Some questions on Houses of the Blooded

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Some questions on Houses of the Blooded

Postby Toru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi~! :)

This is Toru. I introduced myself in Nov 2014 and since then I've been around silently, browsing through the forums. I found that people here seems quite nice and there are a lot of pretty useful threads :)
What I omitted to say back then it's that I'm also in charge of the translation of HotB into Spanish - I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, I didn't want to spoil the surprise too soon in case any Spanish-speaker is reading! But the translation is now almost finished and my publisher said it is OK if I let it leak.

So! I've already implemented all the errata in the forum thread and in John's blog, but I still have some questions. I'll be posting them in this thread. Would any of you be so kind to help me? I would like the published version so be super neat and clear :)

OK, here I go! (Oh my, I talk too much):

1) Can you buy Rituals and Maneuvers at character creation with bonus points?

2) The main Serpent family name appears sometimes as Mwrr and sometimes as Mwnn. Should I unify them?

3) In p. 320 it says that you cannot use the Fox Blessing The Most Subtle Weapon “if Wisdom is your weakness.” Should it be Beauty, instead?

4) I don't quite understand the steps for duels... It looks like you declare intentions twice: one at the very beginning “Step 0: Announce intention”, and another one at “Step 3: Intent”, after having gathered dice ­― unlike in contested risks, in which you only declare intention before gathering dice. Is it that in Step 0 of Risk you just announce your will of fighting (for surprise rules) and then after gathering dice you declare you exact intentions, i. e., use of maneuvers and so?

5) Does anybody know Bennyn Thorne's gender? The Spanish word for "Earl" does have a feminine and a masculine form. (The others we could guess from here.)

6) In p. 339. Does anybody know who is R. A. W.?

I hope these aren't too many questions! I have one or two questions more about Maneuvers, but I want to read again all the section before bothering you again.
Thank you very much in advance!

I'm so so looking forward to running a game of Houses! But I'm waiting until the Spanish translation is finished so I can playtest it and see how the terms feel for the players and that kind of thing.
Toru

Re: Some questions on Houses of the Blooded

Postby Nephandus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:38 am

Hey! This forum isn't super active lately. You'd probably be better off contacting John Wick directly, on Facebook, G+, or via email from the HotB website.

Good luck!
Nephandus

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:51 am

Toru wrote:Hi~! :)

This is Toru. I introduced myself in Nov 2014 and since then I've been around silently, browsing through the forums. I found that people here seems quite nice and there are a lot of pretty useful threads :)
What I omitted to say back then it's that I'm also in charge of the translation of HotB into Spanish - I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, I didn't want to spoil the surprise too soon in case any Spanish-speaker is reading! But the translation is now almost finished and my publisher said it is OK if I let it leak.

So! I've already implemented all the errata in the forum thread and in John's blog, but I still have some questions. I'll be posting them in this thread. Would any of you be so kind to help me? I would like the published version so be super neat and clear :)

OK, here I go! (Oh my, I talk too much):

1) Can you buy Rituals and Maneuvers at character creation with bonus points?

2) The main Serpent family name appears sometimes as Mwrr and sometimes as Mwnn. Should I unify them?

3) In p. 320 it says that you cannot use the Fox Blessing The Most Subtle Weapon “if Wisdom is your weakness.” Should it be Beauty, instead?

4) I don't quite understand the steps for duels... It looks like you declare intentions twice: one at the very beginning “Step 0: Announce intention”, and another one at “Step 3: Intent”, after having gathered dice ­― unlike in contested risks, in which you only declare intention before gathering dice. Is it that in Step 0 of Risk you just announce your will of fighting (for surprise rules) and then after gathering dice you declare you exact intentions, i. e., use of maneuvers and so?

5) Does anybody know Bennyn Thorne's gender? The Spanish word for "Earl" does have a feminine and a masculine form. (The others we could guess from here.)

6) In p. 339. Does anybody know who is R. A. W.?

I hope these aren't too many questions! I have one or two questions more about Maneuvers, but I want to read again all the section before bothering you again.
Thank you very much in advance!

I'm so so looking forward to running a game of Houses! But I'm waiting until the Spanish translation is finished so I can playtest it and see how the terms feel for the players and that kind of thing.

Hi, thank you for contributing to spreading Houses of the Blooded roleplaying game to another language and a new player-base.

Here are a few answers:

1. Yes.

2. Up to you. I know John likes ambiguity and confusion in his text. Personally, I would unify as Mwrr.

3. Wisdom is correct.

4, 5 & 6... I will see what I can do to figure these out when I talk to John next time.

If you want to get a hold of me directly, I will pester him at my own leisure regarding the game: nihilisticmind@gmail.com
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby ad1066 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:49 pm

My guess is that RAW refers to Robert Anton Wilson, author of the Illuminatus trilogy and proponent of Discordianism.

-- Ben
ad1066

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion