Optimum number of players for HotB

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Optimum number of players for HotB

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:59 am

I ran a one-shot game at my friend's going away party. Nine players became utter chaos and the story we created was less than satisfactory.

We did not have this problem when I ran a one-shot for four players. In fact, I think that 4 players is as much as I would want to run the game for.

What do you guys think?
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Re: Optimum number of players for HotB

Postby Harlequin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I've only played once, with three players, and it went okay. It was a mostly Friendly Game, though, which could change the dynamic.

There are 6 signed on for the game this weekend, so I'll let you know my thoughts after then.
Harlequin

Postby Democritus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:30 am

I think it's important for players to learn how to use their narrative powers. I can easily imagine a 9 player game descending into chaos with a lot of unrelated details and narrative threads.

Generally players should try to add things to the game that doesn't bog it down. Details that don't drag them game in 1000sands of different directions.

I can see a 9player game working but if all players are new to HotB it's unlikely.
Democritus

Postby Incubus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:58 am

Six. six. Is the answer you seek!

5 fingers and a hand to guide it...
Incubus

Postby Snag » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:42 pm

It's really all a matter of what you're comfy with. At our house, the game can get up to 10+ players, but because they're all LARPers and John is running the game, the rotation of who is in the spotlight is pretty painless for us. There are chaotic moments, but by and large we know when to lay off the Crazy. If a 9 player game wasn't satisfactory, then by all means, start dialing it back. Or if you get another person or two interested, see if one of them would be interested in running a spinoff game.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion