Play Dirty / Play Unsafe - the switcheroo!

General discussion and chit-chat for any other book or game John has wriiten or been a major part of.

Moderator: Snag

Play Dirty / Play Unsafe - the switcheroo!

Postby jeffszusz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Oh no! I opened up my order from IndiePressRevolution which was supposed to contain Spirit of the Century, Trail of Cthulhu, Don't Rest Your Head and Play Dirty! Inside, all those were present EXCEPT for Play Dirty, and in it's place was a book called Play Unsafe by Graham Walmsley.

I've been foiled by fate! The 116 page book I was most excited to devour was accidentally substituted with a 74 page book by some other guy!

Horror! Shame! Goddamn it.

Anyone want to shower me with pity and sympathy while i wait for IPR to reply to my email and fix the mixup?
jeffszusz

Re: Play Dirty / Play Unsafe - the switcheroo!

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 pm

O.o

I ordered a Play Safe and got a Play Dirty instead!

Well, not really.
"Someone smarter than me once said that heroes are cowards, just like everyone else, but their conscience gets in the way."

Jefferson Carter

Weekend Hero - my gaming sites, forums, and blog.
Richard
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Was Play Unsafe any good? Just wondering...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby jeffszusz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Not really, but I only flipped through it briefly. What I read seemed more common sense than valuable advice, but there might be some gems hidden in there.

Edit: He basically said "i learned a lot from Improvisational Theatre courses, and read these books (lists them) and here's what I learned and how you can apply it to gaming."

I feel like i should just go read some books on Improv instead. Which i already considered doing....
jeffszusz

Postby Solandre » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 am

Did Play Unsafe have some good advice? Sure. Was it worth $10 for a PDF? No. I've seen more content for free on blogs, so to pay $10 for 74 pages, most of which have more white space than not, was irritating. Get Play Dirty instead, or even Gamemastering from http://gamemastering.info for free.
Triple Crit Counsel & Cantrips for Writers, Role-players, and Gamemasters
Solandre

Return to John Wick's Other Books and Games