Costumes for Blood & Tears

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Costumes for Blood & Tears

Postby wunderworks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm

This week I wanted to ask everyone about their costuming experience with Blood & Tears:

So do you have the costume you want? Or are you still adding on?

How much as your costume cost you so far?

Did you get your costume from some other costuming event/group/etc.? (Cosplay, Ren Fest., SCA, etc.)

If money wasn't an object what would be the costume you'd have?

Are you thinking about making another character just because you have this kick-ass costume idea?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Costumes for Blood & Tears

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:40 pm

wunderworks wrote:This week I wanted to ask everyone about their costuming experience with Blood & Tears:

Awesome idea!

I have a few things I want to add, but they are mostly props for my character rather than part of the costume itself. For instance, the letter recognizing Tyv as an enforcer of the Senate's Laws.

How much has your costume cost you so far?

So far, around $50 cash, and lots of volunteering time on the part of Paintscribe (Thanks again!!!)

The fabric for the jacket was $20, and the hat was $30.
I'm borrowing the rapier, so it's free, and I got the black-bladed short sword as a Christmas present from a friend, so that too is free.

Did you get your costume from some other costuming event/group/etc.? (Cosplay, Ren Fest., SCA, etc.)

Nope...

If money was truly no object, I would have a different costume at every game and I would play the very rich Arisaph. I would have a tailor make me a costume every month, to reflect the trends in the game and Arisaph's tastes. Of course, he would have the most obnoxiously beautiful bows money can buy... As opposed to the poofy adornment I put together for the first LARP playtest.

Are you thinking about making another character just because you have this kick-ass costume idea?

Yes. A bear. I have cut off the sleeves on Arisaph's one-time pimp fur coat and I will be bringing a Bear when I finally have time to finish it...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Aban the White Stag » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

My Costume is various ensembles from different kung fu uniforms, robes, etc. I'm adding little things each session. For example, Aban's wife Anibella has chosen to reconcile with her husband (for what reason no one really understands yet), so he will be wearing a ring of orichalcum around his wrist that matches the one around hers. What he doesn't know is that it is an artifact that allows her to know exactly where he is, at any time.

Since I'm using stuff I've had for years (gathering dust in my closet), my costume has cost me only about $30 (for my turban of many fabrics). If you add up how much pieces of my costume were when I first bought them (as uniforms for my studio) then the price would be in the low hundreds, but they weren't originally for roleplaying/SCA/Cosplay/etc.

I'd like to get a really pimp kimono for when I Host a party(or just because). I believe opulence is the name of the game for Aban. He likes to show off, as all ven are wont to do. If someone can figure out where I can get the cool robe that the Jade Warlord wears in Forbidden Kingdom, I'd be much obliged.

As far as kick-ass costume ideas, I would like to have a Victorian gentleman costume for a Serpent Alchemist character I've been thinking of (like Frankenstein, only much more malevolent and without regret). I would also like to play a Fox playwright ( like a Marquis De Salle, but dialed WAAAAAY back) with a wig and silk and everything.
Aban the White Stag

Postby wunderworks » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Aban the White Stag wrote:As far as kick-ass costume ideas, I would like to have a Victorian gentleman costume for a Serpent Alchemist character I've been thinking of (like Frankenstein, only much more malevolent and without regret). I would also like to play a Fox playwright ( like a Marquis De Salle, but dialed WAAAAAY back) with a wig and silk and everything.

I LOVE the Victorian Gentleman Serpent Alchemist! I green tinted monocle and some Steampunk accessories would be pimp!

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 am

For the most part. I'm still trying to settle on a particular look for Thavren.

Most of my costume pieces I have owned for some time. The only new addition I purchased was the bandoleer for $35; the modifications I'm making come from my own crafting supplies.

A lot of it from SCA garb, but also some of my pieces are a sort of cultural costuming from my Ukrainian heritage.

Probably an entire costume of leather and suede of various types, in greens and browns for a true Master of Roads look and feel.

I've been thinking about switching characters recently, mostly because I've been playing with the idea of an ambitious Court Scholar who, after being secretly Blooded, killed his master and took his lands. Of course, I also want to play this Serpent as almost obviously sorcerous, and make judicious use of an Artifact with the Face of Shadows quality. "Tyv is enforcing the Fifth Law? Ah, but he forgets that I was there..."
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Loqua » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 am

wunderworks wrote:This week I wanted to ask everyone about their costuming experience with Blood & Tears:

I have the Outer Shell of Iratu pretty much done, I am thinking of going from a cloak to a full robe but I am worried about fat man and summer under such conditions. I would want to add some accessories, such as what Peregrine has with all his alchemical flasks and such. I also wouldn't mind a belt with some pouches and a stuffed animal to represent one of Iratu's Orks. And a fake weapon that looks like Iratu's kama.

$20. PaintScribe is awesome.

I would probably go with the full cloak but use a fabric that looks good but is really really light. I would go heavy on accessories. Veth simplicity mixed with the tools of his usefullness.

Not really. Most of my concepts are based of having a good story, costume not needed. Although Snag and I wanted to play Statler and Waldorf-ish Winters. We brainstormed costumes for that.

"I call this a Medium Party."
"A Medium Party...?"
"Well it wasn't Rare, and it wasn't Well Done!"
*old man hoarse laughter*
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Postby Peregrine » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Loqua wrote:I would want to add some accessories, such as what Peregrine has with all his alchemical flasks and such.

You are welcome to borrow it if you like. Not exactly the right thing for a Master of Roads in the first place. Certainly more fitting with the Alchemist/Serpent sort of character. Currently I'm modifying it a bit more, adding a satchel with a few small pouches for a quartet of small vials I have, and adding a place for a sheath for a decorative dagger I have lying about.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Loqua » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:10 am

Peregrine wrote:
Loqua wrote:I would want to add some accessories, such as what Peregrine has with all his alchemical flasks and such.

You are welcome to borrow it if you like. Not exactly the right thing for a Master of Roads in the first place. Certainly more fitting with the Alchemist/Serpent sort of character. Currently I'm modifying it a bit more, adding a satchel with a few small pouches for a quartet of small vials I have, and adding a place for a sheath for a decorative dagger I have lying about.

If it can fit around a fatguy, I would totally dig it.
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Postby wunderworks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 am

Peregrine wrote: "Tyv is enforcing the Fifth Law? Ah, but he forgets that I was there..."

^_^ I love how Tyv, who is bad-ass, has become the Sneaky Evil League of Evil Ven's new favorite whipping boy! ^_^

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 am

Loqua wrote:Although Snag and I wanted to play Statler and Waldorf-ish Winters. We brainstormed costumes for that.

"I call this a Medium Party."
"A Medium Party...?"
"Well it wasn't Rare, and it wasn't Well Done!"
*old man hoarse laughter*

Literal LOL! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME FUN. ^_^

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Next

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions