Actual Play: Halloween Game

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Actual Play: Halloween Game

Postby eberg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:42 am

We ran our 2nd annual Halloween LARP this year using the Blood & Tears rules. It was a small event as our apartment is of limited size. The characters:

Duchess Braewyn Burghe, pregnant wife of the late Duke
Marquis Andrei Steele, the Duke's Master of Spies and Apothecary
Marquis Eris Thorne, the Duke's Master of the Road
Marquis Sharna Adrente, the Duke's General
Marquis Shepi Greve Yvarai, the Duke's Swordsman
Marquis Indira Mwrr, the Duke's Court Scholar

The premise was that the Duke had just died and these nobles were gathered to decide succession. The Duke had used sorcery most foul to ensure that they could not leave the puzzle house until the matter was decided unanimously. To make things interesting, I gave the Swordsman and General Romance aspects for each other and the Duchess the Heart-Broken aspect directed at the Swordsman. Furthermore, the Master of Spies and Master of Roads were enemies. Of course, no details were presented for any of these relationships or the circumstances of the Duke's death. In keeping with the central themes of Houses of the Blooded, the only duel was between the two lovers and the two enemies found common ground and schemed together to mutual advantage. I was pleased.

In the end, it appeared that the Duke had only faked his death in order to determine who coveted his position, but botched the ritual that held them there so that the only way for any of them to leave was for him to actually die and a successor chosen. The Duchess' unborn child was determined to belong to the Swordsman, who was rumored to be the Duke's bastard son by a prior wife, and the orc army massing at the borders, threatening the unstable realm turned out to belong to the Master of Spies, who was training them to be his own secret army. Surprisingly, nobody (other than the Duke) died. The Master of Spies and Master of Roads agreed to back the Swordsman as Regent if he swore to make the Duchess's unborn child his heir. The Duchess immediately agreed with this arrangement. The Court Scholar agreed if the Swordsman swore not to punish her for the sorcery she was forced to publicly admit to during the proceedings (she used the Quill ritual to determine that none present had actually conspired against the Duke). The last holdout was the humiliated General, who agreed to support him only if he married her and still pressed for a duel to restore her honor. She lost, but injured his manhood in the process, so came away pleased (it was established earlier that an injury she had suffered made her incapable of bearing children).
eberg

Re: Actual Play: Halloween Game

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 pm

eberg wrote:In the end, it appeared that the Duke had only faked his death in order to determine who coveted his position, but botched the ritual that held them there so that the only way for any of them to leave was for him to actually die and a successor chosen.

A classic ven Opera plot! Beautiful!!!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions