In Absentia

Post in-character scenes for Live Action Houses of the Blooded here.

Moderator: Snag

Re: In Absentia

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Lorr's expression turns to shock and he begins flipping through the pages, his eyes moving frantically. "This is... It can't be."

Lorr remembers something from his apprenticeship with Kyenin Steele. "Many books in Calaban's library refer to this book, in vague passages. It was assumed that the Aelva Danna could do it." Lorr closes the book. He slowly turns to Iyl.

"This book. This ritual. It is the ritual that the Aelva Danna used to create the world. To rewrite Shanri..." Lorr almost shakes as he says this. "Sene... Iyl. Do you intend to give this to me?"
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:31 pm

"A worthy gift, yes? More than that, I will teach you what I know of it. Which is both much and little, unfortunately. You say Calaban had books that referred to this? I think we should have a careful look at them soon."

"Anyways, what I know is this; the basic principles of the ritual, and how to cast it, even the location from which to cast it. In fact, I dare say I could perform the ritual now but for two limiting factors: I don't have access to the ruins where the ritual must be performed, and I lack a component that still eludes me. I'm suddenly hopeful that those books of Calaban's might reveal what that component is."
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am

Lorr remains quiet for some time. He closes his eyes.
"This book... This Ritual would make our world obsolete, if I understand correctly. It would... It would recreate Shanri in the image of the Sorcerer."

Lorr faces Iyl and asks, "Is that what you want me to do? Why are you not using it for yourself, Iyl?"
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 am

Iyl absently rubs his thumb across the bandaged palm of his right hand. "I can't perform the ritual yet. As I said, I'm lacking two things, and still researching and translating the text. Not only is it in the archaic tongue of the Aelva Danna, but it is cunningly enciphered, and riddled with such specific details, that I dare not risk performing the ritual until I'm sure I can do it properly."

"But I do know that more than one may participate in the ritual, reshaping the world in a collective image."

Iyl's thoughts turn to the few pages of the book he carefully removed and tucked into the sleeves of his clothes.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:31 am

Lorr is quiet again and it is obvious how hesitant he is. "Caliban's books only theorize about the existence of such a ritual and what may possibly be needed. The possibility itself that it could exist has sent countless sorcerers on pointless quests... Not so pointless it would seem."

Lorr sighs. "This is a dangerous book. Damnably dangerous. I think we should carefully consider its workings before committing to performing it, but I have to admit that I am not opposed to the thought of sharing a world, if a world we can make... For now, it would be best if we secure some chambers in order to study it in complete secrecy."

Lorr recalls the chambers above the library, only accessible via the library itself. He did not use it for his experiments but it could be rearranged to accommodate his new guest. "You know this castle well, don't you?"
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Silent, Iyl thinks for a moment before responding. "I recall enough to make my way in and out without alerting your guard. There are only one or two secure chambers that I can think of. But are you sure we should use this castle as a sanctuary? It is possible that you will be under scrutiny by the Vashna due to our known association."

"I recommend the utmost caution in all things regarding this. Secret from the Senate, your vassals, anyone and everyone really. And we study the ritual most thoroughly," Iyl pauses for a time. "We made need help from our compact. Suseri knows a great deal about the Aelva Danna, and her expertise might be necessary at some point."
Peregrine

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

Lorr begins tapping nervously on the table with his thumb. He then says, "Hmm. You're right. What do you reckon her reaction would be when faced with the opportunity to help us in this endeavor? Has she any knowledge of this book's existence? Does anyone else know?"
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 am

"Suseri knows of the book, yes. She was instrumental in getting the cipher to decrypt part of the text. Also, due to a complicated arrangement of favors, she owes me a ritual I helped her obtain from another source. To my knowledge, she is the only other who knows of this tome, and what it contains."

Iyl thinks a moment, before softly cursing under his breath. With his hands, he carefully gestures in the secret hand language favored by sorcerers, "have you kept up your studies in the hand language? It may be best to refrain from speaking aloud of this tome any longer. Trust No One, remember. Foolish to not have thought of this sooner."

Aloud, Iyl inquired pleasantly upon trivialities.
Peregrine

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Lorr's eyes grow wider and he seems nervously unable to stop his thumb tapping. After a moment he uses a fine form of the Sorcerer's speech, demonstrating his knowledge as well as communicating the following message, "I have been keeping with my studies. I am sorry that one of my greatest faults is that I am too trusting and I thank you for the reminder."

Outloud, Lorr says, "This book is clearly a fake... But still, it is an exemplary gift that I will accept as payment for granting you Hospitality. As part of the payment, I will also require your knowledge of this forgery, for as an objet d'art it is very unique."
His hands, however, communicate the following speech, "You are right to trust no one. I have been foolish to let my feelings get in the way of secrecy. Let us find a place to keep the book. You mentioned Ruins?"
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Iyl's hands flashed, though it seemed clear that using the right hand caused considerable discomfort. "This may be an extravagant and unnecessary precaution, but my recent losses have only furthered the untrusting instincts I have. And yes, I spoke of Ruins earlier. I know that Marwyn had a small network of them, though I never had the opportunity to explore them much personally. The isolation of such a place, the remoteness, and the unwillingness of most Ven and Veth alike to approach such a place might make it an ideal location to sequester the book while we study. For the same reasons, it would be a good place for me to hide as well."

Spoken aloud, "As a forgery, it is remarkable how thorough and skillfully executed the piece is. Without Suseri's help I might have forever thought it a trap left behind by the Aelva Danna. Now it's clear that some old scholar hoped to fool aspiring Wisdom seekers into thinking they could achieve the power of the Sorcerer-Kings."
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Blood & Tears - In Character