HotB play-by-post?

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

HotB play-by-post?

Postby Belleville » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:46 am

As it says above ... has anyone tried to run HotB in a PBP environment? I've been considering it, and it seems that the only catch would be the question of deciding when a "session" ends, for Style-banking purposes.

I'm not sure how to handle that, though. The obvious answers are to say that one adventure equals one session, or to set a specific real-time limit, e.g. three months = one session. Both of those feel too arbitrary, but I'm damned if I can think of a better way.

I also suspect that given how slowly most PBP games move, I might need to cut down the three-adventures-per-season limit to two or even one, in order to keep the seasons turning over at a reasonable pace.

I'd be happy for any input anyone cares to offer.
Belleville

Re: HotB play-by-post?

Postby Mishka » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 am

Not all PbP games move slowly. I've been gaming L5R PbP for about a year and a half now, and can say that these games move too fast sometimes. In the games I've ran, I've always used 1 week = 1 session rule for all mechanics that required a session definition.
Mishka

Postby Skaldsaga » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 am

I was in a 7th Sea PBP that lasted for 3-4 months for one adventure. With everyone post 2 or 3 times a day. It was heavy on RPing, a conversation on a ship lasted a couple weeks and the plot didn't moved much, but we were having a blast so the GM let us have our fun. So the adventure may have taken longer then normally should.

Basically it would be up to the Players and Narrator to determine the pace.

Since HotB has Stories, meaning; a beginning, a middle, and an ending. It should be easy enough to determine when a session or story concludes.

I would be interested, if you do run a Houses PBP and are looking for players. (Or at least be a lurker, if you have enough players.)
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby Mishka » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 am

I should've also commented that the L5R PbP's I've ran and played at are large 50-60 players and 2-5 GMs ones.

Suppose that smaller games would go slower, although there is that possibility of gathering a large group and having various courts at the same time, etc. I'd love that... If I weren't playing in two L5R games and planning to co-run another one comes December ^^U
Mishka

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion