Sky Galleons of Shanri

Share, discuss and review found knowledge of the ven and Shanri.

Moderator: Snag

Sky Galleons of Shanri

Postby JohnWick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 am

Recent researches reveal the ven wrote much about “sky galleons” (althenta: “air ships”). While I have been reluctant to include these in the rules (as I was reluctant to include the controversial interpretation of vadenda, or “firearms”), it seems some others have included them in their games and requested “official rules” for them.

Okay, here you go...

(read more at the HotB Design Blog)
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Re: Sky Galleons of Shanri

Postby ARudzki » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 pm

I was wondering if you had any more material relating to this, as I can only seem to locate Part 1 of your treatment for sky galleons.
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby wunderworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 am

Have you played 7th Sea and used the ship rules there? Very similar to the ship rules here.

Strength is how many levels of damage a ship can take X5 - sort of like an orc. So a ship with a 2 in Hull/Strength could take 10 levels of damage.

Cunning is how fast a ship can move and if it can get away I used a simple chase system for this system. if you could get more than 10 away from your pursuer or you fell 10 behind the pursing you were chasing then you got away/lost them. I also made attacks with fire cannon/ballista only go out to a 5 range, and then had the attacker remove one die from their pool for each point of distance between the two when attacking.

Courage was a cool catch all that allowed the Captain to move them about the ship to shore up the other positions. So before each round of combat you'd split your crew dice between whatever areas you thought you'd need the most. "Man the guns!" "Get Below and help the Carpenter!" "Away Boarders!" etc. You also lost a point of Crew for every 5 levels of damage your ship took.

Beauty was originally going to be a style pool you could use for every combat - how stylish was your ship. But it was also debated that it was the noncombat aspect of your ship for impressin' the ladies, and ALSO effectively argued that perhaps each point of Beauty was something awesome that your ship had that gave a bonus to something (but I disregarded that last bit and declared those things: Silk Sails, hidden storage, as ASPECTS). So Beauty is a style pool you can spend each scene your ship is in.

Wisdom is Maneuverability. You might think it's not important when you have speed, but it is. You want to not capsize when in the middle of THE STORM, you want to get along side that other ship, you want to rake the bow of the enemy? MANEUVERABILITY. It's a contested dice roll vs. the enemy with Manuev+Aspects+Captain's Aspect/Virtue.

Prowess - The # of dice you get for an attack, and Sky Ship Combat is Mass Murder. You better believe it. Peeps are cheap.

Does that help?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby ARudzki » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I actually have not played 7th Sea! What you're saying seems to make sense to me, so thank you!
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Beauty should also be the stat to force others to fear you. A majestic and dark sky galleon with black wood and black & Red sails... Hmmm, yeah :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Nihilistic Mind wrote:Beauty should also be the stat to force others to fear you. A majestic and dark sky galleon with black wood and black & Red sails... Hmmm, yeah :)

Oh good point! This was used as such, and I forgot. Thank you for reminding me! :D
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Research and Archeological Findings