How I run demo games....

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

How I run demo games....

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi folks,

I've been PM'ed to ask how I run HotB demo games. Now, the first place I would look is at Mr Wicks LJ and Blog, as he has some ace suggestions which I whole-heartedly ripped off. I'm sure there are a load listed on these forum threads as well, but I couldn't find them with the search function to add this. So, here is how I run stuff atm - Please supply constructive criticism if you think I could do something better!

EDIT: A PDF of my guide is now here

EDIT2: Usrer FrankCastle has done the following, which blows my mind:

English: http://www.conbarba.es/static/houses-of-the-blooded/hotb-demo-en.pdf
Spanish: http://www.conbarba.es/static/houses-of-the-blooded/hotb-demo-es.pdf

Wow! He deserves a "No Chip" and a Style for any games I see him at! I'll edit this post again once thoose appear in the downlaods section...
Last edited by Keith Fyans on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Re: How I run demo games....

Postby eberg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks for posting this. I am going to be running a Houses of the Blooded game at UBcon (here in Buffalo, NY) in April and these pointers are just what I needed to get me started. I'm a bit nervous as this may be the first time I run the game and I've opted not to use the sample adventure in the book, but rather one of my own design concerning the Wedding of a Count and Countess with the players all being vassals of one or the other. Any further suggestions, advice, or encouragement are certainly welcome. :)
Eric Christian Berg

Running: D&D 4e
Playing: Changeling: the Lost, The Fantasy Trip (Victorian Occult)
eberg

Postby Keith Fyans » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:31 pm

OK, I can't stress this enough: Have a run through with some friends first.

This will get you comfortable with the system to the point where the game can flow. I know I realised a few knowledge holes the first few times I ran the game, and even picked one up in the first convention demo I ran, but thanks to my prev games I was able to fudge over it without too much effort...

As for using your own adventure - don't plan too much! Have an opening line (say: The Count and Countess are to be wed), Have some NPC's in mind as you see them (but be ready for them to change ad hoc) and some general scene/event ideas (that you adapt to suit the characters as generated). Everything should revolve around you characters names, weakness and their aspects.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes!

Good Hunting,

Keith.
Last edited by Keith Fyans on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for putting this together. My three convention games roughly followed that model, but it's nice to have a checklist.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby eberg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Tsanuri wrote:OK, I can't stress this enough: Have a run through with some friends first.

I'm trying. Had a run-through planned that fell through a few weeks back. Given your insistence, though, I'll make sure to pin folks down to a night or two of play, though, before April.

As for using your own adventure - don't plan too much! Have an opening line (say: The Count and Countess are to be wed), The NPC's as you see them (but be ready for them to change ad hoc) and some general scene/event ideas (that you adapt to suit the characters as generated). Everything should revolve around you characters names, weakness and their aspects.

Yep, that was the plan. I keep stopping myself in the planning and NPC creation, limiting myself to the basic three truths and no more. Need to leave lots of room for the PCs to define things.
Eric Christian Berg

Running: D&D 4e
Playing: Changeling: the Lost, The Fantasy Trip (Victorian Occult)
eberg

Postby Velocirapture » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38 am

This may be an odd place to post this question (please feel free to move it if it should go somewhere else).

In the corebook John talks about how he brings a sample blood contract for the players to sign if time is at a premium. Does anyone have a sample blood contract that they'd be willing to share?

Even if I end up having the time for the players to build one of their own, I figure it'd be nice to have a sample for them to look at while I describe what's going on.

Thanks!
Murum aries attigit, Carthago delenda est.

Nihil admittis. Negare omnia. Fac contraria appellis.

Always interested in a PBP or PBEM game.
Velocirapture

Postby wunderworks » Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 am

Check in the in character sections. I believe I (and maybe some others) posted some blood contracts in there. :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion