Research Standards

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Research Standards

Postby wastevens » Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 am

The Phillips Letters are a collection of letters describing an Greek architectural dig, held in the private collection of Boston University along with many other instances of HP LOvecraft's early writings and correspondences.

They are particularly facinating for their transcription from the T'dalsven, or 'Our Great Rituals', descriptions of Ven High Rituals, such as marriages, funerals and 'christenings'. (Most likely, this refers to the Blooding ritual, but Dr. Phillips projected his own notions of a christening ritual on to it. It is, of course, impossible to say.)

Sadly, the transcriptions are very incomplete, only a few pages reproducing the original scripts while the remainder is poorly done half-translations. However, it's the only first hand source known to be remaining of the T'dalsven- the book itself was stolen from the dig site, and has not resurfaced since then.

I was forunate that, while visiting Boston, I was able to see the Phillips Letters first hand, and recieved copies of them. I hope to bring to light some of the High Rituals of this highly ritualized society for the Institute's work.
wastevens

Postby alexanderthesoso » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

To make sure I understand, once a work has been approved by the Institute HERE, we can then get copies, delve into them, and create our own threads showing what we have learned, is that correct?
alexanderthesoso

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

alexanderthesoso wrote:To make sure I understand, once a work has been approved by the Institute HERE, we can then get copies, delve into them, and create our own threads showing what we have learned, is that correct?

Correct. First, you submit your sources for approval, then you submit your research for approval and support. Pretty standard, really :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby primalchaos » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am

The Aria of Shadows Cycle is the popular name for a cycle of Ven operas, either by one author or several authors in collaboration. Digs around the Eastern Mediterranean have independently uncovered 4 Operas that most scholars say are obviously contemporary and from similar if not the same authorship, with similar plots and recurring characters from previous works. More than 8 other Operas are considered contenders for being included in the cycle, but it is unclear whether these works are contemporary, since noticeable shifts in character and in writing occur, and their timelines are not as clearly connected. It is believed that the initial cycle was extremely popular, and that later authors added their own prequels, sequels and additions to the popular story arc.

The Aria Cycle is noted for being a penultimate expression of Ven tastes. The stories involve overlapping stories of betrayal, romance and some of the most hideous expressions of vengeance in Ven literature. The overall theme is one of secrets, lies and darkness. Indeed, parts of it read like a Ven primer for intrigue, as well as giving insight into how the Ven managed, or did not manage, to keep the difficulties of Romance secret.

The cycle takes its name from one of the more memorable lines of the first Opera, the Tragedy of Janarra -

"Some Truths cannot be spoken between dawn and dusk
some Betrayals are too deep to be confessed in the Sun,
some Loves are too great to be professed except by the Moon,
so let us tread in the night, and listen to the Aria of Shadows."

The reputation of the cycle during its time is unknown. Some insist that the work represents an influence on Ven society equal to Shakespeare. Others believe it may just be a popular work that followed already set Ven concepts.
primalchaos

Postby JRoss » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Industries of the Ancients, by Professor Bartolomaus Rice.

I found a dog-eared copy of this book in the Pearl Room of Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon. The copyright reads "First Printing, Gotham University Press, 1887." Compiled by one Professor Bartolomaus Rice, the book contains many wild conjectures and hypotheses about the Ven's level of technological achievement. I've done a thorough job of tracing the book's history but cannot find any record of a Professor Rice at Gotham University, although their library did have a copy of Industries of the Ancients. Their copy did not have any of the provocative handwritten marginal notes that mine has, though...

Presented in its pages is a look at the various wonders of Ven technology and the Virtue of Innovation, as well as its curse. Also included are discussions of how the Ven's technology influenced the rise of the Merchant Class and its friction with the Blooded. Finally, the book expounds on the brief life of the House of the Rat and their curious, tinkering ways.
JRoss

Previous

Return to Research and Archeological Findings