Advice on a plot-point (and the subsiquent actual play)

OOC discussions about Living Shanri, LS campaigns, characters, and concepts

Moderator: Nihilistic Mind

Re: Advice on a plot-point (and the subsiquent actual play)

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 am

- A spectral scene form Abans childhood: his sisters have his favorite toy, a wooden training sword, held out of reach. They throw it person to person, taunting young Aban with the laws of possesion. Aban pleads with his past self to ignore their cat-calling, that it is simply their entertainment and that if he calms down he will get what he wants; unfortunately his advice cannot be heard and the youngster cries at the pain and embarassment being heaped on by his sisters.

The sword is thrown to Abans youngest sister, a toddler in this dream. She smiles triumphantly as she feels part of her sisters group. The older Aban knows what will happen next. He runs to intercept his younder self; he leaps to tackle him but simply pasess through the memory. The young Aban smashes his fist into his sisters face. Blood streams from her nose. A high-pitch cry wells up from her throat. Young Aban smiles, recovering the sword, while all three sisters start to cry for their mother to come quick. That is when the ground starts to shake.

Thud. Thud. Thud. A colossal figure, a silouette of a huge form, casts its shadow over the scene. Young Aban begins to cry afresh with fear over what he has done. The looming, dark form of his mother questiones the young boy about what he has done and why. Aban leans in close to his former self, pleading with him to make the answers he knows now to be right, rememebring the punishment for whining and showing weakness. Suddenly Aban the Older is his former self. Looking up he makes the one excuse for what has been done.

"They took what was mine."

"GOOD. NOW GIVE ME YOUR WORD: NEVER ALLOW ANY TO TAKE FROM YOU THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT GIVE FREELY. PROMISE."

"I Promise."

Within the dream the scene changes. He is in the chamber of his former castle, being held back by two of his former spies. Faldrack stands before him victorious. A dream of recent events. Aban has had his lands taken from him. He knows he can shrug off the spies and either run to fight another day or leap forward to attempt to kill Faldrack, but put himself at risk.

The fresh promise is in the forefront of his thoughts. He throws off the spies, leaps forward and strangles Faldrack to death. As the last breath ratles from the Lean Wolf's throat a sword removes Aban's head.

TBC - I'm working funny hours this week so this will have to be serielised - I'll break it down challange-by-challange. As this is from memory I may go back and correct stuff as people prod me over the facts :)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 am

- Back upon the half-reality of the Silver Isle. On all fours. The crimson splash of his own blood marring the sands bellow his neck. Aban slowly rises, seemingly unharmed (though from the start the Narrator has been making little tally marks, and he continues to do so throughout the story... especially after asking how challenging particular scenes were...). The hazy glow making one direction look like any other. Aban rises to his feet. The Old Man stands before him. Tells him that he must listen. Aban argues that he hasn't got time - that he must find Chia. As they talk the Old Man grows strangely silent and still, and as he does so three spectres appear before Aban.

These ghostly figures talk in riddles and contradiction, of events past, present and future as if they were all one. After some discourse they agree to grant Abans journey Three True Answers (I'll insert these when I can talk with the other Spectres - I'd only muck up the order of them). They then go on to tell him Three Lies to his questions. They then fade and the Old Man begins to move again.

The Old Man removes his eye-patch. From the empty socket tendrels of darkness lash out like the legs of a black squid writhing in a slow death-spasm. When he talks he talks with the ecco of the Spectres. From behind the sound of foot-fall - Lady Chia in a trance, walking forward, slowly, purposfully. Aban grabs her, holds her in place, but cannot restrain her alone - she has no reason behind her eyes. Aban yells for his retainer to help him get her back to the ship. The Old Man slowly raises the black velvet bag containing the shards of Or'Esha. He slowly states that a choice must be made if Aban is to face his Destiny. His choice will be carried within his heart.

Aban is compelled to protect his Romance. He is also compelled to follow the path of his destiny to face Alesh Steele, Bane of the Eshu. He lets go of Chia, vowing that he will search for her unto death or solace. Taking up the shards of Or'Esha they turn into a ball of red energy, seeping up Abans arm and into his heart. The red glow expands and envelops the whole scene, blaocking out his whole vision. All else fades into the colour of Vrentae - Of Love and Revenge.

TBC
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:10 am

- The light recedes to a Rosy glow from all around. The new surroundings come into focus. Aban stands to one side of a fine court-room. Everything is bathed in a varying shade of red, from the fine paper screens to the finally carved wooden beams. A tall, beautifully muscular Ven stands opposite, his back to Aban. He wears nothing over his body, and only loose red-brown cottons trousers that bear a complex design. Long, dark locks of chestnut brown hair flow down his back. His head is turned slightly, hinting at his angular, predatory face so his words can be heard but he can see his opponent. Around his neck is a crimson scarf of the finest silks, its pattern matching the faded scarf Aban wears.

The scarf that is a Relic.

Aban knows he is in a duel. He knows which duel he is in. He knows who it is he must face. His own patron Sauven. Vaska, the Loving Blade. As a young boy it was this story, this history of his fathers family, that set Aban upon the path of the Senvu.

The tale is that Vaska was travelling the North Lands and was deemed to have suffered a grave Insult from the Marquis of Tir Torigh while attending a Summer Party. A duel was set by the Jury to take place in the glow of dawn, and it would be to the Death. Vaska awaited his opponent and at the appointed hour his opponent did enter. However it was not the Lord who gave Insult, but was instead his Swordsman - a beautiful young baroness, Blooded of the Fox.

Some say Vaska had not seen his opponent before because she was from a minor family or that he had not thought a female worthy as a duellist. Others say the wicked lord had kept her cloistered. Some tales yet say that Vaska was all to familiar with her (though not her obligations), and that they were engaged in Romance and this is what led to the original Insult being made.

In any case Vaska turned his back upon his opponent. In his heart he knew that he was bound to go through with the duel and he must fight his best. He also know he could not face the death of such beauty (or as some gossips would have it that he had to protect the Romance). In any case he donned his scarf as a blindfold (some say the scarf had been granted as Alta) and proclaimed aloud that he would not see the Death of such Beauty as to do so would shame any Ven.

With the exception of the Marquis all assembled hid their eyes behind a veil or fan (though most could still see the duel in reflections or through the fine materials). The kill was with a single pass and a single strike. So fast that none could tell what had happened. After the pass. After the pause. Blood sprayed from the looser. She fell. Silently.

Vaska took off the scarf and dropped it while walking out of the court. Not looking back. While that was the end of this tale, the story continued with Vaska seeking vengeance against the heartless Marquis. It is thought by some poetic and fanciful spinners-of-yarn that this was the only time that permission for High Revenge was 'granted' by a Court of Love...

Aban stands ready, draws his sword.

"Are you so ready to have this done? Will you not allow us a moment to contemplate what it is we do here?" Vaska asks, his finger lightly tapping the pommel in time with his opponents heartbeat.

Aban tries to calm himself. Sheaths his sword. Breaths in even time. The sound of tapping slows. But time continues and Aban grows impatient. He begins pacing. The beat becomes more irregular.

"You know the outcome." whispers Vaska.

"Why do you not turn and face me!" Aban surges forward and spins his opponent around, stepping back to a proper duelling distance. Vaska closes his eyes before seeing his opponent.

"So be it." he says as he ties the scarf into position and rests his hand upon the grip of is blade.

Aban looks upon the blindfolded form of his opponent and compels himself to act with honor. He states aloud that he will not suffer this duel to occur in unfair terms. Aban dons his relic as a blindfold.

Both wait.

The Strike comes after a moment.

After an age.

Aban stops his blow, resting the blade upon Vaska's neck. Vaska cuts the relic from Abans eyes. If falls ruined to the ground. Both sheath their Weapons. Honor has been done. Vaska takes of his blindfold and places it over Abans eyes. When he pulls it down the scene has changed.

TBC - and of course when I say "some say" in the story of Vaska, it is what everyone says but politely pretends otherwise.

Also, Artyom had placed 2 bonus points into that relic back at character creation and had no idea what it does. I knew all along what I thought it should do: If he wears the scarf as a blindfold in a duel then any Eshu can spend a Style point to gain a number of bonus dice equal to their opponents Beauty.
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 pm

The glare of the sunlight upon dusty yellow ground causes a momentary loss of focus as the roar of the crowd stuns his whole body. Taking in his new surroundings Aban finds that he is stood within an arena upon a hot day. The white marble stands house everyone he has ever known, from the lowest of servants to his parents, his cabal members, his wife, his lover and his enemies. All of them mock and jeer. Aban attempts to win some over; others he simply insults in return. He makes a show and spectacle. In return several pieces of rotten fruit are thrown his direction.

Opposite, the portcullis begins to rise. Chanting begins. A towering beast of a Ven strides through unarmed. Aban moves to draw his sword but it is gone. He tries to gain the support the crowd, but they all boo at his efforts. Yuri, Blooded of the Bear, showman-gladiator, has won them all. His tanned form glistens with athletic sweat as he flexes his muscles then strides purposefully toward Aban.

Aban runs at him. Yuri swings. Aban ducks in close. Big Mistake: Yuri grabs him into a rib-snapping bear-hug. Aban struggles as he is hoisted one way and another so the crowd can gain amusement from him. Tiring of the easy kill aban is thrown to the ground, rolling several times and throwing clouds of grit and dust up into the air to meet with the deafening cries for his blood. He had almost began to pick himself up to run when the ground began to shake.

Gaps appear in the arena floor. Sand pours from the edges down into the darkness. The centre of a maddening black labyrinth is visible. Aban takes his chances and leaps down. He mocks his opponent and dares him to come follow. Yuri seeks the approval of the crowd and upon gaining it leaps down with aplomb. Aban spots a skeleton with a sword lodged in the rib-cage, recovers the weapon and disappears into the maddening riddle.

The maze becomes dark, twisting, oppressive. It opens up into a large room. Another duel of another type awaits Aban. Unlike his previous dream-opponents this duellist is almost a parody of his last real-life opponent - A female with the Blood of the Wolf; A blood-thirsty, crazy, emotionally wild fighter. The area is split by a bottomless pit, with ropes criss-crossing the divide. The fight takes place upon the ropes. Aban defends himself by curring away the ropes before leaping to safety. His opponent dangles in the pit, struggling to climb up. Aban feels honor-bound to help his opponent up onto the ledge - the kill was not clean. He is surprised when she cuts his arm open. He finishes the fight by throwing her over the edge. He runs through the exit and into darkness. Straight into Yuri. His sword is lodged in the great bears guts. Blood runs from the mans mouth as the curse laid down by another Bear, Countess Roze, upon her death, is repeated.

You will never have an Heir.

The exit behind is gone. The walls in the darkness begin to close in, spikes of iron piercing the still-standing corpse. Aban uses them as a ladder. He climbs and climbs and climbs, the darkness closing around him, almost crushing him. Draging himself by his fingers. Clawing through Darkness. Opressive. Courage drives Aban forward and he keeps moving just to survive. Survive. Survive. Unable to see he keeps going forward and forward and forward until...

TBC - most of the above scene was narrated by Olaf - Many thanks for his take upon how to play off Abans need to be showy and the weakness in his honor
Last edited by Keith Fyans on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:10 am

Suddenly the oppressiveness stops.

He realises he is lying on the floor of a very dark room. Ahead of him tho only item faintly visible in the moonlight is a luscious four-poster bed. Fine silks and net drapes hang over the gaps obscuring a sleeping figure. Aban moves over soundlessly, gliding like movement within a dream. Like a spectre.. The drapes part and Hespa lies before him deep in sleep, heavily pregnant. The words of the curse still ring in Aban's ears. He feels the sorcery well in his heart like black-blood. He resolves to kill his unborn children in the womb.

As he watches the bump of Hespa's belly lower back to normal proportions. Freaked out Aban looks around and then notices two cribs at the end of the bed. He moves toward the first of them. The cribs fill his attention, the bed dissolving from the dream. As he watches, moving slowly, he sees two babes asleep. His arms move slowly toward the neck of the first. The second crib vanishes, the first turning into a small bed. The young toddler within it growing older and older. As Aban clamps his neck around his sons' neck he is at the age where formal training will begin.

The boy awakens. Struggles with his father. Aban feels the drive of the curse, and feels hate for what he needs to do, but feels more hatred for the weakness in his blood. He snaps the boys neck. A horrifying scream erupts from the throat of the corpse.

Aban blacks out.

Cursed.

Not too much further now - a few short yet important scenes more and the nights gaming is explained as well as I an in written word (personally I think this would be much better if I was sat with you)
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:38 am

Back upon the mysterious Silver Isle, surrounded by its haze and befuddled over which direction to take. Then a familiar cry for help is heard - Chia is near at hand, crying for her love to come as promised! (Yeah, he still fell for that one, young romantic that he is).

Running forward he comes across an old Crone sat behind a campfire of blue flame. Matted, dirty hair covers her rag-draped flea-ridden body. She cackles insanely and calls Aban over by name in a voice that sounds like a thousand cats being tortured. In reply he demands to know how she knows him. Her reply is simple:

"Do you not know the person who's charm you wear around your neck? Do you take life so readily that you cannot remember one murder from the next? Was it not my hearts blood that unlocked your Doom?"

Aban seems confused by these claims, and motions that he must go now to rescue Chia. The Crone bids him so ignore the fading cries of his love as they are not important here. She cackles and mocks. Aban notices the open wound in the hags breast, her heart pierced by a sword. Congealing blood slowly oozes and stains the rags further.

"As I told you last time we met, your fate is known to me." A piercing cackle interrupts the speech; "I stated that you were bound to be my murderer and you denied this, yet it did come to pass. I still possess the knowledge of your Fate ABAN OLIVAMA ESHU! ME-YA-HA-HA-HA!"

Aban begins to realise that the Old Crone is the same one he had murdered upo the Alter of the Ruins. He gets up and begins to make his way past.

"I know how it all comes to pass. I can offer you your salvation. Sit and talk. There is no time here."

A final, feint cry for help by Chia and Aban moves from a walk to a run. The Crone screeches a final cryptic message:

"Hespa is the key to your Doom!"

TBC - One more main scene and the epilogue to go - As an aside, for most of this scene Artyom had no recollection of the Old Crone or her importance in his plot regarding the Ruins of Doom. It was only after much Kibitzing from the other players (who were totally hooked on the importance of this characters presence) that he remembered. That said, this allowed Artyom to play Aban better than anyone could have hoped for, as that is a trait that both player and character share (though I doubt Artyom has ever murdered anyone - he would crack after about 20-30sec of questioning).
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Aban runs along and catches a welcoming sight in the distance - his ship standing tall and proud. As he approaches he notices that work has already compleated and that the boat is anchored off the edge of the isle, moored in the darkness. It seemed almost deserted. As he approached several figures appeared on deck and came forth to meet him.

Chia swept down the gang-plank to embrace her long-lost Romance. The Old Man made his way forward slowly, staying up on deck for now. A loving embrace. A firm grasp. Rushing her Captain back to his ship, talking of the crew being due back, that they had been searching for him and had found food and water to survive in the long time of his loss, but now they can be off. Important questions from Aban were being ignored or redirected to talk of casting off and making for home. The Old Man tried repeatedly to gain his Lords attention, to inform him of his research of the strange isle, but Chia keeps turning the conversation to herself - purposfully cutting off the 'mere vassal' from Abans attentions.

Will comes up into deck. The faithful Valet is still well-kept, however now he only has a single leg and looks older. Tired by years of keeping the crew in order. With talk of the crew a group can be sen in the distance. They are approaching and Chia rejoyces. Her plans are cut by the Old Man stating lowdly that Aban must stay upon the Isle.

Aban demands that the Old Man explain quickly, and betwen protests from Chia he explains that if Aban leaves without first finding the reforged Or'Esha then it will never be recovered.

The crew are coming up gangplank now.

Chia becomes desparate, begs and pleas Aban to take her home. He refuses. She rants about how the Old Man's words are poisoning their Romance. if Aban cannot she will do what it takes to protect their Love. Vrentae-a-Vrentae. She grabs hold of the first heavy weitht that comes to hand and cracks the Old Man in the side of the face. Blood flows into his one good eye. He stumbers backwards as the blow is followed-through. He catches upon the railings, flips almost entirely overboard and lands upon the ground bellow with a sickening crack.

Dead.

The men rush the deck, angered by the urder they see before them, glad to see their lord, but confussed at what to do. Aban is shocked at what has occured. He realises that he now understands the lesons of his Patron-Sauven, and those of the Isle itself. He sees he Dragon.

Will is ordering the men to take Chia into custody, they run froward with tools ready to harm her. Aban stops them with but a word. He states that he cannot meet Chia's request to travel home; both his Duty and his Honor as a Senvu will keep him upon the Silver Isle. However he cannot see harm done to another Blooded, especially one he has been so favored by. He states that for the safty of herself and the crew Chia wll be placed in the brig, and that he will leave and attempt to recover Or'Esha, however once the current stocks of food and water runs low then the crew must restock then attempt to find their way home.

Will speaks for the crew and states that they also must meet their Duty and Honor and will not cast off without their Lord. The crew all give a rousing cry in response. Chia mocks their weakness of being so easily blinded by Honor and the veth-curse that is Duty. She exaults the true Virtues of the Ven and mocks those who go of fools erands. She is especially vitriolic of one who would turn his back upon her Love.

The crew up their tools, but Aban orders than not a single hair should be harmed upon her head, and that if he retuns and finds any have mistreated her in any respect then they will have acted against one of the Blooded and shall meet his punishment. He sees Chia to the brig, leaves Will in charge of the Ship, takes up some modest supplies and walks back into the haze...
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:50 am

Epilogue

At this point it was very late at night/early in the morning and the lights (provided by blue, green and red LED's depending on scene) were turned out and a strobe turned on...

Aban walked for many days. He never encountered anyone exect himself. He realised that once out of sight of the ship he never really had. And he realised that one back in sight of the ship he never will again. Not really.

He had learned Vaska's Lesson. He understood now why the Blindfold was neeed to be a Senvu. He sat to to think upon these things. As he recounted each encounter, he marked three things - the Past, the Present and the Future. He noted Strength and Weakness. He thinks upon Vrentae.

The injury upon his arm begins to bleed. The red flow follows the line of his arms. He holds his hand as if ready to clasp a Friend by the hand. As if holding a Weapon. The tendrils of the blood flow out into the space before him as he watches and understands their purpose. As they solidify before him the tendrild turn a hard black, a magial obsidian.

They form up to reveal a Sword with the head of a wolf upon the pommel, it's eyes a blood red. The break still visable. In the glow of silver pulsating from the isle and with the emosion and will of Aban turned the sword begins to change. A bright white light gorms in his hand and begins to envelop the blade, reforging it.

Between the darkness and the light Or'Esha is Reforged. A Weapon of Silver. A Wolf with Ruby Eyes. The Bane of Alesh.

Aban retuns to his ship after many years of travel.

And that was the end of the night peeps! All the taly marks tht had been made were added onto Aban's age - He will return to Shanri having aged to be late into his Summer! He has also changed as a Ven quite significantly, which is good as he is returning to meet his destiny with Alesh Steele. OOC Artyom is off to Uni at the end of September, so we are going to wrap up his charaters story for then.

Any thoughts? This still leaves open the possability of a "frock-coats and Moon-ork" styled game, and was more about the journey of an untimately doomed Hero seeking overcoming himself. The places where he "failed" are more telling of what is to come in the Story than anything else.
Keith Fyans

Previous

Return to Out of Character