his plans
T: To mark him as a black sheep and a savage in the public eye.
C: to use the rough language and manners of the campaign trail.

Grand Host
I: when attempting to influence others.
T: When using the whole truth to coax her support
C: Greet everyone.

Heart of Aban
I: when flirting, seducing, or chating up the woman around you.
T: to foul up my Romance with the truth about a scoundrel.
C: to come to my (Interest)'s aid when I feel she needs it.

Paranoid Rival
I: When preventing others from steering her off course with flowery language
T: Any current rivalry will consume your attention..
C: to mistrust a ven, even your closest friends.

Losing it Slowly
I: To best you in a duel of wits and words.
T: I may give out more information than I intended.
C: to bring about wild ranting & raving

Violent Drunk
I: when he is drunk and is fighting.
T: to further stimulate shame when he is acting out of place
C: to place myself in the path of others to test their Worth and prove my own.

House, MD
T: He comes acorss as being harsh
C: to try and find out more about the private and personal life of other ven, more than they are willing to let you know.
TheDragonMaster

Postby Khuxan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 pm

TheDragonMaster wrote:I'll grant that the last one would probably count as bad form, but it was too perfect to leave out .
[snip]
House, MD
T: He comes acorss as being harsh
C: to try and find out more about the private and personal life of other ven, more than they are willing to let you know.

Do you mean the name or the Aspect itself? Because I think it'd be a great Aspect if it had another name.
Khuxan

Postby TheDragonMaster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 am

Referring to the name, since mentioning any other fictional world is considered bad form (don't agree with that distinction myself, but then it isn't my game).

Also, you can download a copy of the Random Aspect Generator from: http://theprophecy.pbworks.com/f/Aspect%20Generator.zip

It's a fun little program and the more invokes/tags/compels that you add to it, the better it will function (i.e, the fewer repeats you'll get) though it has about 100 of each right now.
TheDragonMaster

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:17 am

Don't take this the wrong way (as it is just a personal flavour of the game thing), but there is something about a Random Aspect Generator that just somehow seems wrong to me... Aspects are something so personalised to a character that randomely generating them seems like putting the cart before the horse. Thinking in those terms, I could see how you could build a character from the Aspects, just not my thing I guess...

That all being said it is an impressive piece of work and a usefull tool to some folks so have a Style Point on me. Also, I have been known to be proven wring on occasion, so I'm off to give the generator a more through work-out :)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Next

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion