How to keep it organized

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Re: How to keep it organized

Postby WadeL » Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 am

I'm running a game up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada... I've been using a combination of a barebones MS Access database and, well, just keeping very organized notes. I'm used to running downtime for systems like Kingdom Come or Vampire, too, though. No substitute for Storyteller sweat and tears, really.

My dayjob is, however, as a Software Developer. So don't think I haven't thought about putting an application together. But for it to be something really solid and broadly usable, you're talking at least a hundred hours of work - honestly probably a fair bit more once you do all the testing and the like. And, really, for just my own personal use, is it worth that time? I could spend a hundred hours on a piece of software...that will end up saving me 40 hours of downtime-processing work over the next year. That doesn't seem sensible. And I could hack together something quicker...but the less polish and refinement I put into it, the less time it saves me. In the end, for one person, I think the balance is essentially "Throw together a few tables in MS Access or a tracking sheet in Excel, and then do all the rest of the work by hand", which, really, anyone can do.

If a lot of people would use such a program, it might be different. If I could get, say, 100 people willing to pony up $30 for a copy, well, suddenly it becomes all sorts of worthwhile. And if this was D&D, that might be the case...but I don't think there'd be 100 people who'd pay for an application to manage Houses (whether that be, like, a Java desktop application...or a PHP website dealy, where players could go and enter their turns online, and then the ST process them from a central management page). Even including tabletop GMs, I wouldn't think there'd be the sheer numbers of folks who'd want the software to justify it...

Long story short - I'd recommend just tracking it all in a spreadsheet without automation, and just set aside the time before each game to go "Okay, I've got to add this to his Resources for his Production, now go down his list of actions for him and all his vassals, double-checking to make sure he's taking the right number of actions and not listing any vassals he doesn't have, and then..." just like you would in a tabletop game. Only multipled by 25 if that's how many LARPers you have. ;)
WadeL

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

As an overachiever who hasn't burned out on spreadsheets yet I would give it a try, but it would take a long while. I'm currently in the middle of making one for our Jadeclaw game as a character developer.
Baroness Astelle Ru "If I had made the Bargain, I would have given up my Poison... is it too late for that?"
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Postby wunderworks » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Astelle_Mwwr wrote:As an overachiever who hasn't burned out on spreadsheets yet I would give it a try, but it would take a long while. I'm currently in the middle of making one for our Jadeclaw game as a character developer.

Jadeclaw hrm? I'll have to tell you about my Kung-Fu Panda that I played back in 1999. :D
"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~

Calaban Ru ~ Evil, Back-Stabbing, Serpent Marquis who has died!
Thane soon to be blooded as ~ Zsanosz Steele ~ A Gentleven's Gentleven and valet to Lorr Silja.
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 pm

We have one, no matter HOW many times he insists he is not, we all know the truth! Also a simple thought that may have already been covered, but...have you considered benchmarks for each of the 4 phases of the season so people don't get messed up if they go to an out of town Althua and want to know if they have their resources yet or if it's too late to change their season action in response to the LARPing?
Baroness Astelle Ru "If I had made the Bargain, I would have given up my Poison... is it too late for that?"
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Postby wunderworks » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 am

Astelle_Mwwr wrote:We have one, no matter HOW many times he insists he is not, we all know the truth! Also a simple thought that may have already been covered, but...have you considered benchmarks for each of the 4 phases of the season so people don't get messed up if they go to an out of town Althua and want to know if they have their resources yet or if it's too late to change their season action in response to the LARPing?

What do you mean by benchmarks? We have a running calendar so people know how long it has been.
"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~

Calaban Ru ~ Evil, Back-Stabbing, Serpent Marquis who has died!
Thane soon to be blooded as ~ Zsanosz Steele ~ A Gentleven's Gentleven and valet to Lorr Silja.
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Never mind, it doesn't matter.
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Postby 8thavenger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:39 am

I'm working on putting a blood and tears LARP together in Louisville, Ky. Being a Developer in my day job I like the Idea of an application to organize it. What sort of things do you guys feel it would be useful to have in such an application?
8thavenger

Previous

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions