A meeting at the Solace of Steiner Dagul

Moderators: Snag, Nihilistic Mind

A meeting at the Solace of Steiner Dagul

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Having found the appropriate time to approach Vriyana Sinjin's vassal and Sword, Paethira Sheeda, Blooded of the Wolf.

He carries glasses of wine and looks at the Swordwoman's mistress parade around the room.

"You do enjoy watching from the sidelines more than I thought, Lady Sheeda... I thought you could use a break," he says quietly, putting the glass of wine in her hand. He leans against a lovely sculpture, watching Vriyana push away another eligible ven. "You need help, you know this, right?"
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Re: A meeting at the Solace of Steiner Dagul

Postby Paint Scribe » Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 pm

The prim ven sighed dramatically. "I'm not sure Suaven Thalamine could manage this. The girl is positively set against what is good for her."

She sipped the wine. Then she sighed softly and glanced at Baron Arisaph. "Do you have an idea of where useful help might be obtained, then?"

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 24, 2009 12:54 am

"I'm sure that by now you've realized I always know the right people, therefore I cannot provide useful help, but I can apply the right help to this situation," Arisaph says between small sips of wine, his delicately woven red and gold shirt folding and unfolding impressively well, making the simple movement of his arm lifting seem more graceful and calculated.

He continues looking at Vriyana for a bit longer then turns to look at Paethira. "Now there is the delicate matter of this letter that Vriyana still has not produced to Lord Dagul. As a close friend of Steiner, I have taken the liberty to write to Vriyana's grandmother, explaining how I am enough of a benevolent ven to wish to improve Vriyana's chances to... produce a legacy." He emphasizes the word enough to suggest he has Paethira figured out, or perhaps he is suggesting something indecent.

He smiles then, "What is the right help in this situation, my Lady Sheeda?" he asks seductively, knowingly teasing her.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Sun May 24, 2009 7:21 am

A small smile touched her lips. "Well, well." She gently twisted the wine glass in her fingers.

"I am amazed to find such a," her gaze flickered up an down him for the slightest of moments, "benevolent Ven, in such a backwater place as this."

She noticed something and her eyes darted back to room. She stiffened, her muscles tensing as she seemed to grow another few inches. For a moment she looked every bit the Wolf she was.

Vriyana had just slapped a young man wearing a deeply violet ruffled shirt. She said something too soft to be heard from where they were and stalked across the room. For a moment, everyone was silent. Then the young man rubbed his cheek, then grinned. "Don't worry," he called out, "I know you didn't mean it." The ven around laughed and returned to their conversations.

Paethira's jaw tightened. She took a few moments to compose herself before attempting to speak. "I suppose, one might say the help would include a young fool such as that one," she nodded at the young man who seemed completely unfazed by Vriyana's actions.

She seemed to realize she was clutching the wine glass in a death grip, and forced herself to relax. "Of course, the right help," her emerald eyes turned back to Baron Arisaph, "would lay in convincing Vriyana herself."

Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 24, 2009 10:17 am

"A daunting task... And henceforth we agree on the goal," Arisaph says.

Arisaph continues to drink his wine. Shifting a bit closer to Paethira, Arisaph speaks softly in her ear, " It is a daunting task, but it can be done... Now, as you already imagined, I must ask what the agreed upon outcome is worth to you."
As his lips nearly touch Paethira's ear, Arisaph continues to watch Vriyana, trying to determine how quickly he could get this more than reluctant ven married to an unsuspecting fool.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Paethira smiled then. "It is worth a great deal to me," her voice was a throaty purr. She turned her head slightly so that a scant finger's width separated their faces. "Of course, a man as observant as yourself must have noticed that there are some lines I will not cross. Anything else," she shrugged and her voice dropped to a whisper. "Well, surely there is something we can come to an agreement on."

Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 24, 2009 2:42 pm

"Oh, most certainly. I am a very reasonable ven... I have observed you more than you think during our travels here, and I mean it as a compliment, of course." He finishes his glass, then continues, not minding the closeness, "And yet, Paethira Sheeda, two things trouble me. Firstly, I have not seen you make use of the sword at your gorgeous hip..." A calculated mistake. Arisaph corrects himself, "I mean, the gorgeous sword at your hip."

He looks away from her, turning to look at Vriyana again, then says, "Secondly, I see that your mistress has a sword of her own, why does she need you at all, I wonder."

The final observation almost sounds like a threat, but to the cunning ven, it could mean something else, perhaps suggesting that Arisaph could use a 'Sword' of his own.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Sun May 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Paethira touched her sword's pommel, a sleek weapon trimmed in silver. "I do agree, it is a pity my sword has not been needed." She paused a moment, obviously lost in some memory.

She grimaced and released the weapon. "Though, who can say how long that will last." She cocked her head at the Baron. "My lady bears a sword, but not always the sense of when to use it."
She rested the glass of wine at the nap of her neck "Of course, i would think it a matter of honor to ensure you were appropriately protected in any attempts you should make to ensure Vriyana's... legacy."

Then she smiled a predatory smile and leaned in close to him. "Surely, such an observant ven would realize I have more to offer than just a sword."

Her long silver earrings brushed his shoulder. "Much more."

Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 pm

"Perhaps I've been looking at you under the wrong light after all," he says, gently lifting her chin up, using this subtle intimate touch to feign looking at her more closely.

"And perhaps I will see that you demonstrate your skill with a blade, but that is not the right price, is it?" He laughs then and makes his way around Paethira, observing her fine figure from other angles and making sure that Vriyana has a chance to observe the exchange as well.

When Arisaph arrives at his starting point he shifts back away from Paethira, continuing the charade he has created, looking into her eyes for a time. "I think you're suggesting that the right price is more than the mere services of a Sword... And I would gather that information is valuable in your eyes, or in the least the fact that you are yourself observant enough to know how much I value the right information... Tell me."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Sun May 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Paethira glances back at the room. Vriyana has crossed her arms and wears a frown.

The swordswoman chuckles and takes Baron Arisaph's arm. "I have heard you are a collector of forgotten lands." She watches his face from the corner of her eye, pleased to see the slightest of flare to his nostrils. "I happen to know the location of two such baronies."

She runs her index finger along the gold trim of his shirt. "They wait, even now for their barons to return. Barons who have forgotten how to breathe."

She resists the urge to look at Vriyana. "So tell me, Lord Steele, do you not think my information most," she breaths the next word, "valuable?"

Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cabal: The Wine Dark Sea