Living Shanri: Rules Changes

Rules regarding the Living Shanri sob-forums

Moderators: Snag, Nihilistic Mind

Living Shanri: Rules Changes

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Many of you will remember this fated post (http://www.housesoftheblooded.net/blog/?p=54) and everything it offered in terms of potential.

Recently, John Wick and myself were discussing what he wanted to accomplish with the Living Campaign.
We discussed the things we had both learned from running games within Living Shanri and what we thought would be best for Living Shanri in the future.

First and foremost, we want to allow more games to exist in the first place. We are therefore changing the criteria for the formation of Living Shanri Cabals (also known as 'gaming groups' in Houses of the Blooded). Additionally, we will introduce rules to allow players to bring Bold Barons characters to exist as part of Living Shanri games already established.

Secondly, we want to encourage more games to interact with each other. Our first step is to tweak the rules pertaining to travel in Shanri in order to allow more interactions, either via the forum or at the game table. The rules for location will still be important, but traveling will not have the steep costs in Season Actions associated with it.

Thirdly, we want the games to interact with the world, and we want Shanri to affect the stories on a more global level. For that reason, we will be offering Truths to Narrators on a Seasonal basis (i.e. monthly).

Finally, the game will remain a Friendly Game until further notice (and is likely to remain this way). I will simply announce now that John has a timeline of events in mind and we think that having it interact with the Living Shanri games in play would be grand. With the help of all Narrators, Living Shanri will truly be EPIC!!! Big important things are happening in the Capital and will likely have repercussions over all of Shanri!

I will be posting the official rules changes tonight, once the wording has received the big fat John Wick Stamp of Approval (tm).

Welcome to Living Shanri!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Re: Living Shanri: Rules Changes

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:01 am

Here they are, with a freshly stamped dab of ink and blood from Master Narrator Wick himself!
~~~

Living Shanri Setting and Rules
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010

“The world is about to end. And we dance and we sing.”
~

Living Shanri is a shared universe created by players of the Houses of the Blooded roleplaying game. Playing in Living Shanri is free. Players take the roles of nobles in the world of Shanri, using their own culture, allies and enemies as weapons to gain political power and prestige.

The Setting
The game takes place in the early days of the ven. The warlords who conquered Shanri (so they think) have created a Senate to represent themselves in legal matters.

The player characters start out as Barons. There is a High King. His name is Jaymen Steele. He rose to power by supporting the Barons of his enemies.
Jaymen Steele was rumored to have been assassinated in the summer of the Year Two. Jonan Drax rose to the rank of High Inquisitor and began enforcing the Laws of the ven, used to consolidate the Emperor's power during his recovery.
The Capital was closed and all contact had been with the senate had been lost. All ven prepared for war and some waged wars they would not win.
Eventually, the Capital was reopened, the Senate and laws of the ven enforced by the Emperor's allies and his High Inquisitor.
At the time of this post, it is Autumn of Year Four of Living Shanri (March 2010).
~

Approved by the Shanri Research Institute
Only material approved by the Shanri Research Institute can be used in the Living Campaign. You can find such material in the HotB Forums under “Research and Archaeological Findings.”
~

Character Creation
All characters are made with the rules and materials approved by the SRI. Currently, only information on the Research Forum and the main HotB book are approved by the Institute.
~

Cabals
A group of players and Narrator is a “cabal” for the purpose of the rules. A cabal must be approved by the Shanri Research Institute under the following conditions:
A cabal must have at least two members and cannot have more than six, including the Narrator.
A cabal must have a written blood contract submitted to and approved by the SRI.
A cabal resides on an archipelago. The cabal must provide a name for the archipelago and Three Things that are true about it.
A cabal must provide the Location of the archipelago. See “Time and Distance,” below.
~

The Bold Barons
Bold Barons do exist, and this character choice allows players to join games with pre-established cabals, or join Living Shanri events without having to be in a regular Living Shanri game.
Bold Barons should submit all Season Actions to the Master Narrator team directly if they are not a part of a regular Living Shanri game. Bold Barons are also more prone to invasions and attacks from other nobles. Please keep that in mind.
~

Time and Distance
In Living Shanri, each month is one Season. Living Shanri began Spring Season of Year One in January 2009.

Players may participate in up to three adventures/stories per month (or in-game Season).

Traveling to another character’s Domain no longer costs any Season Actions. Instead, the Narrator that runs the Cabal's Domain that the character is traveling to shares three truths about events that occur along the way. The Master Narrator team advises to make these truths complications, hardships and other interesting facts to establish how difficult travel is from one Archipelago to another.

Each archipelago must be defined by its Location. To determine a cabal’s Location, pick a direction: North, East, South, West.
~

High King: Winning the Game
If any character becomes High King during gameplay, he wins the game.

He retires his character as an NPC, now controlled by the Master Narrator Team, who will probably be assassinated shortly after going mad and trying to end the world. The player creates a new character–with ten bonus Free Points (total of 15)–and begins again.

Other than bonus Free Points, there is no official prize for Winning the Game other than Winning the Game. Unofficial prizes will be given by the Master Narrator which will probably involve including your character as an NPC in an upcoming supplement.
~

Errata
Errata will be forthcoming, with the help of benevolent players and narrators like you!
~

Season Actions
All Season Actions will be handled by the Narrator of each Cabal. The exceptions will be for Season Actions that affect the Domains of other Cabals. All Bold Barons that are not playing directly with a Narrator also must submit Season Actions with the Master Narrator Team.
~

Seasonal Opportunities
Interacting with Shanri will now include seasonal opportunities. These will be received on or around the 15th of each month and will pertain to the following Season. These Seasonal Opportunities will reward players for interacting with the main storyline, via bonus Style, Resources and other such advantages. Seasonal Opportunities will sometimes be global while other times will depend upon the location of a Cabal's Domain (in other words, North Seasonal Opportunities may be different than South, depending on what is happening around Shanri).
~

FRIENDLY GAME. Until the Master Narrator Team says otherwise.
~

Any questions about the Living Shanri game can be addressed to Fabien, at the forums (Nihilistic Mind) or preferably via e-mail (nihilisticmind (at) gmail (dot) com) with "LIVING SHANRI" in the subject line.

The game continues!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Rules