Mechanical Effect of Legwork

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Re: Mechanical Effect of Legwork

Postby wunderworks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:33 pm

TheDragonMaster wrote:Tsanuri: That's precisely what I've done. But when those quirks rely on specific circumstances... An example. I made a character with a compel of (basically) sharing more information than he should when he is around the fire. The other players fought my trying to create a scene to bring that into play (and as a result I wasn't able to do so). Other compels I've tried have been talking about past events, explaining things in a given way... really the only one that seemed to work out at all was "knows his role", or something like that. With that one it would come into play when there was a proper way for him to behave in a situation. Other than that I haven't had much luck coming up with compels that ever come into play.

Nihilistic: That would require the other players to actually want to help me achieve the goals I set. That hasn't happened yet. When other players have shown any interest in those goals (that I as player am trying to achieve), they work against me. (I'm thinking of Jay here, as well as Luther, hasn't come up with many other players).

WHAT?! Now it sounds like you're basically making stuff up. There wasn't a single time when people tried to KEEP you from setting a scene with a fireplace. Unless you re-used that compel with an earlier character I never saw any of the players actively prevent you from using your compels. Seriously, can you tell me when that happened I may have completely missed that, but I think I'd recall an issue like that. Also, if that had happened why didn't you say anything to me as your GM? My first rule of GMing is to make sure my players are having fun, and I know I told you that, so what's up?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:00 am

An example. I made a character with a compel of (basically) sharing more information than he should when he is around the fire. The other players fought my trying to create a scene to bring that into play (and as a result I wasn't able to do so).

Why do you need to set up a scene to do this? You go up in a cozy situation and blab too much, then go pick up your style token. Simples.

Now, while you may or may not have a legitimate concern regarding levels of style and the refresh ate in B&T, moaning about one particular game/group is Bad Form. Separate off your system gripe from your personal gripe. Bring the first here and we can discuss it like adults. Take the other to the narrator and players and discuss privately as I don't have to read about it. It may just be that the game they are playing isn't to your tastes. Leave out the self-made internet martyr role - I've mod'ed enough forums where that has been considered trolling to spot it a mile away.

Now, I understand we all have off days/weeks/months - heck I look back on my posts about LARPing here with Snag and note I got a bit fanatical - I have my reasons but they are not excuses* - so don't take the above as an attack, more a sharp wake-up about what I'm getting from your posts in this thread. It may not be intended, but that is how *I* am reading them, and from other reactions I'm guessing others are doing the same.

* and hopefully one day I'll meet the dude in person and apologize properly
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby TheDragonMaster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 am

Since I've only played for any length of time with one group (really two, but their made up of a lot of the same people) I don't have any way to separate my "system gripe" from my "personal gripe" (as you put it). And since this thread has kind of veered from the original post I'll just consider it closed.

I'd had an other question I was going to post, but since I wouldn't be able to provide any examples of what I was talking about without bringing up references from games I've played in, which would be hard to do without including my perception of how things went (which apparently is frowned upon here), I'll just skip it.
TheDragonMaster

Re: Mechanical Effect of Legwork - Topic Lock

Postby wunderworks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Hola!

So this post started to veer into off-topic territory and discussions of people's mama's. No not really, but it was getting personal and I've deleted and PMed those posts to the posters. The forums are supposed to be a fun place where we can all talk and try to learn more about HotB (and other games in the Off-Topic section) and not call people names or claim things about other people that aren't cordial. I aim to use this Admin power of locking topics as infrequently as possible as I'd prefer for everyone to remain civil and cool. I've only done this because I've received reports from others about posts in this forum and as a rule of thumb for myself I won't be locking a thread unless I have reports from other people that give good reasons for their concerns.

That being said, if anyone wants to continue this discussion, take it to PMs or somewhere else, but please don't call people names or harass anyone. I'd rather people stayed and were happy than people leave because of crap said in PMs.

Thanks,

The Management

P.S. This has made me notice that we don't have an official rules Post in the Rules Forum. I thought that we did, but either it decided to live somewhere else, or I'm imagining things -wouldn't be the first time - once I thought I was this evil Serpent Baron named Calaban Ru.... I will be creating and posting some nice clear rules for everyone so everything is above board and clear and no one can say there is favoritism, jingoism, popularism, collectivism, or any other ism that wasn't already covered.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions