I didn't realize how much I appreciated this game...

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

I didn't realize how much I appreciated this game...

Postby Nevermet » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 pm

...until I made characters.

I wasn't sure if I 'got' the game.
I decided that a good way to get into it was character generation, and...

...And then I blinked. I had just made 5 characters, and without realizing it AT ALL, I made 1 PC from every house. I wasn't trying to do this, and none of the concepts started with the house. All concepts started with a goal or a defining event, and then I asked "ok, so what house does this fit?" And after finishing the basic concept, I asked myself, "ok, what would be another, really different concept?" And I didn't notice I covered all 5 until I started having trouble coming up with different concepts.

I'm not quite sure if this makes sense outside my head, but just doing that made me double my respect for the game.

(also, for the record: Elf -> Wolf -> Serpent -> Falcon -> Fox)

PS - And now I desperately want to play all 5. Dammit.

EDIT: tried making myself more clear
Nick the Nevermet.
Always interested in Houses of the Blooded PBEM or PbP games.
Nevermet

Re: I didn't realize how much I appreciated this game...

Postby CodexArcanum » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:39 pm

There's six houses buddy. You've got more characters to make. :D You need a Bear (or a B'ar, as we say) to round out that set.
CodexArcanum

Postby JohnWick » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Nevermet wrote:...until I made characters.

I wasn't sure if I 'got' the game.
I decided that a good way to get into it was character generation, and...

...And then I blinked. I had just made 5 characters, and without realizing it AT ALL, I made 1 PC from every house. I wasn't trying to do this, and none of the concepts started with the house. All concepts started with a goal or a defining event, and then I asked "ok, so what house does this fit?" And after finishing the basic concept, I asked myself, "ok, what would be another, really different concept?" And I didn't notice I covered all 5 until I started having trouble coming up with different concepts.

I'm not quite sure if this makes sense outside my head, but just doing that made me double my respect for the game.

(also, for the record: Elf -> Wolf -> Serpent -> Falcon -> Fox)

PS - And now I desperately want to play all 5. Dammit.

EDIT: tried making myself more clear

Extra characters make great NPCs. Cousins, Spouses, Brothers, Sisters, Seneschals, Swordsmen, Master of the Road...
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Nevermet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 pm

CodexArcanum wrote:There's six houses buddy. You've got more characters to make. :D You need a Bear (or a B'ar, as we say) to round out that set.

I usually don't set myself up to be the Fool to this degree.
:geek:
Nick the Nevermet.
Always interested in Houses of the Blooded PBEM or PbP games.
Nevermet

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion