Translating WoD Attribs to Virtues

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Translating WoD Attribs to Virtues

Postby Nephandus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

So, I'm considering pitching HotB to some WoD players.

I've given a bit of thought toward "translation", for those who simply can't break mindset enough to come at things from a fresh angle. Let me know if this all seems fairly legit:

Intelligence -> Wisdom
Wits -> Cunning
Resolve -> Courage
Strength -> Strength
Dexterity -> Prowess
Stamina -> Strength
Presence -> Beauty
Manipulation -> Cunning or Beauty, depending on whether you're doing it covertly or overtly?
Composure -> Courage

What do you guys think, are Virtues comparable to Attributes in WoD, or should they work more like the stats in Sorcerer, where it's less about how you're going about something and more about what you're trying to achieve?

Thanks!
Nephandus

Re: Translating WoD Attribs to Virtues

Postby JustJonny » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm much more familiar with old WoD attributes, so I'm assuming that where they aren't the same, the new one is similar to the old one that it sounds most like (for example Charisma for Presence). Given that, I think you've translated them as well as is possible, but direct translation has limits. For example, Prowess would work for martial uses of Dexterity, but using Dexterity to climb a wall would fall under Strength in HotB, and martial applications of Intelligence are done with Prowess in HotB.

I think this would be a good starting place to introduce it to new players, but remind them that Virtues are more narrative oriented than simulation oriented.
JustJonny

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 am

Nephandus, sounds like a good start to give your players a foothold on the virtues general concepts. If they're adaptive, they'll be virtuous in no time!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Nephandus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

JustJonny wrote:I'm much more familiar with old WoD attributes, so I'm assuming that where they aren't the same, the new one is similar to the old one that it sounds most like (for example Charisma for Presence). Given that, I think you've translated them as well as is possible, but direct translation has limits. For example, Prowess would work for martial uses of Dexterity, but using Dexterity to climb a wall would fall under Strength in HotB, and martial applications of Intelligence are done with Prowess in HotB.

I think this would be a good starting place to introduce it to new players, but remind them that Virtues are more narrative oriented than simulation oriented.

Those are great points. And that "narrative rather than simulation" is what I was getting at with the Sorcerer comparison. The Stamina, Will, and Lore attributes in Sorcerer are not based on how you set out to accomplish something, but rather what effect you are trying to have- Stamina for affecting the physical world, Will for affecting social change, and Lore for dealing with Demons and Sorcery.
Nephandus

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion