Virtuous Clarification

Discuss costumes, food, game ideas, and characters here with the other B&T players!

Moderator: Snag

Virtuous Clarification

Postby bluegargantua » Fri May 14, 2010 8:26 am

Hi,

This is a rule clarification about Blood & Tears so I hope it's in the right place.

I can bring a Virtue as an Advantage. However, if I don't bring a given Virtue as an Advantage I'm still considered to have the Virtue in question for contests that require them?

Example: I've got a Prowess of 5 but I don't bring it as an Advantage. I get into a friendly duel. The Style is calculated based on the combined prowess of the duelists. Do I contribute my Prowess of 5 or is it 0 because I didn't bring it as an advantage?

I'm assuming that I use the value of 5 because that's my Prowess and taking it as an Advantage simply gives me a bonus to win Prowess-related things.

later
Tom
bluegargantua

Re: Virtuous Clarification

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat May 15, 2010 12:54 am

In the example you wish to illustrate, here is how it would work:

You contribute Zero style to the duel via your Prowess because you did not bring it as an Advantage.

If you plan on dueling, bring your Prowess. If you brought your Prowess, get into Duels to generate style (and coolness at the game!).
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby bluegargantua » Sat May 15, 2010 9:44 pm

My example is poor. Allow me to restate the question:

Are all my Virtues considered to be 0 for all purposes unless I bring them as Advantages?

If no, when can I use my Virtue at "face value" when I haven't brought it as an Advantage?

later
Tom
bluegargantua

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 am

Why would you use something you have not brought with you?

The idea here is to limit what you bring so that you do not need to refer to something else...

Stating a full character for Blood & Tears between games. For instance, your Wisdom still determines you maximum Aspects, Cunning still determines your Season Actions, etc, etc...

I'll use a quick example to illustrate the difference between bringing a Virtue as an advantage and not bringing one. I will use two characters, Tyv Adrente and Aban Steele to illustrate this example.

My character Tyv has a Cunning of 2, but has not brought it to the Althua as one of his Advantages.
Alan's character, Aban has brought his Cunning of 5.

At the Althua, the host decides to organize a hunt. The players are asked to determine who finds the object of the hunt first.
The Narrator staff determines that a Cunning Risk is appropriate for hunting this particular ork.

The Players gather style points to perform the Risk.
Tyv has set aside 5 style points to spend on this Risk. With no Cunning, it translates to 5 Advantage points.
Aban has set aside 5 style points as well. Aban may use one of his Style points to invoke his Cunning (he has brought it with him), for a total of 9 Advantage points (4 Style points + his Cunning of 5).

Tyv gained zero advantage points, but because Cunning is not his Weakness, he was able to spend style points as Advantage points, one for one.

That's really it! You should not ever need to remember what you have not brought to the game while playing the game! :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Blood & Tears - Out of Character Discussions