Kinship between ven & another ancient Race

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

Kinship between ven & another ancient Race

Postby VENENO » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello!

One of the burning questions for the scholars here. A thousand pardons if this is the wrong place.

Are the rumours of kinship between Melnibonéans & the ven founded (as in verified, as of now) or still unfounded (as per research hinted by Mr. Moorcock, esq.'s monographs)?

Thanks!
Ven
Eno
VENENO

Re: Kinship between ven & another ancient Race

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:56 am

While I understand that the current leading theory is that they are two distinct cultures, there have been claims that the Melnibonéans were just a representation of the later-day Ven (after the time period where the HotB game is set), or that or the later Melnibonéan finds are accurate to the culture of both peoples and the misnomer is in the term "Ven" (however this strongly appears not to be the case, see A Comparison of Ven Pottery to denote Cultural Era by Harper et al, University of Glasgow, 1996 for more on this subject).

Moorcock has certainly taken far less liberties with the archaeological evidence than Mr Wick has in his work, but that said one is a game where the sort of historical blank spaces have to be filled, while the later are novels where many of the target audience will nit-pick such inaccuracies (look at any discussion board on any supplement for an Elric-inspired RPG for that sort of thing).
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby VENENO » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello!

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realise it was still such a controversial subject (I still remember that whole '60s Cornelius debacle at Miskatonic); I mean, wouldn't the scholars agree that both theories posit some of the truth, in light of the recent advances in Medieval Metaphysics?

Ven
eno
Last edited by VENENO on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VENENO

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:08 am

Academics eh?

*sigh*
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Return to Research and Archeological Findings