The end of a Game of Tears - a question

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

The end of a Game of Tears - a question

Postby Yslis Yvarai » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 am

First thing to say : wow.
For weeks, the translation of this pillow book had me holding my breath and impatiently hoping for the next letter.
The ending is passionnate, cruel, elegant, and would probably make a great Opera.

Yet, there is one think I didn't understand - or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to it.

Tomas using Shajar to gain revenge against Ismene for the death of Kassana makes perfect sense, and is perfectly fitting.
But when Tomas first arranges their meeting, he is not yet in love with Kassana. So, maybe it's just that he already wanted revenge (and I think I can guess why). But if this was the case, then why did he risk his life to protect Ismene against Shara ? At the time, the romance between Ismene and Shajar has not started. So, whereas I can imagine Tomas risking his life to accomplish his revenge, I find it difficult to believe he would take to risk to leave it incomplete.

So, where is the truth ? Is it simply a case of love/hate relationship ven-style, or was Tomas plot even more complicated that what I understood ?
Yslis Yvarai

Re: The end of a Game of Tears - a question

Postby JohnWick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 am

The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 am

HA! I thought about that, but decided that I might have missed something and didn't say anything. ^_^
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Yslis Yvarai » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:08 am

Thanks, Wunderworks, I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one !

As for the unreliable narrator, well, that much I had understood (BTW, wikipedia's article was interesting anyway).
In fact, it was part of the fun : knowing every letter was a mix of truths and lies, trying to understand why Tomas and Ismene (and Shajar) wrote what they wrote, and trying to guess what was going on behind the scene.
And I'm fully aware Shajar's last letter is unreliable, and yet :
- OK, he lied to Tomas about his affair with Ismene, so he's not a simple, naïve and honest ven. Well, he's a ven, so anyway...
- I can't imagine him writing such a letter if he had not really taken the black. He has lost everything : title, land, power. Why, then, would he lie to the Senate ? Especially admitting he was a fool and unknowingly commited incest !

There's something I don't understand, and I'm pretty sure it means the plans within the plans went much deeper than I thought.

And that's why I keep hoping the most esteemed scholars who translated "A Game of Tears", and who know the ven much better than I do, might have some idea as to what really happened...
Yslis Yvarai

Postby JohnWick » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:13 am

"What really happened."

No historian can tell you what really happened. The study of history is not about facts but about what people saw, confirmed by what little data is actually available.

What really happened?

All we have are the letters.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:38 am

Yslis Yvarai wrote:Thanks, Wunderworks, I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one !

Sorry I wasn't clearer - I meant I thought about the fact that the authors of the letters weren't reliable. There are a few other little bits that don't match up in the letters, but their answers are fairly obvious and just show that the narrators really are unreliable. :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Research and Archeological Findings