Breaking promises

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Breaking promises

Postby Peregrine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm

As there is a good chance that promises and contracts may be broken in the LARP, I am wondering what the effects of such would be. I know that being a flake is criminal for the Ven, but what are the consequences, both immediate and long term?

For instance, Thavren has a contract (not sorcerous) with Baroness Tal, and a Promise to not shed the blood of his father. If the contract is broken, it seems the most lasting consequences would be rumors of untrustworthiness. Breaking the Promise seems more dire in this instance, what with the branding of traitor on the forehead, and wearing the black for a year and a day.

So what for the LARP are the mechanics of wearing the black? The Senate (absent NPCs) will hold the land and withdraw all titles. Would Thavren's wife get ownership then, or would she be held at fault as well?
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Re: Breaking promises

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Many things may occur - Games of Insults, the formation of a Jury (as the law has been broken), private Revenge... as for the effects of wearing the Black and still turning up to parties, that is an interesting question... can you still play or do you NPC for a year and a day (IC)?
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 pm

It is likely that all things would be determined by a Jury; a fun and common occurrence at Blood & Tears LARPs I've had the pleasure to attend :D

If you break an oath and if it amuses the host of the althua to deal with the resulting dispute in such a way, the host will appoint a jury (and may choose to sit on the jury as well) in order to administer proper judgment. The two plaintiffs are allowed to make their case (Beauty Risk) as well as any other people wishing to add arguments to either side, helping the jury shape a proper and sound judgment and/or punishment.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Alright, but is a Jury convened if the oath I break is the Promise to my father? I clearly throw an insult at him (and get branded with a sorcerous mark which would be fun to explain to Tal), but he is absent from the party. And yes, the mechanical effects of Wearing the Black would be nice to know.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:56 pm

I would venture that if no one at the party claims insult, then the host has no claim calling a jury on the matter, unless he has his own reasons, etc...

As for wearing the Black... I guess we'll have to find out.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:09 am

Yeah, breaking The Oath is a big bad. You have a mark on your forehead screaming that you break promises and uses sorcery.

I'd don the Black pretty quickly, as anyone seeing you can easily concoct a reason to call Insult , Injury or even True Pain. Nobody would side with you because to do so would show their support for your indiscretion and open them up to accusation. Letting you get away with having the mark and not get harshed means that others cold do the same, others like your enemies that you yourself bound in that masterly crafted Oath. Just think if they could break The Oath and then carry on in society... even have a Jury call in their favour... No. Better to make an example than allow that to happen.

Donning the Veil allows you to avoid alot of that - remember nobody sees those under the veil unless hey act in a vulgar way, in which case the same follows as if they were unveiled.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am

Did Samurai always commit sepuku when asked to do so by their lord, or do so when they lived and their lord died in combat? That is my answer to taking the black, but then again flouting laws might mean you'll get called out at every party multiple times for fights, and hosts might not grant you hospitality.

BUT, the oath you're breaking will only become evident if it was a real Elk Oath or a Blood Contract and the word Traitor appears on your forehead. If it was just a promise to some one, then you're in the clear.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:56 pm

I doubt you are in the clear if you break a Promise. After all, Drax's fourth law is "You Own Every Promise". And besides, there is a Contract I have with my Father:

Thavren's Familial Contract:

By my Blood and that spilled by my true brother Chylven, I Thavren Avuzec Thorne make this Promise.

I here swear that I shall not knowingly shed any Blood of my Father, Vosilan Dagul Thorne, excepting mine own. In return for my longanimity for my kin, it is agreed that I shall have claim over any and all holdings of my father as his named Heir when he passes into Solace.

Should it come to pass that I take Insult or Injury from Kin and a Duel adjudicated, I shall perforce find a proxy to duel in my stead.

By our Blood we are Promised
By our Blood we are Bound

Thavren Avuzec Thorne

Vosilan Dagul Thorne

Or something along those lines, leastaways.
Peregrine

Postby wunderworks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 am

If that's a blood contract, then you're stuck, or if it's an Elk Promise (see the Devotions for the Elk Suaven in the Suaven Chapter) then you're stuck. If it's neither of those, then like the laws you can break them, of course, with consequences, but nothing as bad as Traitor on your forehead.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions