The Aspect Thread

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Re: The Aspect Thread

Postby TheDragonMaster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 am

For me I have trouble creating the aspects. I may come up with one or two parts of it, but then feel I have to come up with a different aspect because I just can't come up with the third part. That's why I wrote the program. When I get stuck on one part, I can just load up the program and generate a few till I either fine one that works for me, or till I'm inspired to a different one.

But you're right, it's not for everyone.
TheDragonMaster

Postby bookkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:20 am

With a freshly-activated account, figured I'd anchor my place with an aspect I developed as a more artsy take on Shara's:

"My Arts Draw Blood"
I: When inflicting pain
T: Cannot act in a fully benevolent fashion
C: To inflict pain or to "twist the knife" in an already vulnerable person
bookkeeper

Postby wunderworks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am

bookkeeper wrote:With a freshly-activated account, figured I'd anchor my place with an aspect I developed as a more artsy take on Shara's:

"My Arts Draw Blood"
I: When inflicting pain
T: Cannot act in a fully benevolent fashion
C: To inflict pain or to "twist the knife" in an already vulnerable person

Oooh I like. So if your character acts in a benevolent fashion without some sort of hook into the person then someone else can tag the Aspect?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 am

Inflicting pain seems a little general - reminding someone of a painful chldhood memory mid party and slicing off someones finger-tips in a dungeon are both different takes on this. "When inflicting pain in X circimstance" may work better.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby bookkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:18 pm

wunderworks wrote:Oooh I like. So if your character acts in a benevolent fashion without some sort of hook into the person then someone else can tag the Aspect?

Precisely. This is going to go over great the first time a superior asks him for something.

Tsanuri wrote:Inflicting pain seems a little general - reminding someone of a painful chldhood memory mid party and slicing off someones finger-tips in a dungeon are both different takes on this. "When inflicting pain in X circimstance" may work better.

I considered focusing it on social situations, but the example from the book that is most similar ("I know how to hurt you") gets used in a variety of circumstances.
bookkeeper

Postby Paranrom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 pm

so i don't feel that I'm the greatest at making aspects but in trying to make them i thought i would post one and get some helpful feed back. any feedback is welcomed.

The Bowmen

Invoke: can gain bonus dice when using the the bow

Tag: you have chosen the Bow over the Sword and have let your sword style get a bit rusty. when you are using a sword others can tag you to take advantage of your rusty swordsmanship.

i have the hardest time writing with the compel part

Compel: Because you have chosen the bow you view the bow as a superior weapon over the sword. you talk down to others and belittle individuals that excel at swordsmanship seeing them as inferior to you.
Paranrom

Postby Paint Scribe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm

that's a great aspect!

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Feedback? A perfectly crafted Aspect - Bravo!
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Paranrom » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:39 pm

:) thanks
Thanks for the quick reply. and sorry it took a while for me to respond.

i have a few others but i don't have them on me.

a question. what would be to specific? like using a bow good, but using a bow while hiding in a tree would that be too narrow right?
Paranrom

Postby Paint Scribe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 am

I'd probably choose something a little broader (Shooting a bow from a hidden position) which would allow tree, or hidden corridor, or behind a rock. or even ranged weapons from a hidden position, allowing knives and throwing stars, etc...

I like to think of Aspects as a way of helping defining a personality. If you're a great shot with the bow period, or if you are a sneaky assassin-type bowman.

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion