Idea for the MN Team

Rules regarding the Living Shanri sob-forums

Moderators: Snag, Nihilistic Mind

Idea for the MN Team

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm

1) Can all the errata and rules used for LS be added to the existing rules thread, as alot have been mentioned in alot of places, but there is no central check atm (alot don't appear on John's Q&A).

2) Can a stickeyed/locked thread on "Living Shanri Setting truths" be added, that includes things like who the High King and setting info for the budding LS Narrator (this would whet their appetite and generate a buzz about getting involved).

I know that peeps are busy, I just wanted to throw my thoughts into the mix and see if any of them were of use.

Keith.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Re: Idea for the MN Team

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:56 am

Also, having been reading other Cabal info - Is The Storm known throughout Shanri? I thought it had yet to come...
Keith Fyans

Postby Snag » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Living Shanri isn't strictly adhering to 'game history'. Yes, Jaymen Steele is the emperor now, but things that come after that aren't going to strictly adhere to the timeline that John whomped up.

Besides, the Storm affords too much potential amusement value to watch players soil themselves if they have the Storm incoming and no Falcon to protect them. :twisted:
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:07 pm

If someone brings The Storm to my game by way of wagers at the beginning of the game, who am I to tell them no? ;)

I just narrate here.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm in total agreement, it would just be nice for new (and remote) Narrators to have a little LS crib sheet, and the rules errata in one place.
Keith Fyans

Postby Snag » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 pm

I think part of that is Narrators or designated alternates keeping more thorough track of game events and posting them. Then we'd be able to do a master list of Truths.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm

What sort of truths would we want to share? Things like The Storm ravaging a province in the East for instance, is a given.

I was going to post it in the Rumors thread.

And yeah, things like Suaven names for the current timeline would be cool too.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:17 pm

OK, I'm resurecting this thread after a private conversation with Nihilistic Mind. While thinking on it Fabian - have a Style point - your info has been invaluable in keeping my game in the LS loop.

The main discourse was that with LS being an open game everyone OOC would know if the High King was *actually* alive or dead or if it has been unstated either way as an OOC truth. I'm running my game very much along the line of "if it ain't been given as Truth then it is free game"; and IC rumour ain't OOC truth, thus when Drax says the king lives it is stil free ngame from where I sit because he is saying that IC.

I'll admit, I was tempted when I read the original post to offer Style to say that Jaymen Steele is actually dead, but I was unsure if I was contradicting an existing Truth. My private conversation indicaes I prob would be. I'm also fairly sure that once I bring the Drax anouncement IC (prob at the grande banquet of the winter party for dramatic effect, as we ae mid-story atm), that some of the players will want to get involved, esp given the goings-on in the capital have been whole Stories for our group.

I'm sure when we have more Cabals kicking about that this sort of thing will become more noticeable so I'd like to re-iterate my idea of keeping a Living Shanri Truth Sheet to help new Cabals feel part of LS right from the get go. I'd be happy to volounteer to help with this, but I really think that each narrator keeping truths for their own cabal (or not, however your game wants to run), and the MN posting the 'world-spanning truths' may be a god approach.

What are other peeps thoughts?
Keith Fyans

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I agree. I volunteered to post the info I thought was important for other cabals. The truth is that John probably doesn't have the time to do it himself on a regular basis.

I think if we pester him about it we can get some standard truths out of him more regularly for the benefit of Living Shanri. Things that would make it easier to interact with each others games the way you've been doing it.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Now that I think about it, it may be helpful for us to reorganize and rethink Living Shanri and how it is organized. This should allow new LS Cabals to mesh more easily with the current ones, etc.

Personally, I had assumed that Jonan Drax' Laws were in effect when I ran a LS Cabal and several sessions I had ran implied that they were as well.

I think the Rumor thread was a good idea as far as creating In-Character reactions, but Living Shanri could benefit from a heavy Forum Thread of Truths Established. I think it's going to be up to the active Narrators of Living Shanri to do it. I think that John will appreciate a bit of initiative on our part and if not, it would be easy enough for him to revise it and add things, rather than wait for him to accomplish the daunting task of re-establishing what has been said elsewhere.

What do you say, Keith? Are you up to it? :) I'll most certainly help as much as I can, and I'm sure Ben will want to help as well. I know Snag has been busy and I'm not sure if he's running his LS game currently.

Either way, perhaps we can set up a 'standard package' and invite others to join Living Shanri as well.
Let's make this thing huge! :D
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Next

Return to Rules