The Aspect Thread

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Re: The Aspect Thread

Postby Amp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:02 pm

No, there is one instance when a Ven looses dice. That's irrelevant.

Amp wrote:Perhaps the wording could be done differently? Or is it that another Ven can use the Tag any time the character is trying to keep his composure(As a result of a severe split in concentration)? At the very least, I recommend being a little more specific. Wording is important, after all.
Just my two Food resources.

Always looking to join an online campaign, especially RTI. PM me with information if looking for players.
Amp

Postby wunderworks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Ven never lose dice - except when facing the Followers of Afhil. ;)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Amp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 pm

As I said, one instance.

Now to put the topic back on track, an Aspect I thought of on the way home:

Name: Half-blind
Invoke: While one sense has gotten weaker, the others have improved somewhat to compensate. +3 dice on any risk not involving the use of your eyes.
Tag: Still, the fact remains that your eyes are certainly not all that great, either due to accident, age, or genetic predisposition. Anyone can Tag this aspect to gain +2 dice on any competitive risk requiring sight.
Compel: Sometimes, even squinting doesn't completely help. Anyone can use this Compel to force you to be unable to notice fine visual details, like small text, slight variations in colour or shape, or distant objects.
Just my two Food resources.

Always looking to join an online campaign, especially RTI. PM me with information if looking for players.
Amp

Postby Ramidel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Here's one of mine, based off a character I ran in a non-HotBlooded game, the reputation she managed to gain from the other players, and her final fate...

Aura of Invincibility
Invoke: All around you fear you, for your plans always hide further snares, and even an apparent defeat can mask a hidden victory. Invoke this Aspect to gain +3 dice in any social situation where another ven opposes your will.
Tag: You cannot allow yourself to be defeated, for when you are weakest, your foes will gather to cast you down, rather than let you rebuild your strength to fight back. When your plans are indisputably* defeated or set back, anyone opposing you for the rest of the story may Tag this aspect for two dice.
Compel: You cannot allow your position to be challenged. Compel this aspect to force you to attempt to bring about the defeat or ruin of one who has challenged your power or your plans.

*Does this word encourage the Serpent to have six different contingency plans for eight possible situations, to modify them on the fly so that the agenda stays on course, and to build such circuitous schemes that even she can't be sure whether she's won or lost? Yes it does.
Ramidel

Postby jonathan_sicari » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 am

I am considering for my first character a ven who started as a roadman or personal guard and in his first battle with Ork, his blade shattered in his grasp and the Ork he faced drove its blade into him. Wresting the weapon from his foe, he slew the Ork and helped turn the tide of battle. Some starting aspects I'm considering/trying my hand at making.

"I wield an Orkish blade"

Invoke: When wielding a blade forged by Ork.
Tag: The unwieldy Ork weapons leave their wielder vulnerable to a swift stab by their opponent(s).
Compel: Distrusts ven and veth bladecrafting and can be forced to give up a good ven blade for Ork.

"Dashing Hero"
Invoke: When starting a romance with a female he rescued.
Tag: When threatening a hostage female.
Compel: Can be forced to intercede for a damsel in distress.

Jonathan
jonathan_sicari

Postby Nevermet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:37 am

jonathan_sicari wrote:Invoke: When wielding a blade forged by Ork.
Tag: The unwieldy Ork weapons leave their wielder vulnerable to a swift stab by their opponent(s).
Compel: Distrusts ven and veth bladecrafting and can be forced to give up a good ven blade for Ork.

This one is tricky. The first two almost read like a senvu sword style, but instead of it being about a style it's about using a specific sort of sword. Then the compel is about throwing away that specific sword, thereby rendering the invoke and tag impossible. I don't have a good suggestion for you yet, though. Sorry.
Nick the Nevermet.
Always interested in Houses of the Blooded PBEM or PbP games.
Nevermet

Postby jonathan_sicari » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:43 am

Nevermet wrote:
jonathan_sicari wrote:Invoke: When wielding a blade forged by Ork.

This one is tricky. The first two almost read like a senvu sword style, but instead of it being about a style it's about using a specific sort of sword. Then the compel is about throwing away that specific sword, thereby rendering the invoke and tag impossible. I don't have a good suggestion for you yet, though. Sorry.

Um, I think you may have inverted the compel somewhere (although it may need more work). Say for ceremonial reasons he is carrying a blade of ven manufacture (he does not want to Insult the host of the party with his choice in blades). He ends up engaged in a duel and his opponent spends a style to "generously" suggest that he use a more familiar weapon as the opponent does not want to take "unfair" advantage (in reality knows about the tag and wants to use it). Then he gets his Orkish blade for the duel.
jonathan_sicari

Postby Black King » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm not really a fan of aspects that can be invoked and tagged in the exact same circumstance. First it only serves to give the player a one die and possibly one style advantage out of the whole thing, and second it just doesn't feel right to me, I don't think that was the way they were intended.

I'd suggest that the invoke and compel are excellent, but the tag should be switched for something more along the lines of a social penalty because you use an ork weapon. Or perhaps that when you are using a ven sword the tag can be used because you are not as familiar with the different style.

I'm sure you're speaking completely hypothetically because orks with tools, let alone swords is preposterous :lol: .
Black King

Postby jonathan_sicari » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Black King wrote:I'm not really a fan of aspects that can be invoked and tagged in the exact same circumstance. First it only serves to give the player a one die and possibly one style advantage out of the whole thing, and second it just doesn't feel right to me, I don't think that was the way they were intended.

I'd suggest that the invoke and compel are excellent, but the tag should be switched for something more along the lines of a social penalty because you use an ork weapon. Or perhaps that when you are using a ven sword the tag can be used because you are not as familiar with the different style.

I'm sure you're speaking completely hypothetically because orks with tools, let alone swords is preposterous :lol: .

I originally thought something along those line (a social penalty) but I was trying to model it off the swordsman aspect. I could try tag: When being criticized for being uncouth?

:o
jonathan_sicari

Postby wastevens » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 pm

The 'tag and invoke in the same circumstances' thing is basically how all the Senvu aspects work. You Invoke them when swordfighting, but someone who knows your fighting style can Tag you.
wastevens

PreviousNext

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion