New Play by Forum Game discussion

OOC discussions about Living Shanri, LS campaigns, characters, and concepts

Moderator: Nihilistic Mind

New Play by Forum Game discussion

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 am

A few forum members wish to discuss things like logistics, story ideas, etc. Hopefully this means a new games kicks off!

PandaDad, Astelle_Mwwr, dogmirian, and others. Feel free to use Living Shanri as your new Play-by-Forum location!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Re: New Play by Forum Game discussion

Postby PandaDad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 am

UPDATED!

Many thanks!

Okay, a quick recap of some House Rules and other info.

Char-gen
As per the original concept, you get 4,4,3,3,2, W where the two 4's are in your parents' House Virtues. If your parents both have the same House, you get 5,3,3,3,2,W where the 5 is that one virtue.

Also, as per the original concept, you get at least one older sibling who is the 'favored' member of the family.

House Aspects
You get that one for free. And it counts as a Free Aspect, to boot.

Wager Threshold
Until we get enough people in this thing, everybody gets one free wager on initial Wisdom and Cunning risks (only). What makes for enough people? That would be telling (but four is probably a good figure). Why am I being such a wimp? Because of this one game where every one of the PCs took Wisdom as a Weakness...

Season Actions
Not quite sure how we'll be handling Season Actions just yet. We'll think of something, no doubt.

Setting
We're out on the fringes of ven civilization. Not quite on the frontier, but you can see it from the highest tower in your castle. Far enough out that being Bold isn't all that far-fetched, but close enough that if you really wanted to show up for the seasonal Senate session, you might manage it with a little forced marching.

---and now for something completely different---

I'm rather fond of the central conceit of Houses, and to that end I have written some translator's notes that I shared with my tabletop group the one time we tried to run it for more than a couple of sessions. I'm probably going to do that for this project as well, but rather than inflict it on the players in the game thread I'll be posting it over here instead at the bottom of this message. That's so those who care nothing for such matters can skip it without missing anything important. :D

UPDATE "Translator's Notes"

As is usual in any translation of ven texts to modern English, one must perforce explain various decisions made during the process, in much the same manner than any work brought from Chinese or Japanese into idiomatic French requires not only lengthy footnotes on the original text but a chapter or so of commentary. Given that the ven language was so fluid and flexible from season to season, if not day to day, as to permit egregious errors of interpretation when drawing from written text, this is hardly surprising. The fuller argument on this point was presented in our work on the strangely titled Orphan’s Opera, thus does not truly merit repetition here. Let it suffice to say that the title “Cavalry Saga” (1) is conveniently misleading while still seeming true to the original work.

As with the Orphan’s Opera, here we have yet another ven work that straddles the blurred boundary between theatrical script, opera, and pillow-book. Were it not for the relative lack of whimsy, the best comparison might well be the works of Mssrs. Gilbert and Sullivan, although comparison with certain classical Chinese novels also seem apt. What cannot be doubted is that the Cavalry Saga is almost certainly the work of a single author or a small group of collaborating authors. First, there is the salient characteristic of each production--the use of a trio of vashna, neither as villains or heroes so much as a chorus at the prologue and epilogue. Uncommonly, this chorus serves as the Voice of Fate rather than speaking in judgment. Second, the common archetypes grow more sophisticated over time, as though they were initially but sketches in the minds of the playwright and then acquired depth over several scripts. Third, while we can never be quite certain that fragments of stage direction have not been lost or misconstrued (2), various references within the text seem to line up with a loose timeline established by the archaeological findings published by Roby and Wick.

As always, we are indebted to the Shan’ri Research Institute for their support.

~~ J. L. Stockton, H. McWhood, A. Pratt, and T. Robert Bostwikke

(1) This is not the only title proposed for these texts, but it is the least clumsy of the lot and has thus won out over time. It was initially proposed in a joint paper presented by Freeman, Grointdahl, Kierkel, and Webster at Furness Royal College in the UK.

(2) Yllanavna is notoriously prone to ambiguity forced by the lack of nuance and inflection. The infamous dual application of vrentae when taken out of proper context needs no further explanation, to take the most basic and well-known example: when the difference between ‘love’ and ‘revenge’ is a matter of inflection alone, one cannot avoid controversy!
Last edited by PandaDad on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the plum tree wither in place of the peach. Sit on the mountain and watch the tigers fight. Loot a burning house. Clamor in the east, attack in the west. And never forget that the foe has also studied Sun Tzu." ~ XiongMao the Cranky
PandaDad

Postby dogmirian » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Sounds good, a little unclear about your translations but i am sure that will remedy itself once i see it in action.
One thing i might add in is a connection between the char's, a bit of an obvious suggestion but i am/was in a rpg where we worked together cause we worked together, and so far my attempts to get some "role playing" going on seem to be returned with blank stares (sigh).
dogmirian

Postby PandaDad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Put that in quotes: "Translator's Notes". :D

While he won't be appearing for a while, Ato has taken both of the other current PCs as Contacts. Have you chosen yours? You get to think of a reason why you know one another...

Although as a Summer, you're a bit older than the two Spring kiddies.
"Let the plum tree wither in place of the peach. Sit on the mountain and watch the tigers fight. Loot a burning house. Clamor in the east, attack in the west. And never forget that the foe has also studied Sun Tzu." ~ XiongMao the Cranky
PandaDad

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

As for connections, I've always liked the idea of you get to ask another player if you can make one thing true about them. Let me start. *ahem* Dogmirian... isn't it true that you're character is blackmailing mine into making a powerful narcotic?
Baroness Astelle Ru "If I had made the Bargain, I would have given up my Poison... is it too late for that?"
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Postby Nephandus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:48 pm

/sub
Nephandus

Postby PandaDad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 am

Astelle_Mwwr wrote:As for connections, I've always liked the idea of you get to ask another player if you can make one thing true about them. Let me start. *ahem* Dogmirian... isn't it true that you're character is blackmailing mine into making a powerful narcotic?

Most definitely! Just remember to offer a point of Style with that. :D I do believe that's how they do it in Blood and Tears, anyway.

I had a moment of mad inspiration this morning on my walk in from the bus stop to the office, but since I'm technically playing Narrator for this first round I'll let the players do their own part in determining connections before I chime in.
PandaDad

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Well, a style... or a truth on me to balance it out.
Baroness Astelle Ru "If I had made the Bargain, I would have given up my Poison... is it too late for that?"
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Postby PandaDad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Astelle_Mwwr wrote:Well, a style... or a truth on me to balance it out.

True.

And in that vein...is it true that you and Ato were nearly married, but the negotiations suddenly broke off for no clear reason? :evil:
PandaDad

Postby PandaDad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am

First in-game thread coming soon! Probably get it up during my lunch hour today.

Yes, I'm going to take the easy way out and give you a pre-season-actions Winter Party to attend, just to shake out the bugs and get us going. Any resemblance to a certain demo scenario is purely coincidental, since I'm going on the assumption that your characters are at least semi-bold and are not attending at the behest of a liege who wants something from the host/ess.

Would you rather have me include little mechanical asides in the game posts or put them here?

UPDATE: Here you go! http://housesoftheblooded.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2355

It's a bit bare-bones at the moment. I tweaked it several times and kept going "nawww, too much! Think Shakespearean stage--bare and dark. Let the players evoke the scene."

Remember that you get a free wager on Wisdom risks until we get more than four players! And that you have plenty of room to define your new neighbor.

Ideally, I leave it up to you whether you want to define the three bits from the letter now or later (that is, which relative wrote you, why you're here, and why you're worried), but by all means feel free to describe your Gift when you present it to your host/ess.
PandaDad

Next

Return to Out of Character