The Wine Dark Sea

Moderators: Snag, Nihilistic Mind

The Wine Dark Sea

Postby wunderworks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 pm

After a long break and only running one session I decided to restart the campaign and also my ideas for the game.

I think having the Sea Wolf, my character, as an NPC in the game was too difficult, so without further ado I give you:

Shanri of the Wine Dark Sea:

1. The world is composed of large highland archipelagos that rise above the Wine Dark Sea - a sea of clouds that divide the world above from the world below.
2. The archipelagos are sometimes connected by High Roads - wide indestructible roads that arch throw the sky in a web like tracery between important manses
3. Where there are no High Roads there are airships to connect the Houses together and keep Shanri alive.

The Wine Dark Sea:

1. An unbroken cloud layer that divides the world above from the world below, strange colors and creatures 'swim' within this Sea.
2. The air in the World Below is noxious to all ven, blooded and unblooded. Only Smugglers and explorers venture into these badlands with breathing masks and their fire lances
3. Forests hold back the Sea, and help stave off some of the worst effects when there is a Storm and the Sea Rises Up to Wash Over the Land.

The Houses of the Blooded

1. The Elk and the Fox control Davfanna Aldrena, the capital, with support from the Earl of the Wolves.
2. The Blooded of the Wolf live on the razor's edge. In their Southern lands at their Capital they have the Earl of the Wolves, but in their northern most territories there is a popular Duke who has begun calling himself, "The Wolf Amongst the Earls." He is the Southern Earl's cousin, and has strong support amongst the Blooded of the Falcon and the Bear.
3. The Blooded of the Serpent live far to the East and while they are no friend of the Wolves, North or South, they are very friendly with the Fox and Falcon who both visit the exotic Serpent Lands. Thus the Serpent are wealthy and content to stay at home, locked in their minarets.

The changes I've made to my game may mean that I'll have to remove The Wine Dark Sea from Living Shanri, which is okay. I'm very excited about the ideas I've developed and the campaign ideas I have. Even if Wine Dark is no longer a Living Shanri game I will continue to post about it in the forums.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: The Wine Dark Sea

Postby wunderworks » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 pm

Note the Major changes I've made above. As soon as I have the characters I will have my players introduce themselves and post their characters on the forum.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 am

As long as your facts are only talking about the area surrounding your Archipelago then there would be no problems. Your isle(s) are in a strange area that is difficult to traverse (as the ground level is poisonous and an airship will have to pick travellers up). If you want to define the whole of LS with those facts then it would be contraditory to those offered by players already (we have shipbuilding at sealevel already in play).

I would say is that you've thrown alot of truths into the game (with some of your bulletpoints containing a couple of facts), and it may be worth freeing up some areas to allow the players more ability to shape things, but that said it is up to the group how you run your (air)ship :D
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Sun May 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Tsanuri wrote:As long as your facts are only talking about the area surrounding your Archipelago then there would be no problems. Your isle(s) are in a strange area that is difficult to traverse (as the ground level is poisonous and an airship will have to pick travellers up). If you want to define the whole of LS with those facts then it would be contraditory to those offered by players already (we have shipbuilding at sealevel already in play).

I would say is that you've thrown alot of truths into the game (with some of your bulletpoints containing a couple of facts), and it may be worth freeing up some areas to allow the players more ability to shape things, but that said it is up to the group how you run your (air)ship :D

^_^

I am definitely confining the Wine Dark Sea to an Area to the West of the Capital, so that it can be contained within Living Shanri.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun May 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I am definitely confining the Wine Dark Sea to an Area to the West of the Capital, so that it can be contained within Living Shanri.

Great stuff! I'm sure my players will look forward to the chance to ride in an Artifact Zepplin...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 17, 2009 11:23 am

Arisaph Steele has braved traveling across the Wine Dark Sea to attend the Solace ceremony of his good friend (and Cabal-mate) Steiner Dagul.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Wed May 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Tsanuri wrote:

Great stuff! I'm sure my players will look forward to the chance to ride in an Artifact Zepplin...

Oh Airships are magnificent, wondrous, and amazing things. Just seeing one in actionm akes me quiver.

What wonders the Sorcerer Kings did wrought!

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Wed May 20, 2009 3:10 pm

wunderworks wrote:
Tsanuri wrote:

Airships are magnificent, wondrous, and amazing things. Just seeing one in actionmakes me quiver.

What wonders the Sorcerer Kings did wrought! We can only wonder at the great things they accomplished.

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Cabal: The Wine Dark Sea