Ritual: The Tongue

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Ritual: The Tongue

Postby Democritus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

The Tongue
The Tongue is a ritual that is an less common variant of the Oath. It is quite similar in purpose and execution with the main difference being that no lasting bond is formed.

To work the ritual, all the sorcerer needs is an Orichalcum knife, a cup, the appropriate herbs and one or more willing participants. The sorceror does not have to be among them. He can simply work the sorcery on the willing particpants and then observe the results.

All ven use the ritual knife to cut their tongues (a rank 1 Injury, "cut tongue") and bleed into the cup. The sorcerer then adds the Herbs to the cup and hands it to the first particpant. He drinks, just one sip. One sip. To ensure that blood remains in the cup. He then hands the cup to the other participants, if any. After drinking, the enchanted blood will enter his body and he can feel the sorcery being active. It will remain so until the remaining blood in the cup is spilled. (Yes, if the cup is empty, the ritual has no expiration date).

While the ritual lasts, the first question the ven is asked, he will feel compelled to answer with the truth. The Truth. If he does so, then the ritual wears off for him. He can refuse to answer but then the magic will remain until the time that he answers one single question truthfully. However should he try to lie or obscure the truth, or parts therof, then the curse of the Tongue will come to bear.

In the middle of the lie, the ven will be shaken by violent cramps in his stomach. He will turn a sick shade of pale and with a sudden burst he will vomit forth large amounts of his own blood. He will suffer a rank 4 Injury ("blood vomit") and remain sickly until the injury is healed. Until that happens though, he will be visible as a liar to everyone with knowledge of the ritual. Yes, this injury can be tagged like all others, but not for physical risks but when trying to expose the ven as a liar or discrediting him.

Due to the forbidden nature of Sorcery it is not allowed in the court room and confessions made while under its effects are not applicable but it is still used frequently in private “discussions”.
Last edited by Democritus on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Democritus

Re: Ritual: The Tongue

Postby JohnWick » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:09 am

Democritus wrote:The Tongue
The Tongue is a ritual that is an less common variant of the Oath. It is quite similar in purpose and execution with the main difference being that no lasting bond is formed.

To work the ritual, all the sorcerer needs is an Orichalcum knife, a cup, the appropriate herbs and one or more willing participants. The sorceror does not have to be among them. He can simply work the sorcery on the willing particpants and then observe the results.

All ven use the ritual knife to cut their tongues (a rank 1 Injury, "cut tongue") and bleed into the cup. The sorcerer then adds the Herbs to the cup and hands it to the first particpant. He drinks, just one sip. One sip. To ensure that blood remains in the cup. He then hands the cup to the other participants, if any. After drinking, the enchanted blood will enter his body and he can feel the sorcery being active. It will remain so until the remaining blood in the cup is spilled. (Yes, if the cup is empty, the ritual has no expiration date).

While the ritual lasts, the first question the ven is asked, he will feel compelled to answer with the truth. The Truth. If he does so, then the ritual wears off for him. He can refuse to answer but then the magic will remain until the time that he answers one single question truthfully. However should he try to lie or obscure the truth, then the curse of the Tongue will come to bear.

In the middle of the lie, the ven will be shaken by violent cramps in his stomach. He will turn a sick shade of pale and with a sudden burst he will vomit forth large amounts of his own blood. He will suffer a rank 4 Injury ("blood vomit") and remain sickly until the injury is healed. Until that happens though, he will be visible as a liar to everyone with knowledge of the ritual. Yes, this injury can be tagged like all others, but not for physical risks but when trying to expose the ven as a liar or discrediting him.

Due to the forbidden nature of Sorcery it is not allowed in the court room and confessions made while under its effects are not applicable but it is still used frequently in private “discussions”.

I'm generally unfavorable to "force you to tell the truth" magic. There is one Blessing that does something similar, but I try to keep it out of the game for a few reasons. I like ambiguity, I like not knowing, I like mystery. That's why I don't like it in my own game.

However, the Ritual is a part of ven history--I verified its existence in my own resources--and therefore, it is Approved by the Shanri Research Institute. I'd just suggest caution in letting your players research it. For my own taste, it can spoil great mysteries a little too easily.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Re: Ritual: The Tongue

Postby Democritus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21 am

JohnWick wrote:I'm generally unfavorable to "force you to tell the truth" magic. There is one Blessing that does something similar, but I try to keep it out of the game for a few reasons. I like ambiguity, I like not knowing, I like mystery. That's why I don't like it in my own game.

I do agree with you but as this ritual plays a central part in the scattered fragments I have found I couldn't keep this away from you. Granted the "Chronicles of the Order of the veiled Leaves" might be forgeries, but as far as I can tell, they seem to be genuine. Either way, this ritual is the cornerstone on which the Order's "trust" is built, which is enough proof for me that it was in fact practised by a few ven.

As far as the general ambiguity of ven Pillowbooks is concerned: The ritual is not the usual brand of truth magic found in common legends of sorcery. First it requires a willing participant to work, and even then, he can refuse to answer if he dislikes the question. Granted, the magic will remain active and the target will eventually have to reply to some question, but if he's lucky it's just something harmless like a question about his favorite color. I have also read scraps of a pillowbook where this ritual plays a central and tragic role: Two lovers use it to ensure themselves of each others undying love. She asks him and he answers truthfully and deeply but when he asks her, his question is unfavorably worded and so she is forced to reveal more than she wanted. This revelation tears them apart and eventually leads to the death of one of the two and the veiling of the house of the other one.

It is really a tragic story, too bad that many parts are missing, but that's the best synopsis that I could scrape together.
Democritus

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion