Sorcerous Art

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

Sorcerous Art

Postby Paint Scribe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 am

After I got home from LA, I found that someone had slipped a mysterious package in my bags. Curious, I opened the leather-wrapped bundle and found two journals and several worn letters. I am not certain why they were given to me instead of any one else, but I was terribly curious as to what they said. I intend to send them to SRI for carbon dating and verification.

The first was a journal of one Dyaless Silja. She was the Artisan under employ of the Earl of the House Fox. She spoke very descriptively of her private pursuits – sorcery tied deeply with her art.

The second journal was of a young Rajan named Ruyun Yvarai who personally hunted these sorcery wielders. He took meticulous notes at their uses and how to discern if a painting held sorcerous power.

About Sorcerous Art
The Sorcerous Art is one that is drawn or painted with the artisan's blood. The records are very specific here, it must be the artisan's blood. It would appear that even among the ven, artists must suffer for their work. Many common spells cast involve mixing their blood with other pigments and using the victim's hair as a brush, but in a pinch, a scrap of cloth or parchment, a dagger and a finger were all that was needed to allow the most basic of these spells. Most spells only lasted an evening, some lasted a season, and a precious few could last a lifetime. Still, any spell could be destroyed if the victim of the spell spilled their own blood over the painting. Thus, some were hidden away in vaults. Though Dyaless wrote of one she had painted which the Earl hung prominently in his dining room, daring the victim to do anything about it. His lover had turned white and fainted when she had seen the painting and realized its implications.

Also, none of these spells have the power to outright kill the victim. Dyaless recorded many attempts to influence a particularly annoying Elk Duchess to her death. But the Elk was surprising resilient to all the bad luck she sent her way. She wished repeatedly that there was a death spell, but she feared that such a ritual might cost her own life in payment.

Blood used to paint these rituals will never dry, it stays bright and fresh until the spell's power is gone. By the same token, all wounds received from performing this ritual do not heal until the spell's objective is obtained. If the spell is broken by the target's blood, then the wound will never heal and it becomes a scar (see page 202 for information about scars and how they are taggable!). Dyaless chose to take blood from her legs for longer spells to avoid others seeing her wounds and scars, and instead wore many long, elegant dresses or decorative leggings.

Notes for us on its use
Since this is Fox Sorcery, style is important. Every Artist works hard to develop her personal style and symbols for each Ven she targets. Anyone who knows this artist’s style would have no difficulty in discerning who the victim is, provided they also know the victim.

Good form would involve beauty risks to determine the rank of each piece of art.

Good form would also involve displaying high ranking Sorcerous Paintings, because they turned out too wonderful to be hidden away. Besides, who would suspect an artist of foul sorcery?

Some of the spells described
Interpreter’s Note: the term Victim indicates who the sorcery is focused on. While it is typically unpleasant to be the Victim, sometimes the Victim is actually a beneficiary. All sorcerous art demands at least one rank of injury to produce the blood needed. Of course, standard Sorcery rules apply.

Whispered Words
To associate the target, the artist must have a single hair from the Victim. She then paints the image/symbol that she will use to represent that ven.
Exactly five words are written over the image/symbol of the Victim. The ven will hear these five words repeated until morning, spoken in whispers barely heard only by the Victim. If the Victim does the command, he will get Style equal to the rank of the Art. If he does not, he will lose Style equal to the rank of the Art. The words end with the sunrise if he resists.

Ties that Bind
This requires two sets of hair. One from the Victim and one from the Beneficiary. The Victim gains a free aspect tag equal to the rank of the painting regarding the subject of the painting. The Beneficiary can tag it once before the end of the Season. The painting must be on display for the tag to work.

This painting lasts until the end of the Season, or until the Victim is tagged, whichever comes first.

Powers of Attraction
This one should involve as many pigments and materials as the artist can find. This only lasts an evening. Please note, the Victim is mentally unaffected by this ritual, though he may be confused the next day when the Sorcery is no longer active.

The Artist must know the Victim’s secret name and the secret name of the one she wishes attracted to the Victim. For one evening, the second ven becomes completely enamored with the Victim. The second ven cannot roll courage to resist the power of attraction as her secret name was part of the ritual.

And of course, infatuation/attraction may have unexpected results.

Eternal Youth
This is a dangerous bit of sorcery for the Artist, and thus most Artists claim to not know it. The Victim needs only provide a few hairs and the painting will give them the appearance of a Spring Ven until sunrise. It hides any solace aspects from sight, and their solace compels can be resisted without cost of style. However, this spell can be broken merely by having the Victim’s solace aspect tagged. Which means if the Victim is recognized and tagged, the Artist will bear a Scar (see page 202). This painting is effective until sunrise.

I Can See Your Pain
This painting is complicated and requires at least a rank two injury to obtain sufficient amounts of blood to accomplish. The Victim’s hair is incorporated in the end. This painting gets more powerful the more specifically detailed it gets.

It is easier to describe it, since we are dealing with imagery. A painting of the Victim falling down the stairs and receiving a rank 4 injury will result in the Victim gaining such an injury - provided he uses the specific set of stairs painted. If the stairs are generalized, then he will be injured, but how badly is determined by the narrator. If he never uses any stairs, he stands no danger of falling. Painting a generally injured Victim may result in him having a paper-cut when he opens his evening mail.

This painting can achieve other negative events: humiliation, failure of a Romance, loss of a vassal, etc. It must be a specific event that can be captured in a painting.

In theory, an Artist might be able to paint a death scene, but that would require a higher rank of injury to provide enough fresh blood to detail the specific scene. And, the more specific the scene, the easier it is for the Victim to escape.

The Victim gets style equal to the rank of the painting if he fulfills the painting’s prophecy.

This painting is effective for one season due to the cost on the artist.

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Sorcerous Art

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 am

Has John approved this yet? Have you had a chance to present your evidence to SRI at this time?
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 pm

yeah, this is approved. i had a back and forth with him before posting.

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 am

Woot, I'm gonna run with it :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Research and Archeological Findings