"The Loving Blade"

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

"The Loving Blade"

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 am

I feel I have to own up to my small deception. The pieces bellow was not of my own devising, but was a loose translation from the reminants of the pillow-book epic "The Loving Blade", following the warrior-pilgrimage of the Senvu Vaska up to the tragedy that unfolds as he enters Solace... These are held within Abbernethy Meuseum and were translated by Saul Cooper, who's sage friendship and love of fine ales I value dearly. I'll add fragments as they are translated. Please note it is hard to know which order some pieces should be placed in:

Once, the great Swordsman was deemed to have suffered an Insult from the Marquis of [the people that hunt at sea]. A duel was set to take place in the glow of dawn, and Death would be the final judge of the matter. Vaska awaited his opponent and at the appointed hour his opponent did enter. However it was not the Lord who gave Insult, but was instead his second - a beautiful young baroness, Blooded of the Fox.

Some say Vaska had not seen his opponent before because she was from a minor family or that he had not thought a female worthy as a duellist. Others say the wicked lord had kept her cloistered. Some tales yet say that Vaska was all to familiar with her (though not her obligations), and that they were engaged in Romance and this is what led to the original Insult being made.

In any case Vaska turned his back upon his opponent. In his heart he knew that he was bound as Senvu to go through with the duel and he must fight to the fullest. He also knew he could not witness the death of such Beauty (or as some gossips would have it that he had to protect the Romance). In any case he donned his scarf as a blind-fold, a scarf granted as Alta, and proclaimed aloud that he would not see the Death of such Beauty as to do so would shame any Ven.

With the exception of the Marquis all assembled hid their eyes behind a veil or fan (though most could still see the duel in reflections or through the fine materials). The kill was with a single pass and a single strike. So fast that none could tell what had happened. After the pass. After the pause. Blood sprayed from the looser. She fell. Silently.

Vaska took off the scarf and dropped it while walking out of the court. Not looking back.

Once, the great swordsman was promise-bound to fight to redress the true-pain of his close friend the following mid-day. His enemies conspired and they did arrange a great trickery, whereby the swordsman was first fooled to think the time of day was of an early hour, and then taken to the local tea house owned by a vassal of his opponent. The swordsman was asked to place his sword at the door for safekeeping and in hospitality he did, being Senvu and a Ven with a lack of cunning and the weakness of honor. A servant approached and served the swordsman his tea, but, as the sun reached it's zeneth, the servant through off his disguise and revealed himself as his villain opponent. No delay was allowed by the contract to retrieve the sword. The time was now. The senvu could see a servants entrance to run from the trap, but the curtain that veiled the doorway was black, and that path was not his to take. He rose to meet the sneer and steel of his opponent, stating that in hospitality he had handed over his sword and in hospitality he was handed a tea-cup, and with such would he fight this duel.

His victory was swift.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Return to Research and Archeological Findings